Employers ask job seekers for their Facebook passwords

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. My employer has no right to know my personal religious, political or any views I don't want them to know used I choose to share it.

If you are that ashamed of it then why put it on the Internet?

He is NOT ashamed of it.Your missing the point!

Nobody has any right to anyone's Facebook account password or to fire anyone because personal beliefs or opinion.

When they say next..your Paper's please! do you plan on Submitting like a good little slave?

Are you that clueless? I'm ashamed of nothing. It's about them DEMANDING my info. They have NO right to to any personal info. That's like asking an employee if he's straight or gay. If he doesn't wish to share it what right do you have to demand the info? You don't.

He is NOT ashamed of it.Your missing the point!

Nobody has any right to anyone's Facebook account password or to fire anyone because personal beliefs or opinion.

When they say next..your Paper's please! do you plan on Submitting like a good little slave?

Don't worry, he will line up with a big smile for his chip.

It's illegal in Canada for any employers to ask about personal info such as FB. The job seeker should file a complaint against them.

Are you that clueless? I'm ashamed of nothing. It's about them DEMANDING my info. They have NO right to to any personal info. That's like asking an employee if he's straight or gay. If he doesn't wish to share it what right do you have to demand the info? You don't.

I think you are missing the point. I am all for non-discrimination in the workplace, and freedom of speech but if you think your personal information is safe on Facebook then you are naive. It is stated and was even posted earlier, that in their terms of use anything posted on there is their's. Absent any specific laws Facebook could start selling your information tomorrow to potential employers, and they would be in the right to do it.

So I ask if you don't want people to know about it, or would be afraid of them finding out about it, why post this information on the Internet?

I think you are missing the point. I am all for non-discrimination in the workplace, and freedom of speech but if you think your personal information is safe on Facebook then you are naive. It is stated and was even posted earlier, that in their terms of use anything posted on there is their's. Absent any specific laws Facebook could start selling your information tomorrow to potential employers, and they would be in the right to do it.

So I ask if you don't want people to know about it, or would be afraid of them finding out about it, why post this information on the Internet?

You control what is seen on facebook. There's no need for them to have your login information. Should they also get your online banking username and password to check your financials? Should they have your pin number to check all previous purchases?

Glad you want to live in a distopian world. Heaven forbid that information is made public. Scary slope this is....

EDIT: Just because you may have nothing to hide does not give the right for your future employer or government to look into your private life.

i would give it to them my facebook page is in the name of a deceased gangster/film producer and i have around 50 thai friends who i have no clue who any of them are

No, YOU are missing the point. Whatever Facebook does with any info I CHOOSE to give them is up to them. However, "Smith Company" has NO right to demand my user name and password to obtain my info if I am CHOOSING to keep it "private" on my page. I cannot believe this point is totally beyond you.

If a company can demand this info how about they just set up a camera in your house? After all the bank owns it, not you.

This is the point.
PAPERS!
image.jpg.jpg

If you would have an issue with employers looking at your Facebook page, maybe you should re-think what you are posting on there.

I'm afraid everyone else is right and you are wrong. You are indeed missing the point. You talk about about what facebook can do with a facebook member's personal information as per the agreement that member willingly signed up to in the first place, but that is a world away from a prospective employer demanding the password to a personal account. "Maybe you should rethink what you post on there"... good grief, maybe you should think about what you post on here.

I'm currently in graduate school for Human Resources and usually a common debate that we have in my classes is the use of Facebook to screen candidates profiles...but asking for passwords? That's just crossing the line. Employers nowadays usually screen Facebook profiles from a fake account and if the candidate's page is private with an appropriate picture, then the candidate most likely looks good to them. But if it is littered with drug and alcohol photos from their college years that is visible to anyone, then employers will get turned off and most likely not consider the candidate any further. Asking for passwords is just a breach of privacy and should be banned immediately.

I'm afraid everyone else is right and you are wrong. You are indeed missing the point. You talk about about what facebook can do with a facebook member's personal information as per the agreement that member willingly signed up to in the first place, but that is a world away from a prospective employer demanding the password to a personal account. "Maybe you should rethink what you post on there"... good grief, maybe you should think about what you post on here.

No need to there are tons of people online that don't, clearly by what they have posted on their Facebook page.

Back