Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one going to help me out here LOL or has this just become the official b@tch about Bethesda thread?

It doesn't matter if it's 1,000 hrs, if the game doesn't work properly then it's still a fail. I bought Skyrim on day one for the PS3 and had problems with on day one. I don't care how big the game is - if Bethesda can't handle things at that level, then they should have made Skyrim a 20 hrs game.

And I'm not saying that I deserve a DLC for free, but if Bethesda is going to offer it, they should have told us who would be getting it in the first place. All PS3 users who bought Skyrim have been looking forward to this DLC, because Bethesda told us it was going to happen - for all systems. Hell, I'm sure if people knew the DLC wasn't going to be there for PS3, then maybe they would have bought the game for Xbox or PC.

Realistically, Bethesda had to have known there was an issue with the PS3 DLC for some time and are only now choosing to tell us. That to me is greedy.

Issues in the main game are a different issue to what I was talking about.
Though I didn't experience a single one myself on Xbox I know others did and I know there were issues present (I did unplug from Live for a while to avoid the game breaking 'patch' and that was completely unacceptable)

They obviously thought they would be able to provide the DLC.
By not being able to get around the PS3 issues they are having, they are costing themselves a lot of money by not being able to sell it.

At which point they've decided its simply unworkable I don't know.

Excellent post. As I mentioned before, the DLC was promised to PS3 owners on the back of the box, where it clearly states the game supports DLC. Not only is it specified here, but DLC was promised for the PS3 at various convention announcements and official websites by Bethesda staff.

What bothers me is that the late announcement that no DLC was coming to the playstation was not the fault of Bethesda the developer. I'm sure they did all they could given the strict deadline they were given-- it was the fault of Bethesda the publishing staff, and Bethesda higher-ups.

I agree that the length of the game is most certainly not a barometer for quality. How much of the time spent playing the game is just getting from point A to point B? Not once was I wowed by a vista in Skyrim, even after setting everything to max, downloading the improved texture package (suprised I wasn't charged for that one), and replacing game files and commands with superior ones in the name of graphics. In short I wasn't having fun in between quests because the gameworld is so barren. How much of the "stuff" in between point A and point B is copy and pasted trees and rocks? I'd hardly consider getting from point A to B gameplay. It's just a grind--a way to artificially stretch the time spent in game, and fast-travelling negates the point of having a huge open world.

Journeying around the world is a huge part of the Elder Scrolls games. If you find it a pointless grind then it sounds like it's not a game for you.
Bioware also make awesome games that cut out aimless wandering.

Though I didn't experience a single one myself on Xbox I know others did and I know there were issues present (I did unplug from Live for a while to avoid the game breaking 'patch' and that was completely unacceptable)

By not being able to get around the PS3 issues they are having, they are costing themselves a lot of money by not being able to sell it.

See, that's one of my points - I don't think the issue in the main game is a different one than in the DLC. Sure, we'll never know what exactly was/is causing the issue with the PS3 (we certainly didn't have any solid info on the subject when Bethesda was throwing patch after patch at the problem) and we probably never will, but I'm thinking they are still having the same issue. It would be too coincidental to have a PS3 issue in the main game and then have an entirely different issue with PS3 in the DLC. So, I have to put on my "conspiracy theory hat" and assume that Bethesda knew about this issue alot sooner.

I hope they can bring back my faith in them, as I really like Oblivion (still play to this day) and Fallout. Maybe in a few years an Elder Scrolls VI will put them back on my radar.

At which point they've decided its simply unworkable I don't know.

Journeying around the world is a huge part of the Elder Scrolls games. If you find it a pointless grind then it sounds like it's not a game for you.
Bioware also make awesome games that cut out aimless wandering.

That's the thing though... I loved Morrowind and Oblivion, which had just as much traveling. I loved them because they looked great for the time. They fully took advantage of the gaming rigs back in the day, but were easily scalable for people who didn't care for the extra effects. I'm not saying graphics are the be all end all of good games, but it is important for a game like this one, because a realistic looking environment helps immersion.

Specifically, what I found wrong with Skyrim is the fact that animations had not improved over Oblivion (a game that's 6 years old). There have been quite a few advancements in animation since 2006. Watching my Dragonborn walk up a steep 50 degree grade the same way he walks on level ground takes me out of the experience. Fighting hasn't really been improved, aside from the terrible weapon animations now being on both sides of the screen to simulate dual wielding. In addition to zero progress in the area of animation, almost every texture in the game is a step backwards from Oblivion.
I'm just tired of paying 60 bucks for games that look like they should have come out 7 years ago. Why should I be stuck with these graphics, when I know that in 2007, Crysis showed me what an open world could look like. The fact that graphics have stayed stagnant for multiplatform games is not just a problem with Bethesda. It's a compromise that many developers have had to live with given that console hardware doesn't change with the times. I'm just sad to see that someone who once took pride in developing for the PC is no longer interested in innovating.

My apologies for the rant, and to anyone who truly enjoys Skyrim. It's not my intention to say that you shouldn't be enjoying the experience. I'm really happy for those who are enjoying it. I guess I just wish more effort had been put into the PC port.

See, that's one of my points - I don't think the issue in the main game is a different one than in the DLC. Sure, we'll never know what exactly was/is causing the issue with the PS3 (we certainly didn't have any solid info on the subject when Bethesda was throwing patch after patch at the problem) and we probably never will, but I'm thinking they are still having the same issue. It would be too coincidental to have a PS3 issue in the main game and then have an entirely different issue with PS3 in the DLC. So, I have to put on my "conspiracy theory hat" and assume that Bethesda knew about this issue alot sooner.

I hope they can bring back my faith in them, as I really like Oblivion (still play to this day) and Fallout. Maybe in a few years an Elder Scrolls VI will put them back on my radar.

I don't think it necessarily will be the same issues though.
Dawnguard is a 'world wide' add on in that it essentailly 'smears' (my term though I like it :) ) a large amount of new content right across the map including altering existing code (like new kill cams and mounted combat) which all has to co-exist with existing content.

Like their first Xbox patch which solved a few very minor existing problems and then caused game breaking crashes and bizarre additions like dragons flying upside down and backwards lol :D

You could be right though, I don't know....

That's the thing though... I loved Morrowind and Oblivion, which had just as much traveling. I loved them because they looked great for the time. They fully took advantage of the gaming rigs back in the day, but were easily scalable for people who didn't care for the extra effects. I'm not saying graphics are the be all end all of good games, but it is important for a game like this one, because a realistic looking environment helps immersion.

Specifically, what I found wrong with Skyrim is the fact that animations had not improved over Oblivion (a game that's 6 years old). There have been quite a few advancements in animation since 2006. Watching my Dragonborn walk up a steep 50 degree grade the same way he walks on level ground takes me out of the experience. Fighting hasn't really been improved, aside from the terrible weapon animations now being on both sides of the screen to simulate dual wielding. In addition to zero progress in the area of animation, almost every texture in the game is a step backwards from Oblivion.
I'm just tired of paying 60 bucks for games that look like they should have come out 7 years ago. Why should I be stuck with these graphics, when I know that in 2007, Crysis showed me what an open world could look like. The fact that graphics have stayed stagnant for multiplatform games is not just a problem with Bethesda. It's a compromise that many developers have had to live with given that console hardware doesn't change with the times. I'm just sad to see that someone who once took pride in developing for the PC is no longer interested in innovating.

My apologies for the rant, and to anyone who truly enjoys Skyrim. It's not my intention to say that you shouldn't be enjoying the experience. I'm really happy for those who are enjoying it. I guess I just wish more effort had been put into the PC port.

I don't really disagree with what you're saying actually. The shine has worn off Elder Scrolls for me now as well though for me it wasn't so much the graphics or animation but the generic storytelliing.

I'm not complaining, I got 150 hours over 2 characters and thats definitely an insane play time.

But I thought the Obsidian storytelling of Fallout: New Vegas dramatically expanded on storytelling possiblities compared to the Bethesda scripted games and Skyrim felt like a big step down in that regard.

.....but Fallout NV was definitely also the most buggy game on that engine ever released so take the good with the bad I guess :D :D

Last edited:
Its weird, i enjoyed the game quite a bit, but not into vampires, so have passed on Dawnguard, and not interested in building a house in game, so passed on the current dlc - hope they do some interesting dlc soon

This guy did a series of videos showing all the different rooms in Hearthfire fully furnished. Good info as once you build it you're stuck with it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PARl60dauTA&sns=em[/ame]

Moonpaths to Elsweyr

By Phill Cameron | Sep 21, 2012
Airships, dinosaurs, and a whole new environment to explore.

Since I started looking at mods for Skyrim, one has been sitting on my hard drive, brooding in the corner, its hulking mass shifting from side to side every month or so, just to remind me that it was still there. It's called Moonpath to Elsweyr, and it's one of the largest slices of fan-made content you can add to Bethesda's open-world RPG. Recently, I was finally able to set aside the time required to "tread the moonpaths" and I discovered a new narrative, a fresh new world to explore, and one of the finest Skyrim mods available.

Two Khajiit's Walk Into a Bar...

Elsweyr is the Khajiit homeland, a jungle paradise that's being slowly encroached on by the Thalmor wizards, and after spending so long in the cold of Skyrim, it's a welcome change of scenery. To get there, I first slipped into the rear barn of the Dead Man's Drink in Falkreath, where I found a pair of Khajiit travelers planning to return to their homelands.

Welcome to Elsweyr. Check out your new digs.

The vignettes made it feel like a genuine journey out of the frozen wastes of Skyrim. Being an adventurer with a penchant for exploration, I asked if they might be open to making their duo a trio, and before long we were on the road. With a lovely touch, creator muppetmuppet set up a number of little traveling vignettes, like when our caravan broke down and was attacked by bandits, or when we needed to find another way across a river whose bridge was out. The vignettes made it feel like a genuine journey out of the frozen wastes of Skyrim.

Upon reaching Elsweyr I was immediately presented with my own sprawling encampment, complete with alchemy, blacksmithing, enchanting and tanning stations, and my own comfy bed. There were even sentient tigers patrolling the lands, making sure no opportunistic thief snuck in to nab my stuff. On its own, the journey and encampment would make Moonpath to Elsweyr a terrific add-on; a nice little bit of context for your latest home, with its own quick teleport back to Skyrim. But that's just the beginning of what this mod has to offer.

Join the Rebel Alliance

Airships, dinosaurs, giant ape slaves, gorgeous vistas filled with palm trees and strange statues, and a quest line that puts players in the middle of the war between Khajit rebels and their Thalmor oppressors. Told you Moonpath to Elsweyr was big. It's kind of incredible, really, what's been achieved here, and easily enough to rival even the most accomplished DLC on Bethesda's part.

Your Elsweyr journey is filled with obstacles... including soldiers packing Dirty Harry crossbows.

Moonpath to Elsweyr is what everyone always hopes modding can be. It's all fully voiced, too, and even though it's clear these aren't professionals doing the voice acting, it feels entirely authentic, with the trademark Khajiit growl slipped into the cadence. By the time I got my own airship transport, complete with grizzled Khajiit pirate captain, I was fully invested in a story of guerrilla warfare and drug smuggling. The Thalmor want the moonstones, you see, and that's all that's keeping the Khajiit from being entirely enslaved by the bastard dark elves.

Moonpath to Elsweyr is what everyone always hopes modding can be: an accomplished addition to the game that doesn't break the tone, or show all the cracks in the scenery. Some of the areas are a little linear or too conveniently placed, but when it all looks so gorgeous, especially so vibrant when compared to Skyrim, I can hardly complain. It's a holiday away from the holiday that is Skyrim, a change of pace and environment that makes returning to the likes of Winterhold and Solitude something to look forward to, rather than just the old familiar.

wow Moonpath to Elsweyr looks amazing.

My long held Elder Scrolls dream of Bethesda doing Skyrim has been fufilled.

Next on my list is Elsweyr ...too bad I play on Xbox and can't see this unofficial taste :D

Next DLC trailer should hit mon.
By the hints given it should be Shiverving Isles big.
Probably called Dragonborn and takes place on Solstheim.
Sounds like Morrowind fans will be happy.

At this point I have too much mods applied to my game that I haven't even gotten dawnguard...I'd have to update a bunch of those mods and probably encounter a bounch of fatal errors in the process...

But new content looks interesting...hmm...

Back