Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I know the head size is correctly proportionate to the body. Much better than Frank & Dave.
Also, I know the TBLeague AT011 is the right body for the job. The head snaps right onto the neck ball, and the boots snap onto the ankle balls. No problem! A perfect fit.
Getting the suit onto the body was stressful though. It was necessary to remove the neck ball from the body. That was easy after heating the neck area with a hair dryer. The hard part was at the very end, lifting and stretching the metal neck ring over the neck. I slowly shifted the fabric and managed to do it, but I derailed the zipper pull from the zipper teeth in the process. Getting it back in place required the help of a friend with better eyesight than I. Anyway, it's done! Heywood Floyd is on the job, inspecting TMI-1.

Attachments

• 20230306_200929.jpg
    20230306_200929.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Now I know the head size is correctly proportionate to the body. Much better than Frank & Dave.
Also, I know the TBLeague AT011 is the right body for the job. The head snaps right onto the neck ball, and the boots snap onto the ankle balls. No problem! A perfect fit.
Getting the suit onto the body was stressful though. It was necessary to remove the neck ball from the body. That was easy after heating the neck area with a hair dryer. The hard part was at the very end, lifting and stretching the metal neck ring over the neck. I slowly shifted the fabric and managed to do it, but I derailed the zipper pull from the zipper teeth in the process. Getting it back in place required the help of a friend with better eyesight than I. Anyway, it's done! Heywood Floyd is on the job, inspecting TMI-1.
Looks great! Can you post a closeup with the helmet on?

Looks great! Can you post a closeup with the helmet on?
I'm lightly pushing down on the top of the helmet because the fabric below the metal neck ring is stiff and makes the helmet sit too high. There are a number of ways to compress the neck fabric so the ring sits lower; I just haven't done it yet.

Attachments

• 20230307_175457.jpg
    20230307_175457.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230307_175546.jpg
    20230307_175546.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Hi 2001 fans... I got a request from Executive Replicas to post this message, and some pics to go with it.
I've spent about 4 years helping research this project, and I also did the promotional pics below.
Here's the message from ER:

"Hello everyone, Executive Replicas here...We are about ready to release our 1/6th scale 2001 EVA Space Pod for pre-order but we wanted to get an idea of how many collectors are serious about this piece. It is very expensive but the factory is pushing a high MOQ to meet, so we would like to get a count from the board members to see how the pre-order would fair. When we started this project some years ago, material and labor were already high, but since then everything has doubled making the SRP much higher, and the economy right now is questionable when dealing with the high-end collectibles. The retail price will be around the same price as the 1966 1/6th scale Batmobile... not cheap, but a lot of work has gone into this, and the pics show that. So fellow collectors, if you don't mind, those of you that are interested please e-mail us at [email protected] so we can put you down and get an idea. Thank you so much for your previous support and we hope to continue the 2001 line with more products coming out."

Attachments

• 02 - POD promo reduced.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 03 - POD promo reduced.jpg
    9.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 04 - POD promo reduced.jpg
    9.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 05 - POD promo reduced.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 08 - promo.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 0
Hi 2001 fans... I got a request from Executive Replicas to post this message, and some pics to go with it.
I've spent about 4 years helping research this project, and I also did the promotional pics below.
Here's the message from ER:

"Hello everyone, Executive Replicas here...We are about ready to release our 1/6th scale 2001 EVA Space Pod for pre-order but we wanted to get an idea of how many collectors are serious about this piece. It is very expensive but the factory is pushing a high MOQ to meet, so we would like to get a count from the board members to see how the pre-order would fair. When we started this project some years ago, material and labor were already high, but since then everything has doubled making the SRP much higher, and the economy right now is questionable when dealing with the high-end collectibles. The retail price will be around the same price as the 1966 1/6th scale Batmobile... not cheap, but a lot of work has gone into this, and the pics show that. So fellow collectors, if you don't mind, those of you that are interested please e-mail us at [email protected] so we can put you down and get an idea. Thank you so much for your previous support and we hope to continue the 2001 line with more products coming out."

Done

Thanks.

The shoulder patch for my Clavius suit figure has fallen off. And the ones for the Discovery figures are also detaching. I asked Winston Dunlop at Executive Replicas what adhesive I should use to reapply them. He said the manufacturer uses some chemicals not available in the U.S. (and which obviously don't work very well, anyway) and he suggested Elmer's Glue, which does not sound like a great idea to me. Has anyone here dealt with this? Suggestions, please? Thank you.

The shoulder patch for my Clavius suit figure has fallen off. And the ones for the Discovery figures are also detaching. I asked Winston Dunlop at Executive Replicas what adhesive I should use to reapply them. He said the manufacturer uses some chemicals not available in the U.S. (and which obviously don't work very well, anyway) and he suggested Elmer's Glue, which does not sound like a great idea to me. Has anyone here dealt with this? Suggestions, please? Thank you.
Look up Fabric glue on Amazon. Many brands, mostly the same. Put a drop on the back of the patch, careful not to get it too close to the edge. When you press down on it, you don't want excess glue spreading onto the suit.

A very thin application of Elmer's Glue actually sounds like a good idea to me. When it's that thin, it would remain flexible, and it dries almost clear. Fabric glue is extremely thick and gooey and hard to handle, especially with very small amounts applied to very small places.

The prototype headset is almost finished, and I think it looks great! Just a few more details, ear padding, some polishing and some paint. After the prototype is totally finished, then the artist can tell me the final cost for each headset. After that, I will start asking for pre-order payments.
If you look closely, you will see the ends of the four curved arch wires are actually welded into the metal ovals on both sides... amazing!

Attachments

• 364547883_1267283850648537_3391482305917436487_n.jpg
    364547883_1267283850648537_3391482305917436487_n.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 0
  • 365378308_854510542775415_1331355884898202974_n.jpg
    365378308_854510542775415_1331355884898202974_n.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 0
  • headset.mp4
    1.7 MB
Back