1/6 Figure Station - Peggy Carter Head Sculpt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...now Vimal is working on Peggy. XD

da060c565223423e673917c5e54321fa.jpg

Now that does look good!!! :rock

That looks more like Kathy Bates than Hayley Atwell. Video game animation morphing programs and digital manipulation can't beat traditional sculpting when it comes to capturing a likeness.

For some reason her flesh tones always seem too doll-like to me. And for $150 I really need Hot Toys quality in the paintwork. Having said that, I would spend the $150 if she ever gave us a Sarah Michelle Gellar. With all the other celebrity likenesses she's done--she's even done Alan Alda!--it seems strange to me that she never tackled Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Fair enough. I've seen them post Hot Toys color matched paintjobs on facebook before so she can do that on request. I have ask for specific alterations in the past and they are very open to customer satisfaction.

ce261954b3ac3a1d74b459b498e10727.jpg

tumblr_n2z2agfvwt1qh8c35o1_250.jpg

Maybe squish the bottom half of the face in a little bit (top to bottom)? :huh :dunno
Nose and section between nose and mouth seem a little too long, vertically.

No one else noticed that this head includes a neck which no female figure has used since DML in who knows how long? I can't recall the last time I saw a 1/6 scale female figure body without the neck attached to the body instead of the head.

No one else noticed that this head includes a neck which no female figure has used since DML in who knows how long? I can't recall the last time I saw a 1/6 scale female figure body without the neck attached to the body instead of the head.

Interesting... hope it fits on the body.

Perfectly sums it up. The sculpt was great tho.

I ask them if they had pictures of that sculpt painted by other artist, and they told me almost every casting of that head they have sold was painted by them. The major difference in Joy's paint work and Hot Toys is the shade of the skin tone. Hot Toys tends to be too dark, especially on females. I am saving up to commission a Maria Hill from Snyderman as I was very unhappy with the Hot Toys effort. Different strokes for different folks. I can't imagine a Peggy Carter I would be more satisfied with, but it is great others have the opportunity to chose the one that they like best.

For me it's not the shade of the skin, but the fact that the paint jobs look like they're all one uniform color applied to the entire face. No gradations of skin tone, no texture to the skin, so they end up looking doll-like to me. Having said that, I would pay good money for Snyderman's Peggy Carter sculpt if it was painted to Hot Toys quality. The sculpt itself looks great.

For me it's not the shade of the skin, but the fact that the paint jobs look like they're all one uniform color applied to the entire face. No gradations of skin tone, no texture to the skin, so they end up looking doll-like to me. Having said that, I would pay good money for Snyderman's Peggy Carter sculpt if it was painted to Hot Toys quality. The sculpt itself looks great.

:goodpost::exactly:

Same here. The paint job, for me, is too flat. No shading or anything to give the face definition like the Hot Toys paint jobs.

Everyone seems to see these things differently. I am holding the Hot Toys Maria Hill at the moment. I see no shading and no texture. When you combine 1/6th of life size with the foundation makeup most actresses wear there would be almost zero texture on a female head that size. Skin tone is too dark for females in general and this actress specifically. And the likeness isn't that great. I had a few people ask me if it was suppose to be Trinity from the Matrix. So again it all comes down to individual taste. Snyderman filled a demand and for quite a while that was the only Peggy available. I don't see either of the new alternatives discussed here as being something I would want, but collectors have more options now, so everybody wins.

Everyone seems to see these things differently. I am holding the Hot Toys Maria Hill at the moment. I see no shading and no texture. When you combine 1/6th of life size with the foundation makeup most actresses wear there would be almost zero texture on a female head that size. Skin tone is too dark for females in general and this actress specifically. And the likeness isn't that great. I had a few people ask me if it was suppose to be Trinity from the Matrix. So again it all comes down to individual taste. Snyderman filled a demand and for quite a while that was the only Peggy available. I don't see either of the new alternatives discussed here as being something I would want, but collectors have more options now, so everybody wins.

You really don't see skin texture in this image?

Maria-Hill-Hot-Toys-Toy-Fair-2015-Exclusive-MMS-Figure-e1436589804721.jpg

That is a picture of the prototype, and it is showing about four times bigger on my monitor than the actual head I am holding in my hand. In hand, to the naked eye (mine anyway) that is all but invisible. If you are the type of person who enjoys taking micro pictures of your figures, or enjoys looking at them through a magnifying glass I guess texture matters. When I put a figure in a cabinet it is at least two feet away from me, behind a piece of glass. The texture is lost. My concern is always does it look like the person it is suppose to represent? All the texture and lifelike painting in the world can not make up for a weak likeness. That is why I plan to commission a sculpt of Maria Hill. I want a head people will recognize as Colbie. At this point that HT head isn't doing that, for me. Buy what you like. It is a great time to be a collector of 1/6th figures as the choices are greater and more plentiful than they have ever been. I remember when Mego figures were considered awesome, because that was all you could get, or ever hope to have.

I agree the likeness to Hill isn't great, but skin texture and gradations of color--notice the pinker areas on Hill's face that help the skin tone seem more real--make all the difference (to me anyway) in a paintjob. Here they are together:

Maria-Hill-Hot-Toys-Toy-Fair-2015-Exclusive-MMS-Figure-e1436589804721.jpg

s-l500.jpg

To me, one looks like skin, the other looks like doll paint.

Different strokes. I am not trying to build a 1/6th scale Madame Tussaude's wax museum. Like I said for me it is about likeness. I can completely accept a doll paint job if the likeness is that good. In my display case that head stands out as a great likeness and one everyone recognizes that knows the actress and the movies. When people see Maria Hill, in her S.H.I.E.L.D. outfit and still think it is Trinity, it is time for a change.

Obviously I'm a huge fan of Joy Snyder's sculpts, having commissioned multiple heads (including the Peggy Carter), and think her painting is technically superb, but I prefer a different skin tone technique (the white base plus pastel approach).

That said, let's not pretend Hot Toys is "realistic." Does it have nice variation in tone and stippling? Sure. But Hot Toys apparently creates skin tones to look good under professional flash photography conditions and are thus unrealistically dark under household lighting conditions for most light skin tones.

Obviously I'm a huge fan of Joy Snyder's sculpts, having commissioned multiple heads (including the Peggy Carter), and think her painting is technically superb, but I prefer a different skin tone technique (the white base plus pastel approach).

That said, let's not pretend Hot Toys is "realistic." Does it have nice variation in tone and stippling? Sure. But Hot Toys apparently creates skin tones to look good under professional flash photography conditions and are thus unrealistically dark under household lighting conditions for most light skin tones.

I agree, Hot Toys skin tones can be too dark sometimes. I stopped displaying my Cap with the Steve Rogers head for just that reason.

Back