eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a quick shot of an original helmet so you can see how they were weathered.
Whenever I looked at original helmets in the past, I never really paid much attention to their weathering. But once you start looking you sort of notice it.

original_scout.png

Last edited:
:goodpost::exactly:

The thing is that most of the fans put a piece of their soul in each prop replica or helmet they make. They paint the props and replicas themselves and not hiring some underpaid, uninterested, and careless Chinese worker who doesn't even know what that thing he is working on really is. Many fans where the ones discovering stuff not even ILM knew or cared about.

Look above at the thread with the Elm-Studios Palpatine 1:1 bust and compare it with the licensed Sideshow grinning version. Look at the RS Prop Masters Stormtrooper helmet, Gino, CFO ROTJ etc. and compare them to whichever you want licensed, and you'll see their fantastic quality. Try comparing my own accurate converted Sterling blaster with the licensed idealized and way too bare MR Stormtrooper blaster version...

Go on and compare the licensed Rubies and Museum Replicas crappy Stormie armors with some of the finest fan made ones. And this is only when talking about props and helmets just look at the custom sculpted and painted statues from SW, Marvel, DC etc.

Many times the fans also use original molds. Try to read more and understand the bigger world of unlicensed props and you will find out a lot of great things. Go to RPF for example and search for work of some of these unlicensed artists and you will then understand their hard work. So try do not disrespect fan made stuff unless you learned a lot about that, you might have a very nice surprise about their products high quality.

I'm still a member f the RF, but a few problems there drove me away. I love the fan community, and I love props. Of course, I have little skill in making them, but I love to see what people can do.

There are, as far as I can tell, two types of people in the fan prop community. There are the people and groups like the Dented Helmet and the R2 builders. They'll help you every step of the way. You don't have to buy a single thing from them, they'll show you how to make a perfectly accurate Boba Fett o R2D2. They have tutorials, and will show you how to paint, make your own items and so forth. They are a true credit to the community. The 501'st is a lot like this as well. You might not be able to mold, and vac form your own stormtrooper, but they'll be more than happy to help you put together an awesome costume, and show you how to fit and trim your own armor (Providing beer helps for the armor parties!)

Then there are those who only want to show what they can do. Sure, they make great stuff. They've got skills and talent. But when you ask them for hep it's always 'no'. You show them what you've done, and they say 'You did it wrong', but have no interest in helping you fix it. That drove me from the RPF. I have a Vader costume. It's great, but not perfect. It also probably never will be, as sacrifices need to be made in order for it to be comfortable to wear and walk around in. But you know what? The public loves it. To them, I *am* Darth Vader. Thy don't care that the gloves aren't accurate, or that he cod is a little off. The Vader fan community is HELL. They don't want to expand or share knowledge. They want to hoard it. Some within this community think that I, and others in the 501'st bring down the the prop community. Demean it even.

It's sad. I know it's not everyone. But I am well aware of who is like this, and that they aren't in it for the community, but only for themselves. Most are good people, and helpful, but sadly, not all.

Succinctly and well put Shally. I've been toying with the idea of putting together a Han for myself since CV. And I've had similar, although I'm sure not as many, encounters. Both the helpful type and the hoarder of knowledge type. I'm nowhere near as entrenched as you, obviously. But I have been gathering information, and have just a few pieces toward an eventual Han. The Rebel Legion is of course a great resource and community for my particular choice.

Thanks for being so thoughtful in your response. :D

Favorite item so far is this I got right here on SSF:

(I know its heavy, but I wouldn't even attempt to build my own from the parts so went with the MR heavy style. Figure, if I ever do finally don a costume, having the heft of this will just feel more authentic.)

picture.php

You like that? The most incredible part is that when it arrived, there were two plaques included. One was generic, with no number, and the other had the number 1980 on it. So I contacted the seller to inquire why there were two, and while I believed the 1980 represented the year of the film, ESB, it turned out that that was actually the edition number of this particular one. Simply amazing. I love it.

I'm still a member f the RF, but a few problems there drove me away. I love the fan community, and I love props. Of course, I have little skill in making them, but I love to see what people can do.

There are, as far as I can tell, two types of people in the fan prop community. There are the people and groups like the Dented Helmet and the R2 builders. They'll help you every step of the way. You don't have to buy a single thing from them, they'll show you how to make a perfectly accurate Boba Fett o R2D2. They have tutorials, and will show you how to paint, make your own items and so forth. They are a true credit to the community. The 501'st is a lot like this as well. You might not be able to mold, and vac form your own stormtrooper, but they'll be more than happy to help you put together an awesome costume, and show you how to fit and trim your own armor (Providing beer helps for the armor parties!)

Then there are those who only want to show what they can do. Sure, they make great stuff. They've got skills and talent. But when you ask them for hep it's always 'no'. You show them what you've done, and they say 'You did it wrong', but have no interest in helping you fix it. That drove me from the RPF. I have a Vader costume. It's great, but not perfect. It also probably never will be, as sacrifices need to be made in order for it to be comfortable to wear and walk around in. But you know what? The public loves it. To them, I *am* Darth Vader. Thy don't care that the gloves aren't accurate, or that he cod is a little off. The Vader fan community is HELL. They don't want to expand or share knowledge. They want to hoard it. Some within this community think that I, and others in the 501'st bring down the the prop community. Demean it even.

It's sad. I know it's not everyone. But I am well aware of who is like this, and that they aren't in it for the community, but only for themselves. Most are good people, and helpful, but sadly, not all.

There will always be these 2 types of persons and not only on RPF, but also on other boards, and unfortunately in the real life as well. I know how Vader community is, but personally I didn't deal with them and don't intend to - Vader himself is not my direct focus. I also know of the 501st quite well, since for example with them I recently managed to upgrade my real deact. Sterling E-11 blaster, making it uber accurate, and still working on minute details, because of newly found info regarding some greeblies. The other 501st sections like Bikerscouts, Jolly Roger Squadron, Armored Cavalry are also great. There are great people on RPF too, I got many props and helmets from my collection there, including the above mentioned E-11 conversion blaster.

My focus are Imperials and Troopers and never had major problems in my quests. Of course I encountered my fair share of scalpers, hoarders of information, and some people who didn't even bother replying to a PM if kindly asked for simple information. But on the other hand there were so many cool guys that were kind and helpful, that in the end the balance was on their side waaaay more than with the non-helpers. Maybe it is because sometimes I'm over optimistic too, but maybe it is not just that.

Besides all that, if YOU are happy with your costume, you shouldn't care whatever people say against it. Let them think whatever they want, you are important because you do this for the community, and for the children watching you as Vader, and not for some people who are too sour to appreciate sharing.

Besides all that, if YOU are happy with your costume, you shouldn't care whatever people say against it. Let them think whatever they want, you are important because you do this for the community, and for the children watching you as Vader, and not for some people who are too sour to appreciate sharing.

Unless you have an FX bucket. In that case please jump off a cliff. :monkey3

Thanks jkno! I love it, and hope to get to carry it one day in costume...

Sorry for the derail, back to the topic at hand. :D

Unless you have an FX bucket. In that case please jump off a cliff. :monkey3

The FISD are trying to retire the old and obsolete FX but not sure if they will have any success too soon.

Thanks jkno! I love it, and hope to get to carry it one day in costume...

Sorry for the derail, back to the topic at hand. :D

For trooping I would kindly recommend something lighter (resin/plastic blaster - those can be made accurate too), not so expensive (if you scratch this you'll be VERY SORRY ;)) and maybe with a red/orange tip (not to have problems with police, depending where are you trooping).

I'm not sure I will be picking this one up. I like it but just can't justify picking this one up with so much on order right now.

depending on price.... this might have to be my first efx bucket

are you liking this Jkno?

Personally I'm quite disappointed of the use of fiberglass and full interior padding. I know this is a way easier method for a licensed company to mass produce, but I also feel the Legend name lost its aura. eFx could have gone the Kropserkel way: made of ABS, but a simpler method than the uber accurate Lonewolf Scout helmet, made from vac formed ABS halves.

I might get the eFX clean one if price is right though - looks way more impressive than the weathered one, plus I'm not quite trusty regarding the quality of eFX final weathering.

Back