Fertility Idol prop replica--PREORDER NOW ON PAGE ONE!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fertility Idol prop replica!

Hey, the original post called it a replica. I'm not there at the Con, so how am I supposed to know otherwise? From the angle of the photo, it looks like a widow's peak!

Now go take a shower before you visit any of the panels at the Con today.

True, I did mistakenly call it a 'replica' in my post...when it's actually a 'prop'!

:angelsmil

I know the owner of the Idol being shown at SDDC as some of you may as well, and it is a production made piece. Sideshow should also take note of the photo in the backround which shows the correct style of mouth which the Idol sitting in front of it mirrors the photo perfectly. My guess is that SS did get ahold of one of the Idols in the Lucasfilm Archives, therefore they are totally immune from hearing why they may not be correct. After all, if it came from the source how can they doubt it's authenticity?

What they may or may not know is that many of the existing Idols made for the production were in bad shape and were restored some time in the early 1990's for a Japanese exhibition which had a catalog that was later turned into the Lucasfilm Archives book. When some of the props where resculpted they were not exactly matching what we see on screen. Some of the minor details were changed, such as the mouth. They may have used a stunt Idol with the frowned mouth (an ealier prototype of the final Idol seen on screen) to resculpt some of the destroyed Idols for use in the Japanese show.
In short, SS may be using either a stunt Idol, which differs from the one's seen on the screen and in all photos, or they're using an improperly resculpted original, which still differs from the one's seem on the screen and in all photos.

I don't expect then to make any changes but it would be nice if we could get some sort of feedback from them. We all give it to them but rarely do many of the tough questions get taken on.

I know the owner of the Idol being shown at SDDC as some of you may as well, and it is a production made piece. Sideshow should also take note of the photo in the backround which shows the correct style of mouth which the Idol sitting in front of it mirrors the photo perfectly. My guess is that SS did get ahold of one of the Idols in the Lucasfilm Archives, therefore they are totally immune from hearing why they may not be correct. After all, if it came from the source how can they doubt it's authenticity?

What they may or may not know is that many of the existing Idols made for the production were in bad shape and were restored some time in the early 1990's for a Japanese exhibition which had a catalog that was later turned into the Lucasfilm Archives book. When some of the props where resculpted they were not exactly matching what we see on screen. Some of the minor details were changed, such as the mouth. They may have used a stunt Idol with the frowned mouth (an ealier prototype of the final Idol seen on screen) to resculpt some of the destroyed Idols for use in the Japanese show.
In short, SS may be using either a stunt Idol, which differs from the one's seen on the screen and in all photos, or they're using an improperly resculpted original, which still differs from the one's seem on the screen and in all photos.

I don't expect then to make any changes but it would be nice if we could get some sort of feedback from them. We all give it to them but rarely do many of the tough questions get taken on.

It's all in how you ask. They actually went back and redesigned several aspects of the Utapau's helmet after getting feedback, so it's not impossible.

It's all in how you ask. They actually went back and redesigned several aspects of the Utapau's helmet after getting feedback, so it's not impossible.

They made improvements to the Stormie armor for Han and Luke based on customer feedback as well! Apparently, they DO listen!

I'm pleased with the price on this: $189.99 Cheaper than the 12" Indy/Fridge set!

I am surprised they did prop replicas but for that price I will probably be down for one but if it is hollow and not heavy I might be disappointed.

I was able to talk to a Sideshow artist today regarding the Idol and he told me that the piece is heavy, but he didn't say exactly what it was made of. But the 190$ price is correct. Especially a great value since it also comes with the base.

idol.png

That's a great preview image. :lol

Its a great piece, and the base sells it. Can't wait to get this.

Hey, the original post called it a replica. I'm not there at the Con, so how am I supposed to know otherwise? From the angle of the photo, it looks like a widow's peak!

Now go take a shower before you visit any of the panels at the Con today.

Swing and a miss. I'm not at the con. There is a sign that says "PROP STORE OF LONDON" next to the piece. They only trade real props.

As for everyone guessing that this was hollow... Why would that be the case? Polystone is an inexpensive material. I feel like Sideshow's prices have somehow convinced some people that things should be overpriced and when they're not it means they are sub-par. (I won't get into the whole Sideshow is overpriced and still sub-par debate here).

Joker, you may be right. Cobra's throne is $200 and roughly the same size. I can't see it being hollow, but I guess we'll find out when these go up for preorder.

Swing and a miss. I'm not at the con. There is a sign that says "PROP STORE OF LONDON" next to the piece. They only trade real props.

There is a sign that says, "ORE OF LONDON" next to the piece. The original post did mention the store's name, though. Excuse me for not taking the store's name too literally. I suppose you think Master Replicas only makes replicas of props, too.

If you're not at the Con and don't need to take a shower, then go jump in a lake! Just remember to take the stick out, first.

I was able to talk to a Sideshow artist today regarding the Idol and he told me that the piece is heavy, but he didn't say exactly what it was made of. But the 190$ price is correct. Especially a great value since it also comes with the base.

That is good to hear!

I really like this one. Price is a bit high but for a 1:1 piece, I guess it's to be expected.

There's much worse ones on Ebay selling for $60! Fan made ones go for $300 and up! I'm really pleased and surprised at the price-point on this; I thought it would be MUCH higher!

There's much worse ones on Ebay selling for $60! Fan made ones go for $300 and up! I'm really pleased and surprised at the price-point on this; I thought it would be MUCH higher!

I thought it was going to be a lot higher as well. I think the price is perfect for this piece and I think so far it looks great. Plus that stand is so fing cool.

Back