English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sad news about bentan ,but at least it will distract from arsenal stuffing us 3 nill lol
thanks for the memories or should i say mammaries lol

Just+a+quick+peek_c89b2b_4292420.gif

rodgers1.jpg

Bj_vdN8CAAACiLL.jpg

mrkbsxd.jpg

Here are the 17 most cringe-worthy Rodgers quotes since he's become Liverpool boss.

"My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study and that's been my biggest influence."

Okay, if that doesn't sound like a line written by Ricky Gervais for David Brent then I don't know what does.

"I always say a squad is like a good meal. I'm not a great cook, but a good meal takes a wee bit of time. But also, to offer a good meal, you need good ingredients."

There could be a little bit of sense in that if it wasn't offered up to a room full of sports journalists who were all left trying to hide their s******ing.

"I've always worked along with the statistic that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning the game."

Bluff if ever bluff was spoken. There is absolutely no truth to the 'fact' that you will win 79% of your games if you have more ball possession.

"When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them."

Once again, Rodgers is talking nonsense. Take the West Brom game for example at the weekend. Liverpool had 74% of the ball, yet came away with the same amount of points as the Baggies. This season alone, that is the 11th Premier League game that Liverpool had most possession in but failed to win.

"Southampton don’t have to sell, they have a choice. Maybe their objectives have changed. They were looking to be a Champions League club, I believe."

Ouch, Rodgers flung this in the direction of Southampton after he was accused of buying too many of their players last summer. He hinted the Saints lacked ambition by selling them, yet they have matched Liverpool stride for stride all season and look likely to secure the same goal this year - Europa League qualification.

"If you spend more than £100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league."

Another quip that's come back to haunt Rodgers. He said this about Spurs during the 2013-14 season after they sold Gareth Bale and spent over £100m reinforcing the squad. They failed to compete for the title. One year later, Rodgers sells Luis Suarez, spends over £100m reinforcing the squad, and - oh no - they suffer the exact same fate as Spurs.

"I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless."

Yep, cringeworthy. 'Relentless' and 'no stone unturned', why didn't he finish it off with '...and I will give it my all'?

"I use a quote with the players,'Per aspera ad astra', which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’."

That's probably why your players haven't been carrying out your orders Brendan. They are thinking 'WTF!'

“The best players want to play in the best competition. Any club will suffer the same when they’re not in there. It will hurt you, and United will know that.”

Rodgers had a pop at Manchester United last May after the Red Devils failed to qualify for the Champions League. He said they wouldn't be able to buy the best players. Unfortunately Radamel Falcao, Angel Di Maria, Ander Herrera and Daley Blind didn't agree with him, while Rodgers' Champions League qualifiers could only manage to snap up Southampton's ‘assets’.

"I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes."

Total cringe; moreso because it came straight out of Alex Ferguson's autobiography. Not original, not cool.

"I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings."

Surely he even cringed when he muttered this one in 2013.

"I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope."

Okay - Ricky Gervais certainly had something to do with this.

"It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes."

Sigh!

"We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper."

Sigh. It's not even funny anymore!

"I don't think there is anyone better, that is the reality of how I see it."

Rodgers doesn't even think Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho could do a better job than him at Anfield. Didn't David Brent feel the exact same way about his Office manager position?

"Three months ago I was a tactical genius."

Fair enough, Rodgers had his tongue in his cheek and was pointing out what journalists and pundits were saying about him three months ago. Except they weren't. The nearest match Rodgers had been involved in three months to the day he uttered the above sentence was when Liverpool drew 0-0 with Championship side Bolton and put on a totally lacklustre display.

"When we lose I don't get too disappointed in the same way that when we win I don't get too carried away."

Nobody get's more carried away when Liverpool win. After their 1-0 victory over Swansea just nine weeks ago, Rodgers proclaimed: "We can finish second now." Ooops!
Source: 17 quotes from Brendan Rodgers that will make you cringe - Independent.ie

No complaints with the Arsenal result, they blew United away in the first 20 minutes and it was always going to be an uphill struggle from there especially with United having roughly 9 men on the pitch at any one time....the likes of Rooney & The Invisible Man (Carrick) don't count and Memphis Depay only gets some slack due to his age and relative inexperience in the Premier League.

It also didn't help that Darmian had his worst game in a United shirt and Schweinsteiger kept going too far forward which left gaps in midfield that Arsenal's quick passing exposed.

That being said United did better in the second half as they had much more possession and were it not for Cech might have got something as they had a few chances but it wasn't to be. No big deal really, they're still in a decent position and there's a long way to go yet.

I like LVG, he's steadied the ship and built the squad's confidence back up after Moyes destroyed it and cleared out a lot of the crap that should have gone before Fergie retired.

My biggest issue with him so far isn't the style of football, it's his refusal to drop Rooney and replace him as captain.

He's been declining for a few years now but has been virtually useless for the last couple of years, he last scored 20 or more in 2011-12 and no longer scores against decent sides, gives the ball away constantly because his passing has gone to **** and his pace is non-existent. His on field leadership qualities consist of the ability to hurl abuse at officials when decisions don't go his way and nothing else.

Schweinsteiger has been at the club about 3 months and noticeably does more on field organising of the other players than Rooney ever does and Smalling has also become a decent leader at the back during his transformation from waste of space to solid performer. I'd take either of them or De Gea as captain over Rooney, even the mascot Fred the Red would be a better motivator.

Rodgers was an embarassment for Liverpool, but United have an even bigger embarassment in Rooney.

The hardcore fans will say he should be supported no matter what because of what he's done in the past. I'm only intrested in what a player can offer now and think that Rooney has become a millstone around United's neck.

Juan Mata has several goals and assists this season despite being played out of position on the right. If Rooney was dropped and Mata was played in his best role in the centre behind the striker Anthony Martial would get a lot more scoring opportunities than he's getting at the moment. Martial has already shown he can finish and is up to the physicality of the Premier League so he deserves a team that's set up to provide him more chances to do some damage to the opposition.

I'd also like to see Ander Herrera used more as playing with two defensive midfielders, whichever combination of Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Carrick is picked is too negative, particularly if Carrick is there as he's one of the only players in the current squad that contributes less than Rooney.

Four of five teams could win the League this season. All the top teams are having bad days more often now. I can still see City winning it but it just depends on Arsenal's mentality and them being able to go all the way.

good to see you back corsair
heres arsen after last nights result lol

[video]blob:https%3A//vine.co/ad656c67-ae23-43c1-9598-eac42602a320[/video]

blob:https%3A//vine.co/ad656c67-ae23-43c1-9598-eac42602a320

good to see you back corsair
heres arsen after last nights result lol

[video]blob:https%3A//vine.co/ad656c67-ae23-43c1-9598-eac42602a320[/video]

blob:https%3A//vine.co/ad656c67-ae23-43c1-9598-eac42602a320

Thanks!

Jurgen Klopp came out with this in his first press conference,

"I'm making no promises....but if I'm here in 4 years I'll have won the league once"

Clearly he's hoping the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal all get sucked into a void for the next few years.

Wayne Rooney made a suprise appearance at a WWE event in Manchester last night, he apparently exchanged some banter with Wade Barrett before slapping him....that's more effort than he's put in on a football pitch in years.

Vince McMahon should start negotiating for Rooney to get put through a table on PPV, the buy rate from people in England would be insane :lol

In other news David Moyes has been sacked after a year at Real Sociedad.

Elements of the United support and the media have tried to paint him as the honest guy who was screwed over by the United board but in reality it turns out he's just a bit crap :lol

The Premier League is wide open at this point in time, even United are in the running despite LVG's refusal to drop Rooney and the dire brand of football he insists on.

Chelsea's meltdown has been shocking but I think Jose will bounce back either at Chelsea or elsewhere, he's too good a manager not to.

If he does get sacked I'd still have him as United boss when LVG's contract is up at the end of next season.

A guy with his record is a much safer option than giving Giggs the job, which is likely to be a bigger brainfart than hiring Moyes was.

wow its been a while since i came here ,but thought this was worth the trek back here to post this lol

only hope someone else gets to see it ,and i can find my way out of here lol

wow its been a while since i came here ,but thought this was worth the trek back here to post this lol

only hope someone else gets to see it ,and i can find my way out of here lol

Antics like that means LVG remains somewhat entertaining as a human being, even though his style of football is largely useless in the hustle & bustle of the English game.

I don't get upset at the results any more, it's so dull and predictable I refuse to waste energy getting worked up about it and I've been enjoying watching Leicester & Spurs as they get closer and closer to a league title that nobody saw coming.

A Leicester win would be more of a fairytale, but Spurs fans also deserve the chance to raise a middle finger in the direction of Arsenal fans after having to put up with years of smugness.

Back