Essence vs. exact likeness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seretur said:
And the quest for likeness isn't the same thing as a bust based on a 3D scan

Not to mention that the 3D computer scanners are quite low in resolution, so a lot detail is lost in the conversion process. That is why the likeness isn't really that close with computer scans. Maybe this will change as the technology improves.

Moria, in my mind, is an essential experience for Frodo because it is there that he realizes for true how bad things are. He loses Gandalf there. He essentially loses his major protector, mentor, and friend. It's the very first of many deep injuries Frodo will endure.

I'm not a PF collector. I simply don't have the room. I also sort of feel like the PF format is taking this hobby a bit too far. The next step is 1:1 scale, and that's a ridiculous format to attempt to collect. 12" is enough for me.

essence
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French, from Latin essentia, from esse to be -- more at IS
1 a : the permanent as contrasted with the accidental element of being b : the individual, real, or ultimate nature of a thing especially as opposed to its existence c : the properties or attributes by means of which something can be placed in its proper class or identified as being what it is
2 : something that exists : ENTITY
3 a (1) : a volatile substance or constituent (as of perfume) (2) : a constituent or derivative possessing the special qualities (as of a plant or drug) in concentrated form; also : a preparation of such an essence or a synthetic substitute b : ODOR, PERFUME
4 : one that possesses or exhibits a quality in abundance as if in concentrated form <she was the essence of punctuality>
- in essence : in or by its very nature : ESSENTIALLY, BASICALLY <was in essence an honest person>
- of the essence : of the utmost importance <time is of the essence>
[quoted-edited from Merriam-Webster online]

I personally think it doesn't capture the essence at all. I highly doubt this PF statue will smell very much like Frodo. ;)

Last edited:
jlcmsu said:
Oh I don't know I see that in this piece. Not to the degree you would see it if this was from the Crack of Mt. Doom mind you but I think in this piece I see the start of what the Ring will do to him.

That's what I see in the Weta piece. Frodo clenching the ring with a look of realization about how important and dangerous hourney will be. The PF Frodo doesn't really give me any specific feelings or thoughts about the character and that's why I choose to pass on it. It's not a pose that's unique to Frodo's character like Weta's clenching the one ring. It just seems like a generic pose that any of the other Fellowship members could be posed in. But to each his own. :cool:

Nemo Nint said:
I personally think it doesn't capture the essence at all.

I think Def c says it well enough.:D

leebgb said:
That's what I see in the Weta piece. Frodo clenching the ring with a look of realization about how important and dangerous hourney will be. The PF Frodo doesn't really give me any specific feelings or thoughts about the character and that's why I choose to pass on it. It's not a pose that's unique to Frodo's character like Weta's clenching the one ring. It just seems like a generic pose that any of the other Fellowship members could be posed in. But to each his own. :cool:

I agree the Weta piece does do that but to me personally I see that in this piece as well. Which is why I choose to buy it.:D

With the talent at sideshow...I'm sure they can get both essense and likeness..For me..It is very hard to look at essense if likeness is off...EX..arwen...Weta..It has a lot of essense...the pose is very nice but since the likeness is off the stat is worth nothing to me..legolas is another..=(...for me if likeness is way off it really doesnt matter how much essense the stat has..IMHO

I prefer an exact likeness sculpt of the on-screen depiction of the character, over "essence".

Lurtz PF is screen accurate and most everybody loves it.

Frodo PF is "essence" and most agree it isn't as good looking as it could be.

JS :peace

JSAuctionService said:
I prefer an exact likeness sculpt of the on-screen depiction of the character, over "essence".

Lurtz PF is screen accurate and most everybody loves it.

Frodo PF is "essence" and most agree it isn't as good looking as it could be.

JS :peace

Bingo. My thoughts exactly.

Even though you are right JS, I am one of the few that belongs in the second catagory. Í love the Aragorn 12" and dont like the Legolas 12" for example. I prefer essense over likeness :eek:

Back