eFX Darth Vader A NEW HOPE Helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately that level of nitpicking never happens here.

:rotfl

To be honest, I wish I could find the product nitpicking over there. I was looking for the details. It's broken down into name calling now. Not much detail on the helmet, mostly detail on the social aspect of so called "vader experts" and how they interact with each others work.

We'll nitpick stuff here sure. But, these are the guys making this stuff nitpicking each others nitpicks. :slap

some of the guys at RPF know their stuff for sure. But on the other hand there is always a personal interest involved. Unfortunately there is a huge envy in the prop world, especially between the guys who make armors and helmets and their friends. The idea is to walk above these personal interests, and get what is the best for you, despite the stories behind it. And this goes to other thjngs not just this Vader helmet.

i saw that too on RPF.. but most of them have ordered EFX Helmet anyway with all criticism..

One thing is for sure.. if one of those EXPERT call this EFX Vader helmet one of the top 4 best ever with all those bad accurency...

for me at 800$ and 1000$ it's a bargain and probably a lifetime chance!

Same here. For the $799 price, it's well worth it. If I didn't already have the MR RotS Vader Helmet, I could easily justify a purchase.

You should sell the ROTS helmet and upgrade to one of these. Seriously.

I actually really like the RotS Helmet and I got it cheap from MR directly during one of their final sales (I think it was $499). Don't think I could part with it just for the sake of upgrading to another Vader helmet.

I actually really like the RotS Helmet and I got it cheap from MR directly during one of their final sales (I think it was $499). Don't think I could part with it just for the sake of upgrading to another Vader helmet.

It's a very nice collectible piece and replica, to be sure. And it looks really nice on display. For $500 you got a steal. Yeah, hang onto it.

I just personally despise the ROTS Vader helmet and everything it represents (ignorance of the previous films, new "idealized" symmetrical design all done on a computer thus losing a lot of character, and of course... it represents ROTS and the PT itself as an endeavor that was product & commerce over substance). The ANH helmet, on the other hand, is pure history & nostalgia. Not even Lucas and his retroactivism can pee on that, thanks to the efforts of eFX and everyone who worked on this project.

It's a very nice collectible piece and replica, to be sure. And it looks really nice on display. For $500 you got a steal. Yeah, hang onto it.

I just personally despise the ROTS Vader helmet and everything it represents (ignorance of the previous films, new "idealized" symmetrical design all done on a computer thus losing a lot of character, and of course... it represents ROTS and the PT itself as an endeavor that was product & commerce over substance). The ANH helmet, on the other hand, is pure history & nostalgia. Not even Lucas and his retroactivism can pee on that, thanks to the efforts of eFX and everyone who worked on this project.

I hear ya. I have much more nostalgia for the OT than I ever did with the PT. The OT is what I grew up on and they were something that I've loved since I was a kid.

My thing is that I didn't mind the PT. I thought ROTS was the better out of the 3 (and the most watchable). I didn't care for TPM. Thought it was too geared for children and watching Jar Jar suck the life out of that movie was all I could take.

To be honest, guests that come over the house can't tell the difference between the Vader helmets (like we can on this forum). When they see the ROTS Vader Helmet on display, they know what it is and they think it's the same Vader that they remember from the OT. I know there is a difference though...but it's an extra $799 + shipping that I don't have right now.

Last edited:
Oh, no doubt most folks can't tell the difference. And the MR Vader helmet is a very, very nice piece. Don't be to detract that as a valuable part of your collection at all.

I hear ya. I have much more nostalgia for the OT than I ever did with the PT. The OT is what I grew up on and they were something that I've loved since I was a kid.

My thing is that I didn't mind the PT. I thought ROTS was the better out of the 3 (and the most watchable). I didn't care for TPM. Thought it was too geared for children and watching Jar Jar suck the life out of that movie was all I could take.

To be honest, guests that come over the house can't tell the difference between the Vader helmets (like we can on this forum). When they see the ROTS Vader Helmet on display, they know what it is and they think it's the same Vader that they remember from the OT. I know there is a difference though...but it's an extra $799 + shipping that I don't have right now.

Right...when all the promo for the OT on DVD started, nobody could tell that the Vader suit they were seeing was that of the as yet unreleased Episode III...because there was very little "sith" official promo at the time...

Considering Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw in 1977 at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, ANH Vader is my most nostalgic image and is my collecting focus above others. However I do love the symmetry of the ROTS helmet and the way ot looks head on...
Remember, even though it was ultimately computer controlled, it was duplicated by choosing one side over the other and assembled by hand ... I love the look (though it is indeed a different, if more "youthful", face of Vader)

My Favorite is the ESB or Jedi look, but I associate most of my childhood memories with the ANH helmet...

The little scratches and scuffs that these folks are nitpicking, the most important "landmark" scars of the helmet are not obvious in the film and therefore don't matter so much to me -- the c scratch is obvious and must be there -- the two smudges on his right cheek edge are also obvious and the mottling in the mouth grill -- and they are there...so that's fine with me...they don't have to be 100% the same just enough to be mistaken for an actual one at 10 feet away by 99 % of the hardcore fans...as long as it shows clearly in the film and the prop matches it -- that's fine ... this helmet was made by official means it is licensed and it was taken directly from molds taken from Lucasfilm archives...the quality of paints and the generation of the mold are of utmost provenance and so I am happy with these eFx helmets thus far.

I LOVE a well made mass produced item and value it over a one of a kind, because there's something about getting an item like that , that was made to such nigh standards just for the collectors. There's something that feels like love and care was poured into it just for us, the popular niche...that's a lot of work to insure that a product of this magnitude and plurality is made with such a high level of quality and care from the product planning, replication, quality control and testing, finishing, and packaging to the handling of it...it is worth it just for all the work and effort and care -- even if it was made without some of the scars that some people are attached to, but many aren't.

Not one toy or prop I've ever come across was 100% accurate, and that's fine because it is different from the original anyway -- believe me, if you wanted a 100% accurate helmet, there would just be foam lining, unfinished fiberglass and lots of velcro just hanging around...props were made to be seen and many time things weren't cleaned up thoroughly because frankly the cameras couldn't pick most of it up...Did you know that the set on Jeopardy was changed partly because now gthat things were beginning to be filmed in HD, the fake marble sets just looked like printed wall paper?...same with the Vader helmet, they knew going in that not all the little details would be picked up on film but enough weathering and it would appear to be a real metallic helmet that's been through a few battles...the only very critical details (thus idealized) were that aside from random weathering, the surfaces of the helmets had to be made to pop from the black color, so that the shape can be seen and so the specific surfaces were painted for photographic reasons. ..
I'm happy with what I've seen so far from eFX, true there are tiny details that aren't there, but nothing jarring...1st generation from an actual helemt? I'm in. Molds by Rick Baker? I'm in. Gino (one of the few of the most picky vader dudes? - truth is, as long as it passes for one of these dudes even randomly, because they all know vader more intimately than I do detail-wise - I'm in. (becuase I have my own experience of Vader and it doesn't hinge on the tiny tiny details, just the characteristic ones) It doesn't have to be a consensus for me. Bryan (Lover of all things Star wars and prop guru? I'm in. eFx, quality company who placed so much love and effort into the McVader? I'm all in.

I dont care if they missed a couple of what very few consider landmark scars on the helmet...as long as the paint pattern is fine nd the provenance is correct and the obvious details are there I'm happy...

btw some of those pics on rpf to show how "wrong" the dome is , is biased because it is obvious that the angles are all completely off...people who are supposed to be so detail oriented that they could nitpick a scar of three should be totally aware if one vader helmet is at a different angle than another, don't you think?

So bottom line, I'm very VERy happy with what we've seen so far. So hopefully it lives up to the photos at the very least...and hopefully the handpainters have ways to keep the level of QC very high.

I'm so excited about these helmets I've ordered one of each...I refrained from getting 2 of the Legend for the fact that I didn't wanna have to choose a favorite between 2 - I'd just drive myself crazy, plus I figured it'd be nice for the few 250 to go to as many different collectors as possible who wanted one...

Right...when all the promo for the OT on DVD started, nobody could tell that the Vader suit they were seeing was that of the as yet unreleased Episode III...because there was very little "sith" official promo at the time...

Considering Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw in 1977 at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, ANH Vader is my most nostalgic image and is my collecting focus above others. However I do love the symmetry of the ROTS helmet and the way ot looks head on...
Remember, even though it was ultimately computer controlled, it was duplicated by choosing one side over the other and assembled by hand ... I love the look (though it is indeed a different, if more "youthful", face of Vader)

My Favorite is the ESB or Jedi look, but I associate most of my childhood memories with the ANH helmet...

The little scratches and scuffs that these folks are nitpicking, the most important "landmark" scars of the helmet are not obvious in the film and therefore don't matter so much to me -- the c scratch is obvious and must be there -- the two smudges on his right cheek edge are also obvious and the mottling in the mouth grill -- and they are there...so that's fine with me...they don't have to be 100% the same just enough to be mistaken for an actual one at 10 feet away by 99 % of the hardcore fans...as long as it shows clearly in the film and the prop matches it -- that's fine ... this helmet was made by official means it is licensed and it was taken directly from molds taken from Lucasfilm archives...the quality of paints and the generation of the mold are of utmost provenance and so I am happy with these eFx helmets thus far.

I LOVE a well made mass produced item and value it over a one of a kind, because there's something about getting an item like that , that was made to such nigh standards just for the collectors. There's something that feels like love and care was poured into it just for us, the popular niche...that's a lot of work to insure that a product of this magnitude and plurality is made with such a high level of quality and care from the product planning, replication, quality control and testing, finishing, and packaging to the handling of it...it is worth it just for all the work and effort and care -- even if it was made without some of the scars that some people are attached to, but many aren't.

Not one toy or prop I've ever come across was 100% accurate, and that's fine because it is different from the original anyway -- believe me, if you wanted a 100% accurate helmet, there would just be foam lining, unfinished fiberglass and lots of velcro just hanging around...props were made to be seen and many time things weren't cleaned up thoroughly because frankly the cameras couldn't pick most of it up...Did you know that the set on Jeopardy was changed partly because now gthat things were beginning to be filmed in HD, the fake marble sets just looked like printed wall paper?...same with the Vader helmet, they knew going in that not all the little details would be picked up on film but enough weathering and it would appear to be a real metallic helmet that's been through a few battles...the only very critical details (thus idealized) were that aside from random weathering, the surfaces of the helmets had to be made to pop from the black color, so that the shape can be seen and so the specific surfaces were painted for photographic reasons. ..
I'm happy with what I've seen so far from eFX, true there are tiny details that aren't there, but nothing jarring...1st generation from an actual helemt? I'm in. Molds by Rick Baker? I'm in. Gino (one of the few of the most picky vader dudes? - truth is, as long as it passes for one of these dudes even randomly, because they all know vader more intimately than I do detail-wise - I'm in. (becuase I have my own experience of Vader and it doesn't hinge on the tiny tiny details, just the characteristic ones) It doesn't have to be a consensus for me. Bryan (Lover of all things Star wars and prop guru? I'm in. eFx, quality company who placed so much love and effort into the McVader? I'm all in.

I dont care if they missed a couple of what very few consider landmark scars on the helmet...as long as the paint pattern is fine nd the provenance is correct and the obvious details are there I'm happy...

btw some of those pics on rpf to show how "wrong" the dome is , is biased because it is obvious that the angles are all completely off...people who are supposed to be so detail oriented that they could nitpick a scar of three should be totally aware if one vader helmet is at a different angle than another, don't you think?

So bottom line, I'm very VERy happy with what we've seen so far. So hopefully it lives up to the photos at the very least...and hopefully the handpainters have ways to keep the level of QC very high.

I'm so excited about these helmets I've ordered one of each...I refrained from getting 2 of the Legend for the fact that I didn't wanna have to choose a favorite between 2 - I'd just drive myself crazy, plus I figured it'd be nice for the few 250 to go to as many different collectors as possible who wanted one...

:clap :goodpost: :hi5:

THank you...the way I figure it all the anh helmets I've seen out there by the best guys are awesome...they all have things that make them great and all have things that detract...one of the detractors for some collectors is the officialness of a collectible -- that' important to me, because as an artist, I like that the proper permissions are made and with the official blessing of the owner of an item...doesn't mean a product is not good, but the process is also important to me...plus the owner of that object will have their own take as to what makes it characteristic for them... if George Lucas cared less about the c scar but really liked the edging detail, I'm fine with it...

but I don't consider the PT Vader as being a "pissed on" issue because the Helmet was to be seen for the first time at a straight angle -- it HAD to be symmetrical (there's also symmetry in the trilogies stories)...
The film would be shot in HD for the first time and didn't need the asymmetrical paint job to show different surfaces...also it had to look newly "machined" or manufactured. Shiny and new...and Hayden being smaller than Prowse had to have the face shrunken just a little maybe like 5% so that it would look like he was bigger than he is. (that's why the dome looks larger on this head than the OT helms - but it fits nicely)

I like that it has it's own character and adds to the Original's family of variation...

McVader, ANH, ESB, ROJ, ROS, ESB reveal (different cut of the mask)ROJ Reveal, ROJ Construction,
--except for the battle damaged Force Unleashed Vader -- the fantasy is that (you) the player is the ultimate Force Wielder -- that title rightfully belongs to Anakin...=)

Last edited:
Fortunately that level of nitpicking never happens here.

Slightly different when you're talking about something someone sculpted looking at a reference and something that was molded out of the original. In reality though, it's no less nuts here just homegrown.

Slightly different when you're talking about something someone sculpted looking at a reference and something that was molded out of the original. In reality though, it's no less nuts here just homegrown.

True. But I think part of the problem is that Sideshow has developed a reputation amongst purists and replica folks as a company that is more interested in doing things their own way than focusing on attention to detail. And that is a fair label and reputation given how inaccurate a lot of their products have been, from 1:6 all the way up to things like 1:1 R2.

Now, compare that to Master Replicas/eFX whose mandate is to produce products that are as 100% accurate as possible first and foremost. Of course, no one is going to achieve 100% accuracy all of the time. That's why it seems egregious for some of the more stubborn on the RPF to rail on an eFX helmet that is 99.5% accurate and why it's different than folks here nitpicking some of Sideshow's stuff, which is oft times inaccurate purely out of a lack of attention to detail.

Well, that and those on the RPF who are nitpicking the eFX Vader helmets are doing so purely out of personal spite, which is just petty to say the least.

All I know is that this is the first commercially available Vader helmet that really does it for me. The Sideshow bust, for example, while impressive in some ways, just looks wrongitty wrong wrong wrong when it comes to the helmet. I don't know enough about the Vader helmet to put my finger on the specific problems, but I know it doesn't look right to me. (Same for the helmet on their 1:6 scale figure.)

I don't expect perfection, but I do expect it to look like the character and not have glaring errors (this was one of my problems with the 1:1 C-3PO figure and bust).

I'm getting the idealized Vader helmet. I like the ANH helmet shape, I just always thought the paint job/finish looked crappy in ANH. Heresy, I know.

I'm getting the idealized Vader helmet. I like the ANH helmet shape, I just always thought the paint job/finish looked crappy in ANH. Heresy, I know.

The Limited is only relatively idealized in comparison to the Legend. The main difference is that they cleaned up and filled in some of the blemishes and scratches that were part of the actual mold and the screen-used helmet (this was the deal-breaker for me personally) and the finish on the mask will be factory spray-painted and not hand-painted. The gun metal gray areas also appear to be a little darker (at least in the pics). The domes will be the same.

Legend on Left, Limited on Right:
efx_vader_sidebyside_01.jpg

If you want a truly idealized Vader helmet, your best bet is still the ROTS one from Master Replicas. Bust I suppose the ANH Limited is a happy middle ground for those who want a more idealized ANH helm. :hi5:

The Limited is only relatively idealized in comparison to the Legend. The main difference is that they cleaned up and filled in some of the blemishes and scratches that were part of the actual mold and the screen-used helmet (this was the deal-breaker for me personally) and the finish on the mask will be factory spray-painted and not hand-painted. The gun metal gray areas also appear to be a little darker (at least in the pics). The domes will be the same.

If you want a truly idealized Vader helmet, your best bet is still the ROTS one from Master Replicas. Bust I suppose the ANH Limited is a happy middle ground for those who want a more idealized ANH helm. :hi5:

Thanks for the rundown. I opt for the middle ground. :lol

Star Wars wasn't a movie to me as a child, it was something tangible. Darth Vader wasn't some guy wearing a prop, he existed. There was no behind the scenes aspect to Star Wars for me. That's why screen accuracy doesn't matter as much to me as my own vision of what Star Wars is. If that makes any sense.

/end boring backstory

yeah, middle ground FTW:yess: I've said from the beginning I just wanted an ANH Vader helmet without all the blemishes and I'm so glad that's exactly what I'm getting. Plus, I really prefer the matte finish look of this compared to the super shiny versions in ESB/ROTJ anyway. And that's coming from someone who had the ROTS Vader helmet once. No regrets on selling it now though

Back