Financial trouble due to collecting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it helps, your ridiculous spending habbits will ensure that you wont have a wife and kids for long.

Then you can devote all your time to building up your army of plastic.

Want to enjoy this hobby freely? Pay off your debts. I'm talking about car loans, CC, student loans. You'd be surprised how much debt holds you back on financial freedom.

I ran up CC debt about a decade ago buying crap I didn't need, only because I wanted it and thought it looked cool. Before I knew it, I was working 80 hours a week just to make rent and other bills and was defaulting because I couldn't make ends meet. I almost filed for bankruptcy. I finally landed a decent paying job that literally saved me and for several years I busted my tail to pay off my debts. I now have no credit cards, no car loans, no student loans...just your normal everyday living expenses. I get paid once a month and put aside 60 percent of that for savings and retirement. The rest is living expenses and play money for collectibles. And the best part is I'm in complete control.

Your family should always be a priority. But get your finances in order before buying material things or you'll never get out of the cycle you're in.

Nice work choopie! :duff

My wife and I just finished paying off all of our dept (including cars) this month. :)

Dayum, Choopie! 60% for savings and retirement? That's terrific! Good for you! Everyone should live like that. Most people nowadays really stretch themselves thin and certainly do not save as much as they should.

My new hero! :clap

Actually, I'm in favor of cold turkey.

well, it works if we're talking about smoking cessation.:rotfl

but actually, going cold turkey can lead to more destructive/ineffective coping mechanisms. leaving behavioral, mental, and emotional state in jeopardy.

i've seen and handled people going cold turkey in terms of substance/drug abuse....not looking good.

I was in a similar position myself, but i started collecting after I got laid off. Thank god my brother(he's a member here also) lets me crash for free. I had nowhere to go so he let me stay. I saw his Terminator collection and I was hooked. He's just pissed off I got the Guardian Predator and he didn't.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

but actually, going cold turkey can lead to more destructive/ineffective coping mechanisms. leaving behavioral, mental, and emotional state in jeopardy.

i've seen and handled people going cold turkey in terms of substance/drug abuse....not looking good.

Well, we're not talking about a physical drug dependency. He's not gonna be dope sick if he completely stops buying for a while.

I think he should cancel PayPal, etc, and enjoy the stuff he has now. If I don't have means to buy anything I repose the figures I have. :)

:wave Thanks for the kudos folks.

It was hard getting there and it's just as hard to maintain it. :lol

choopie, may I ask what you do for a living? Hopeful the world won't end in 2012 and both of us have saved for nothing! :lol

choopie, may I ask what you do for a living? Hopeful the world won't end in 2012 and both of us have saved for nothing! :lol

Ha! No kidding! :lol

I work in communications at Ohio State University. I'm your textbook average middle class American, whose been threatened for two years that I'll lose my job because of the economy. So I guess that's enough of an incentive to save. :lol

Ha! No kidding! :lol

I work in communications at Ohio State University. I'm your textbook average middle class American, whose been threatened for two years that I'll lose my job because of the economy. So I guess that's enough of an incentive to save. :lol

I get that all the time too. I work for the school system (and I'm from Ohio) and I hear that a lot. We just signed a contract for one year and our union voted to freeze our wages because the school system said they were hurting for money. So we helped them out by keeping the same contract for another year. So what just happened? The teachers, adminstration and secretaries all got big raises. SUCKS!

Well, we're not talking about a physical drug dependency. He's not gonna be dope sick if he completely stops buying for a while.

I think he should cancel PayPal, etc, and enjoy the stuff he has now. If I don't have means to buy anything I repose the figures I have. :)

yeah, but it still dwells on materialistic habits which could(most likely) have emotional factors to consider. going cold turkey ill equipped and compromised can turn you 180 nutjob at the max.

chances are high for relapse or worst, ineffective coping kicks in. he could get stuck with booze and strippers, man.:monkey3

k's choice??:lol

It's not a habit, it's cool
I feel alive
If you don't have it your on
the other side

Dude, I'm like you. I have a stupid spending habit. And I have two kids. One is four and the other is a year and a half. I earn good money for a 28 year old. But I am in debt. In fact, everyone in Dubai is... easy credit and so on.

This month, I'll be digging into my mutual fund to pay for debt. This is the ultimate wake up call.

Just Beachhead, Iron Man mk6 and Black Widow. Then that's it for this year.

Back