eFX reveals stormtrooper hero legend edition helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Gino,

It looks like the colored (gray etc) detail on the helmet is hand painted on. I presume the originals were like that? I know next to nothing about the trooper helmet, and would enjoy some commentary on how they did the detailing on these.

Thanks man! Looks great.

i guess Fett will be next. How come there's never any love for Boushh?????

Cause everyone was let down to find a cool character was just Leia disguised as a cool character, looking to lay some lips on Han.

Hey Gino,

It looks like the colored (gray etc) detail on the helmet is hand painted on. I presume the originals were like that? I know next to nothing about the trooper helmet, and would enjoy some commentary on how they did the detailing on these.

Thanks man! Looks great.

Sure thing.
Yes, all the detail areas on the original screen used helmets were hand painted on (both hero and background/stunt).
They didn't use decals on any screen used original helmets until ESB.

Sure thing.
Yes, all the detail areas on the original screen used helmets were hand painted on (both hero and background/stunt).
They didn't use decals on any screen used original helmets until ESB.

Interesting. Thank you!

The LE was made of fiberglass and still very much an idealized representation of the Stormtrooper helmet. It was created by a laser scanning technology and not cast directly from a screen used helmet.

The Legend Edition helmet is meant to be a true prop replica very faithful to the actual film prop and is as close as you can possibly get to owning an original helmet.
It was made directly from a screen matched original ANH hero helmet.
Molds were made directly from the inside to be vac-formed over in production.
These will be true copies of the film prop.
This is the first and only time an actual screen used hero stormtrooper helmet has been molded to produce replicas.

- It is made of ABS vac formed plastic just like the originals.
- The painted detail areas are incredibly accurate not only in their shapes but also in their color as we had special paint mixed to match the colors on the original helmet.
- The mic tips are molded directly from original tips.
- The rubber trims will be custom extruded to match the originals.

Just like the Legend/Limited Edition Vader helmet, this is a must have piece for prop replica enthusiasts as it simply just cannot get any better than this.

Thanks for the info, Gino. I'm leaning towards a pass already owning the LE

I know very, very little of the mask making process, but if molds were made of the inside of an original helmet, how is the exterior of the mask created?

When vac forming, sheet plastic is heated up to a point where it can be stretched over a form and sucked down over it's shape.
This is how the originals were made.
In order to make an exact duplicate, molds had to be taken from the inside of the original screen used helmet to form over for the replicas.

So the mold runs from the inside of the helmet and then stretches out over the exterior as well?

For those not familiar with the vac forming process, check out this quick video I found on youtube.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0Bm3Uf94M"]‪formech 450‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

For those who already have an eFX Vader on order, it is an absolute must to have this eFX Legend trooper to accompany it.
Check out the shot below of the two helmets as seen together in the exact same scene!
How cool is it that you can reunite them after over 30 years in your own personal collections!

efx_legends.jpg

:thud: :thud: :thud:

Just to be clear, the eFX Vader helmet was made from a mold created off casts that were made out of a mold made by Rick Baker of the original helmet seen in the photo? Is that the lineage?

If I recall correctly, wasn't that Rick Baker mold made specifically for the Grauman's Chinese Theater appearance and foot print ceremony of Vader, 3PO and R2-D2? I know Baker also made the bottoms of 3POs feet (since he had none) for the footprint ceremony but I also seem to recall the helmet story too. My brother worked for Baker for years and I was at Baker's house several times as a kid back then.

Sean

Just to be clear, the eFX Vader helmet was made from a mold created off casts that were made out of a mold made by Rick Baker of the original helmet seen in the photo? Is that the lineage?

If I recall correctly, wasn't that Rick Baker mold made specifically for the Grauman's Chinese Theater appearance and foot print ceremony of Vader, 3PO and R2-D2? I know Baker also made the bottoms of 3POs feet (since he had none) for the footprint ceremony but I also seem to recall the helmet story too. My brother worked for Baker for years and I was at Baker's house several times as a kid back then.

Sean

Interesting!

Sean

Seems like I recall it being said the Baker mold was cast from the screen helmet, at some point during or after shooting (I think after). The question people seem to have with it is how much was done to the screen helmet and/or mold to idealize it (clean up imperfections). I believe it is accepted that the Baker mold is from the original helmet though, which gives its lineage a certain pedigree. Is it the most accurate to the screen used helmet? I don't know. I've read page after page of commentary on this, that there may be another UK set of molds that are more consistent with the screen used helmet. The debate continues over that, and I believe Gino (who did the EFX helmet) is of the camp that the Baker mold is definitive.

I think it will suffice for most people to know, the Baker mold is the real deal. Only the absolute purists amongst us will grasp straws from there. I understand the original helmet was either modified for ESB, or is missing, and that we don't have any known way to compare replicas from the known "of lineage" molds, other than to use screen shots.

That said, you seem to have the most connection to Rick Baker of anyone here. Perhaps this is an excellent opportunity to call old Rick up and ask him about the lineage of his mold. Did he in fact, make changes to reduce the imperfections on the helmets coming from his molds. And, for the love of god, lay to rest if the c-scar was painted on for that "used look" George was going for, or is it a dimensional imperfection in the casting. ____ minds want to know. My guess is, he doesn't remember. I doubt they suspected there'd ever be so much friction over bumps and bruises of a movie helmet.

At the end of the day, it's a replica. So, you probably want it as close as possible to the original. I think Gino and team have gone beyond our expectations on these. The ANH Vader Legend helmet is probably my most desired collectible of all time. Frankly, I feel privileged to have it on preorder.

Gino, my friend, thank you and EFX for bringing these helmets to us. You've made it possible to fulfill this guys childhood wish of having these helmets, and on my birthday no less!!!! :hi5:

Last edited:
Thanks Avenger!
And yes you are correct, the Baker mold was taken directly off the screen used ANH Vader helmet and that mold is what we used to make the eFX offering.
Definitely an exciting time for those who want helmets incredibly close to how they actually appeared on set during production.
It's as close as we can come to owning an original helmet without actually owning an original.

Here is a comparison of the original screen used helmet and our first prototype.
As noted earlier, the plastic used for this prototype is not the final plastic.
As far as the color of the plastic, upon inspection of the original in places that were hidden from light/exposure, we determined that the plastic was originally pure white as opposed to the slightly warm/yellowed white that we are used to seeing in originals as they look today.
The color of the plastic will be matched to the original as it was on the day it was formed vs how it looks now.

efx_compare1_sm.jpg

Back