English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real Madrid don't lose many games and friendly or not, the European champions won't have liked losing in front of 109,000 people.

At this point I think Ronaldo is only likely to return to United when he's got a couple of seasons left in him and fancies one last big signing on fee. Had Fergie not retired I think there was a good chance he would have returned last summer but he was right not to fancy playing for Moyes who would probably have put him in goal or something :lol

I watched the whole game on MUTV and after last season it was almost surreal watching them attacking a team like Real Madrid in such a positive fashion.

The game with Liverpool will probably give a better indication of how they'll do in the league and it'll be intresting to see how some of the newcomers handle it.

:lol Probably.

Well that's great to hear. Hopefully the positivity and fearlessness will follow into the league performances.

The Liverpool match will be interesting for many reasons. And as you say, we'll be able to more accurately gauge how the team may perform in the league.

:lol Probably.

Well that's great to hear. Hopefully the positivity and fearlessness will follow into the league performances.

The Liverpool match will be interesting for many reasons. And as you say, we'll be able to more accurately gauge how the team may perform in the league.

Yep, it's no use having a good pre-season if the results in the league don't come but looking at the first few fixtures there's every reason to be confident that they'll get off to a good start.

It looks like LvG is going to be deciding who's staying and who isn't when they get back from the States,
https://www1.skysports.com/football...er-united-players-will-learn-their-fates-soon

So we might finally see some more transfer activity soon.

I've heard many Utd fans recently who think because they've had a good pre-season they're automatic title contenders next season. Tonight's result will have no bearing whatsoever on the League come two weeks time.

I've heard many Utd fans recently who think because they've had a good pre-season they're automatic title contenders next season. Tonight's result will have no bearing whatsoever on the League come two weeks time.

Doesn't mean all United fans think that way.

I think they can get 3rd or 4th, but there still needs to be a few more new faces before a sustained title challenge can be mounted.

You NEED a top quality centre back for a start.

Given the system they're playing I think two more quality centre backs are needed. Phil Jones is going to be solid but Evans and Smalling are mediocre and injury prone.

They also need,

a right wing back ( 'cos Rafael and Valencia suck )
a midfield battler in the mould of Roy Keane ( If the Vidal rumors are just BS then I can see LvG waiting until January and going for Kevin Strootman. )
another decent striker ( Chicharito is looking extremely likely to make his exit before the season starts. )

Yep, it's no use having a good pre-season if the results in the league don't come but looking at the first few fixtures there's every reason to be confident that they'll get off to a good start.

It looks like LvG is going to be deciding who's staying and who isn't when they get back from the States,
https://www1.skysports.com/football...er-united-players-will-learn-their-fates-soon

So we might finally see some more transfer activity soon.

Yeah, hopefully we'll start seeing more ins-and-outs now.

And another win for United. Didn't watch the game, but I did see van Gaal say he thought the performance against Real Madrid was better. Regardless, 5 wins in a row is a huge boost for morale, and it can only be beneficial for the start of the season.

Yeah, hopefully we'll start seeing more ins-and-outs now.

And another win for United. Didn't watch the game, but I did see van Gaal say he thought the performance against Real Madrid was better. Regardless, 5 wins in a row is a huge boost for morale, and it can only be beneficial for the start of the season.

Sky Sports are now saying Barcelona have bid for Vermaelen so that's probably one less potential target but to be honest I think United should be aiming higher for any new defensive recruits....£30 million and Kagawa for Hummels should get Dortmund's attention.

Not that the present defense has done badly under the new system as they only conceded 4 goals in 5 games and only 1 came from open play.

One thing that came from the Liverpool game was a look at how van Gaal's United respond to going behind.

Liverpool scored early and were in control for most of the half.

A year ago that would have been game over because Moyes hadn't the tactical ability to make positive changes and he would have sent the players out for the second half thinking that the only possible thing they could achieve was damage limitation.

This year United's heads didn't go down and after Liverpool missed chances to extend their lead they finally got back into the game with two quick goals from Rooney and Mata. After that it was pretty even until Jesse Lingard got the third late on.

The positive approach from van Gaal is already working very well, the body language of the players is noticeably better and they're clearly enjoying the 3-5-2 and at times have played the sort of football that was impossible with the 10-0-0 formation Moyes used to favor.

Now they have to take the pre-season form into the league campaign.

Sky Sports are now saying Barcelona have bid for Vermaelen so that's probably one less potential target but to be honest I think United should be aiming higher for any new defensive recruits....£30 million and Kagawa for Hummels should get Dortmund's attention.

Not that the present defense has done badly under the new system as they only conceded 4 goals in 5 games and only 1 came from open play.

One thing that came from the Liverpool game was a look at how van Gaal's United respond to going behind.

Liverpool scored early and were in control for most of the half.

A year ago that would have been game over because Moyes hadn't the tactical ability to make positive changes and he would have sent the players out for the second half thinking that the only possible thing they could achieve was damage limitation.

This year United's heads didn't go down and after Liverpool missed chances to extend their lead they finally got back into the game with two quick goals from Rooney and Mata. After that it was pretty even until Jesse Lingard got the third late on.

The positive approach from van Gaal is already working very well, the body language of the players is noticeably better and they're clearly enjoying the 3-5-2 and at times have played the sort of football that was impossible with the 10-0-0 formation Moyes used to favor.

Now they have to take the pre-season form into the league campaign.

Even though Vermaelen would have been a decent addition, I agree, I think they should aim higher. His form hasn't been particularly great the past couple of seasons. He has rarely even played.

On the topic of transfers I think Sky Italia reported that United have made a bid for Juan Cuadrado. He was excellent for Colombia and showed incredible pace and energy, so he'd be a fantastic winger/wing-back if he were to join United.

Great to hear that they responded positively after going down. Something that was obviously not apparent last season. From everything I've seen and heard the players seem to be embracing van Gaal and the new formation. Top 4 seems like a real possibility at the moment, as long as they continue their current form.

Even though Vermaelen would have been a decent addition, I agree, I think they should aim higher. His form hasn't been particularly great the past couple of seasons. He has rarely even played.

On the topic of transfers I think Sky Italia reported that United have made a bid for Juan Cuadrado. He was excellent for Colombia and showed incredible pace and energy, so he'd be a fantastic winger/wing-back if he were to join United.

Great to hear that they responded positively after going down. Something that was obviously not apparent last season. From everything I've seen and heard the players seem to be embracing van Gaal and the new formation. Top 4 seems like a real possibility at the moment, as long as they continue their current form.

Does Cuadrado play on the right or left?

After a successful trip to the States there's more good news as Phil Neville has confirmed he's no longer part of the coaching staff :yess:

Xavi has been quoted as saying one of the few regrets in his career was never playing alongside Scholes....in years to come I don't think we'll hear Messi saying the same about Cleverley :rotfl

Deandre Yedlin to Spurs rumors are picking up.

Oh yeah, tip of the cap to the MLS all stars, poor sports at Bayren I see. lol!

Does Cuadrado play on the right or left?

After a successful trip to the States there's more good news as Phil Neville has confirmed he's no longer part of the coaching staff :yess:

Xavi has been quoted as saying one of the few regrets in his career was never playing alongside Scholes....in years to come I don't think we'll hear Messi saying the same about Cleverley :rotfl

:rotfl

I'm not sure exactly, but I think he plays on the right.

This is interesting: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-handed-angel-di-4019031

Deandre Yedlin to Spurs rumors are picking up.

Oh yeah, tip of the cap to the MLS all stars, poor sports at Bayren I see. lol!

So why exactly didn't Pep shake any hands? Was it because he thought they were too rough?

So why exactly didn't Pep shake any hands? Was it because he thought they were too rough?

That's what is assumed, but he won't comment on why he didn't shake hands. He said he wants a rematch next year though, so clearly he didn't take things too well, lol!

That's what is assumed, but he won't comment on why he didn't shake hands. He said he wants a rematch next year though, so clearly he didn't take things too well, lol!

Ha! That sounds like something my friends and I would say when we beat each other at FIFA. :lol

If Cuadrado can play on the right, he can replace Valencia.

PSG dropping out of the chase for Di Maria is potentially good news....if United are intrested.

Sky's website are quoting Wenger as having admitted that United are among the clubs intrested in Vermaelen so it looks like there's actually some substance to that particular story.

EDIT
Several bookies have suspended betting on Vidal to United.

The latest reports are saying he's verbally agreed a 5 year deal worth £182,000 a week but United want him to go through a medical before they even discuss the transfer fee as van Gaal still has concerns about his recovery from the knee surgery he had before the World Cup.

Di Maria would be a great marquee signing. And he's pretty versatile.

Yeah, I've also read that he's even gone as far as to say United have made a bid for him. Whether that's completely accurate or not, who knows. But it seems if there is a deal that is closest to being done, it's that one. It's been said that Vermaelen himself would rather go to United than Barca, as well.

Well that's kind of promising news, and the part about concerns over his knee is logical. The last thing you'd want is a huge signing to miss most of the season because of an injury. If the transfer does go through, brilliant, but if it doesn't due to his knee then I would not be disappointed as there is a valid reason.

Because if you aw the game, Bayern were playing it like a lax preseason with a lot of first team players, the MLS guys were playing like a bunch of psyched up people who wanted to prove a point. The tackling that was happening is reminscent of a CL knockout match, which is what incensed Pep as he doesnt want a preseason to signal of injury lists for players who need more time to recover following a longer WC campain and a long season previously.

Simple deal is Bayern played it like a preseason friendly, MLS played it like a competitive game hence Pep was not happy considering the Bundesliga starts earliest and also he doesnt want key players tacking any knocks with the season so close.

Because if you aw the game, Bayern were playing it like a lax preseason with a lot of first team players, the MLS guys were playing like a bunch of psyched up people who wanted to prove a point. The tackling that was happening is reminscent of a CL knockout match, which is what incensed Pep as he doesnt want a preseason to signal of injury lists for players who need more time to recover following a longer WC campain and a long season previously.

Simple deal is Bayern played it like a preseason friendly, MLS played it like a competitive game hence Pep was not happy considering the Bundesliga starts earliest and also he doesnt want key players tacking any knocks with the season so close.

I saw the game. Not the MLS all stars fault Bayern didn't show up ready to play. No reason for Pep to be totally classless after the match either.

Ha! That sounds like something my friends and I would say when we beat each other at FIFA. :lol

Di Maria would be a great marquee signing. And he's pretty versatile.

Yeah, I've also read that he's even gone as far as to say United have made a bid for him. Whether that's completely accurate or not, who knows. But it seems if there is a deal that is closest to being done, it's that one. It's been said that Vermaelen himself would rather go to United than Barca, as well.

Well that's kind of promising news, and the part about concerns over his knee is logical. The last thing you'd want is a huge signing to miss most of the season because of an injury. If the transfer does go through, brilliant, but if it doesn't due to his knee then I would not be disappointed as there is a valid reason.

Di Maria has been pushed down the pecking order by Real's latest signings so is probably looking for regular football. It'd be a decent move if United went for him.

It now looks like Barcelona might have won the race for Vermaelen as Sky Sports website are reporting they've agreed a fee of £15 million....if true it's no loss to United.

If the club can determine that Vidal's knee isn't going to crumble 3 games into the season then they should get it done and still go for Strootman in January. They could then sell Carrick ( when fit ), Anderson and Cleverley.

Daley Blind has apparently been training by himself since returning to Ajax and one of their coaches thinks he's probably leaving.

United would seem a likely destination especially when you consider he can play at wing back or defensive midfield and the obvious connection with van Gaal.

Di Maria has been pushed down the pecking order by Real's latest signings so is probably looking for regular football. It'd be a decent move if United went for him.

It now looks like Barcelona might have won the race for Vermaelen as Sky Sports website are reporting they've agreed a fee of £15 million....if true it's no loss to United.

If the club can determine that Vidal's knee isn't going to crumble 3 games into the season then they should get it done and still go for Strootman in January. They could then sell Carrick ( when fit ), Anderson and Cleverley.

Daley Blind has apparently been training by himself since returning to Ajax and one of their coaches thinks he's probably leaving.

United would seem a likely destination especially when you consider he can play at wing back or defensive midfield and the obvious connection with van Gaal.

Yeah, looks like he's going to Barca now. Oh well.

I read that if United don't land Vidal, they'll go for Alex Song. Probably another BS rumour, and I hope it's not the case.

If United end up signing Cuadrado and go for Blind as well, Blind will probably play in midfield. Probably better, though. Cuadrado is faster and can provide service to the front-men.

Yeah, looks like he's going to Barca now. Oh well.

I read that if United don't land Vidal, they'll go for Alex Song. Probably another BS rumour, and I hope it's not the case.

If United end up signing Cuadrado and go for Blind as well, Blind will probably play in midfield. Probably better, though. Cuadrado is faster and can provide service to the front-men.

Wenger apparently wanted Smalling in a swap which United turned down.

There's just under a month left in the transfer window so hopefully some of these stories will pan out in United's favor, even a couple more new signings would provide a further boost going into the new season.

Unlike last year United have a relatively easy start as they play,

Swansea (h)
Sunderland (a)
Burnley (a)
QPR (h)
Leicester (a)
West Ham (h)

The new manager has already raised morale with his positive approach and confidence should be high after the trip to the States so a good start is definitely achievable.

Back