(FLOSI'S Cantina) "Where everybody knows your name..."

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: (FLOSI'S Cantina) aka Where the "cool guys" of the Star Wars forum hangout...

Just a very few pics of my fan club stuff. It would take way too long to photograph everything.

iEmqq.jpg

AFmVh.jpg

ykxpf.jpg

3xeD9.jpg

Re: (FLOSI'S Cantina) aka Where the "cool guys" of the Star Wars forum hangout...

:lol I remember when they sent the Ewok "dictionary" to club members.

Any time period before the internet I consider it to be the communication dark times, so the 30s is the same for me as the 70s and 80s.

Remember, i'm referring to getting info on movies.

Of course it was harder living in general in the earlier to mid decades of the 20th century in comparison to the 70s and 80s that's for certain but for the most part anytime before the internet the only way to get movie info was thru magazines (famous monsters then starlog then fangoria).

Let me tell ya Josh, yes i'm a semi old fart for starters but I wouldn't trade in my movie going life experiences for anything!

Even just going to find the unrated Day of the Dead in a movie theater was an exhilarating and thrilling experience.

Words alone can't describe seeing these movies on initial release in a theater, and I did:

SW
Raiders
Indy Temple of Doom
Superman 1 and 2
Batman 89
Halloween 2
The Thing
Friday the 13th
Conan
Die Hard
Prom Night
Predator
Terminator
The Road Warrior
ET
Close Encounters
American Werewolf in London
Fright Night
Day of the Dead
Reanimator
Star Trek Wrath of Khan
And much more!

Yet, here I am today, a huge geek that just had an experience like no other, one that rivals my early geek days I just described.

I just watched the Pod Race with my 3 yr old son in a 5.1 home theater with 2 very powerful subwoofers and a huge screen, and him standing in the middle of the room jumping up and down and pumping his fists in the air and yelling "YES!" when little Anakin fixed his loose power coupling! :lol

He even knows how to use an Ipad 2! :horror

Life is simply amazing, if I only had these items when I was a kid! :panic:

Today I can just order a bluray on Amazon of any movie I want :lol

Remember when VHS of movies cost $100 to own :horror

Thats cool man. I can remember some of the movies I went to as a kid with my family and the memories of those times. Then you times like this summer or year really where my Dad has gone with me to literally every movie I've seen so its been awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything like you said.

i see a lot of films with my dad also... when i was a kid, it was expected... as an adult, it is by choice. we have shared most of the majors and some of the minors of the last decade together.

We all loved Starlog back in the day, but my real favorites growing up were the magazines like Cinefex and CineMagic (and occasionally Fangora). They covered the behind the scenes craftwork of filmaking and SFX. I still have a ton of early Cinefex (a much better magazine in it's early days) covering Tron, Dragonslayer, BladeRunner...

I also loved Cinefatastic. I still have a bunch of those.

We all loved Starlog back in the day, but my real favorites growing up were the magazines like Cinefex and CineMagic (and occasionally Fangora). They covered the behind the scenes craftwork of filmaking and SFX. I still have a ton of early Cinefex (a much better magazine in it's early days) covering Tron, Dragonslayer, BladeRunner...

I also loved Cinefatastic. I still have a bunch of those.

I also want to give a shout out to my dad's hustler collection that I found quicker than the Empire did Hoth :rock

I was 14 when I figured out the corner Kwik Shop didn't give a crap how old I was when I started buying Playboy and Penthouse.

I was pissed about the Blu-ray changes until I got my 720p copies of the original versions. He can do whatever the Hell he wants now.

I'm a 3rd of the way there... ROTJ burned, downloading Star Wars and ESB will hopefully be done tomorrow.

It was awesome watching Star Wars in HD w/o annoying changes... single handedly made up for my disappointment with the BluRay set.

Just a very few pics of my fan club stuff. It would take way too long to photograph everything.

AFmVh.jpg

Nice, I clearly remember those patches... I always wanted to put them on something by my mom had to "collect" them :lol Next time I visit her (should be this winter) I'll need to snap pics of her collection. She was another one who would buy anything and everything Star Wars back in the day.

On a somewhat related note; when I was around 5 I won a Yoda belt buckle from the (I think) Star Wars Fanclub for reading. Still have the buckle and contest information, although its a bit worn from me wearing it.

On a somewhat related note; when I was around 5 I won a Yoda belt buckle from the (I think) Star Wars Fanclub for reading. Still have the buckle and contest information, although its a bit worn from me wearing it.

Nice! Chase would've never won that.

Starlog...wow, does that bring back memories.

Sigh...my husband and I were weak. 30+ hours of behind-the-scenes goodies on the Blu-Ray set were just too tempting to avoid. :::facepalm:::

Little did I know that day in '77, that a lifelong obsession was being born. Though I saw the OT repeatedly in theaters, my favorite viewing was at the now-defunct Belle Meade theater in Nashville, with that marvelous 70mm wrap-around screen. Oh yes, and surround-sound speakers that made you feel like X-wings were zipping around you and that Ewoks were sitting in the back row. :D
(Well, and the first viewing, back in my hometown-my husband and his buddies were doing costumed appearances, _way_ before the Rebel Legion or 501st, and we first met while he was dressed as Darth Vader.)

I think that's why Star Wars is so special to me. You can have people piss and moan about Lucas and his ridiculous changes, but I'd rather remember what it was like to be a kid living and breathing Star Wars. I don't want to be some old bitter guy who sits at his computer shaking his fist at Lucas about things he can't change. :lol

That's the single best way I've ever heard it put, Batty. :monkey2

Nothing can take away that feeling of wonder that Star Wars gave us as children. Back when there was no back story for each and every cantina denizen, other than the ones you could make up inside of your own head. :lol

Nothing can take away that feeling of wonder that Star Wars gave us as children. Back when there was no back story for each and every cantina denizen, other than the ones you could make up inside of your own head. :lol

well said. :lecture

That's why our generation is so creative. Toys for kids these days have no imagination or creativity.

Excellent points! I enjoy it all, with extra emphasis on the original films.

*shakes fist at Batty and FLOSI*

Right on Batty! And Rich, I hear you man. I prefer the time when I didn't know what the Clone Wars was, when you had to picture what the "lava planet" or the "Imperial City" would look like. When you had to fill in the gaps yourself. Wondering what Boba Fett and the Stormtroopers looked like without their masks. A little mystery goes a long way...

I prefer the time when I didn't know what the Clone Wars was, when you had to picture what the "lava planet" or the "Imperial City" would look like. When you had to fill in the gaps yourself. Wondering what Boba Fett and the Stormtroopers looked like without their masks. A little mystery goes a long way...

See I'm the same way which is why even though I enjoy all six films I compartmentalize them when I watch them. When I watch The Empire Strikes Back I don't imagine Temeura Morrison in the suit, he didn't exist even in the minds of the filmmakers back then. No part of filming was done with the mindset that he was a clone, or that he had ever interacted with Anakin/Vader other than their brief dialogues during the Holiday Special.

I also don't even watch ESB with the mindset that Luke and Leia are siblings, because at the time they weren't! I only think about those things when watching AOTC and ROTJ respectively, which allows me to enjoy all films without being disgruntled about one film "tainting" or "ruining" another.

Yeah, I'm "right with you boss". I see them as two separate entities. I enjoy the prequels for what they are...which to me is glorified EU. They connect and then they don't. It's a love hate thing. And I love me some clones and most if not all the art design of AOTC & ROTS. But I guess if the big takeaways from the films is art design and a few characters/performances then that speaks volumes about the film themselves.

I almost view the PT and OT the way I look at the 1977 animated "The Hobbit" and Peter Jackson's LOTR. I like them both and they do cover different periods of the same story but I don't think of one when I watch the other.

Back