eFX Announce The Avengers Collectibles!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I don't recall any Thor handles falling off when picking it up. I expect the same quality with this. Considering not very many are even in collectors hands, and we've seen many cases already with the screws breaking off, I don't think it's gonna be very good when the rest go out, but time will tell. Maybe they fix the issue on the rest.

well, I don't recall any Thor handles falling off when picking it up. I expect the same quality with this. Considering not very many are even in collectors hands, and we've seen many cases already with the screws breaking off, I don't think it's gonna be very good when the rest go out, but time will tell. Maybe they fix the issue on the rest.

the problem is metal screws into fiber glass don't mix well

If anyone wants to get a confirmation about Efx props and their durability just watch this video. The founder of the company explains props. Efx's process for making the props and even gives the disclaimer that nothing they make for props should be used for costuming. That stormtrooper is the balls and if it goes for sale I will definitely buy it b t dubs.:lol wonderful looking hero suit.

At the 2 minute mark you will get the answer to any question you have about their process. Very informative. Bryan is a nice guy if they could just get their products out the door this company would own.

there you go...display purposes ONLY and not meant to carry around... a waste of $600 to me...I want a shield that can be carried around,will last and not break in a week

I guess that when they said it was a replica of the stunt shield, everyone assumed that you could carry it around and all that since the stunt shield is used for a ton of ****

Since mine is for display purposes only, I am happy with the efx. I don't like the issues with the finish on the King Arts shield,
and I want to keep the same company going with all the Marvel props... no mix and match.

Glad to have it in my collection. Just hoping efx can get more products out there in the next year or two.

Hahah canceling because of the screws coming loose? Theres a thing called epoxy or super glue. You guys are such pansies.

Since mine is for display purposes only, I am happy with the efx. I don't like the issues with the finish on the King Arts shield,
and I want to keep the same company going with all the Marvel props... no mix and match.

Glad to have it in my collection. Just hoping efx can get more products out there in the next year or two.

You jump ship from KA completely Dino ?

Hahah canceling because of the screws coming loose? Theres a thing called epoxy or super glue. You guys are such pansies.

No they are canceling because they don't want the screws to slip the thread in the fiberglass when they are carrying it and the damn thing falls to the ground and crack because it's made out of bathtub material.:lol

And the fact that if you are paying $600 for a shield, the last thing on your mind should be to grab it on the ends in fear of the straps breaking.

I personally am getting rid of mine because the shield looks like a cosplay project, it's not metal and it is shaped like a salad bowl.

No they are canceling because they don't want the screws to slip the thread in the fiberglass when they are carrying it and the damn thing fall to the ground and crack because it's made out of bathtub material.:lol

And the fact that if you are paying $600 for a shield, the last thing on your mind should be to grab it on the ends in fear of the straps breaking.

I personally am getting rid of mine because the shield looks like a bad cosplay project, it's not metal and it is shaped like a salad bowl.

Dude...fiberglass is fiberglass. The same material they make boats and surfboards out of. You guys are talking like there are different grades of fiberglass and efx is using the cheapest material available. To my knowledge fiberglass is the same all around.

Yeah metal screws into fiberglass is honestly an automatic failure....but all you would have to do is epoxy the screws inplace and youre all set like nothing was ever wrong.

Its not metal?? No one said it was going to be metal. It was known to be fiberglass from the start! It looks like what it was INTENDED to look like...the stunt prop.

Dude...fiberglass is fiberglass. The same material they make boats and surfboards out of. You guys are talking like there are different grades of fiberglass and efx is using the cheapest material available. To my knowledge fiberglass is the same all around.

Yeah metal screws into fiberglass is honestly an automatic failure....but all you would have to do is epoxy the screws inplace and youre all set like nothing was ever wrong.

Its not metal?? No one said it was going to be metal. It was known to be fiberglass from the start! It looks like what it was INTENDED to look like...the stunt prop.

Fiberglass is not all made the same. The mix of the resin into the compound can alter greatly. It's not about being cheap, More so it is about the Chinese factory pouring the compound correctly and not making a weaker bond and no way from Efx to check it. Once fiber glass is cracked the bond is gone and it will fail. Sure you can get material bonds or other agents to fix it, but why bother with it.

The metal comment was not a reasoning as being misled. I got the Efx at the time because it was the only one I knew about. I now have the stealth and classic KA shields which for my needs blows the doors off of this one. I don't want a prop replica that came out looking like this with the issues it has, hence I am dumping this product.

:rolleyes2 come on! for $600 plus shipping..I shouldn't have to repair my shield after a week or anytime for that matter

WE KNOW IT'S FIBERGLASS...that's not my issue...the issue is paying for something that really isn't made well and that metal screws are not really meant to secure properly into fiberglass

Hello Sideshow Community,

I'm a newbie here but have been following your thread for sometime now. I should say that it's very informative. To be honest, this thread helped me decide which cap shield to purchase, the eFX, KA, Lager or Cat Toys. I went and bought the eFX shield for its faithfulness and screen accuracy to the movie. I also like Lager and Cat Toys over the KA because it is close to the movie props in color and design. Unfortunately with KA shields, the dark red is just too much for me. And this, along with Lager has the black lining in between the blue, red, and silver threads. It just catches the eye. But I absolutely love the KA stand and wall mount, it's very impressive.

On the other hand, Lager shields color and shine is almost screen accurate. Had it not been with black lining in-between threads, it's close if not equal to the movie props. Having said this, Cat Toys is for me, closer to the screen props in its metallic shine and color. The problem with Cat Toys shield is its smaller diameter, less than 24 inches (about 23.2 inches) when compared to the screen prop size of about 24.8 inches. So that's 2 inches difference which to me is significant.

If I personally rank the different shields in terms of screen accuracy, I would say eFX, then Cat Toys, Lager and KA. Of course, different people have different preference. I like most, would like to have a metallic shield which is why I'm planning to get either a Lager or Cat Toys.

As for problems highlighted by other owners of the eFX shield, I can only share my experience playing around with the shield. First, it is HEAVY! I feel that the leather straps are having difficulty holding the shield in place when carried around. Having said this, I, my son and brother have been holding the shield and carrying it around for a month now but I have to say that we have no problem with it. It's quite perfect to carry and pose with it on cosplays and even on special occasions with other friends. They are all impressed with it's build and sturdiness. Although I always checked the straps and screws of my shield again after reading the problems of other eFX owner's, all I can say is that it's still there with no stress marks on its rivets. While I have to say again that because the shield is quite heavy, tossing it around, punching with the shield, or other action oriented movements may cause undue stress that may ultimately pull out the screws. However, I can confidently say that if it's juts being help for poses, normal handling or strapped to the arm, it's quite robust and the straps, screws, and leather can hold the shield for length of time (your arms will be the one to surrender carrying the shield :)

I hope my feedback will help other collectors who are afraid to purchase the eFX shield. It's quite expensive and purchasing it also has an element of luck which shouldn't be the case.

The raised star on the Cat Toys ruins the shield IMO. Plus I've seen comments saying be careful when handling, paint may chip.

Yes, I've also heard about the paint chip on Cat Toys but it maybe the same with other metal shields. Paints do scratch off on metallic body if one is not careful. The Cat Toys star is a bit off too (if seen from the sides) but is subtle when seen at the center. But the Lager and KA shield is probably close to screen accurate. Maybe if KA can tone down the red and a bit of shine similar to how the shield reflects in the movies, KA will be hard to beat. I'm still planning to get a metal shield, but I'm considering the Lager for its color and shine which is close to screen accurate. If we add a magnet at the back of the shield coupled to another magnet strapped to your back, voila, we can carry the shield much as how Cap'n America carries it in the movies. This is another reason why a metal shield is better for hand held activities.

You jump ship from KA completely Dino ?

I think so... I was just turned off by that weird splotchy finish. If I am going to pay $900 for any shield,
it better be perfect from the front, and KA is not. I was all in for KA at the beginning... and it is still a nice shield,
but it has issues just like the efx one does. Just different issues.

I can live with the efx as my display piece, it has the authenticity behind it that the others don't.

Yes, I've also heard about the paint chip on Cat Toys but it maybe the same with other metal shields. Paints do scratch off on metallic body if one is not careful. The Cat Toys star is a bit off too (if seen from the sides) but is subtle when seen at the center. But the Lager and KA shield is probably close to screen accurate. Maybe if KA can tone down the red and a bit of shine similar to how the shield reflects in the movies, KA will be hard to beat. I'm still planning to get a metal shield, but I'm considering the Lager for its color and shine which is close to screen accurate. If we add a magnet at the back of the shield coupled to another magnet strapped to your back, voila, we can carry the shield much as how Cap'n America carries it in the movies. This is another reason why a metal shield is better for hand held activities.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the boards!:welcome1:

My one comment to you and this is from a person that has EFX in hand, KA Stealth, and KA classic sitting at home, if you saw the KA shield and the EFX shield as a blind test outside in person with sunlight you would choose the KA shield 10 out of 10 times. The paint on the KA shield is a different type of paint for metal than paint used for fiberglass.

The EFX paintjob is a vibrant orange red. Lining the two up together in sunlight the KA makes the EFX shield look muted and dull.

Again these shields are 100% buyer want. These threads should not be taken as gospel, but rather data points to use information on making the best purchase for you. Having all 3 of these shields, for me the metal, the stand, the finish and the actual shield cut and star work are the best on the KA.

I also tinker and am not afraid to tinker and paint and change things I purchase. So the fact KA is metal, if I really wanted to get it to exactly the color and exactly the sheen I want it is not difficult to do. Simple sanding primer and spray paint will make the KA look perfect to my eyes. If the straps are not good, I can tap and sink new pop rivets to strengthen my shield with thicker higher quality leather straps. I like having those options with a metal shield.

Having said that, I am totally happy with the KA the way it is. :duff

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the boards!:welcome1:

My one comment to you and this is from a person that has EFX in hand, KA Stealth, and KA classic sitting at home, if you saw the KA shield and the EFX shield as a blind test outside in person with sunlight you would choose the KA shield 10 out of 10 times. The paint on the KA shield is a different type of paint for metal than paint used for fiberglass.

The EFX paintjob is a vibrant orange red. Lining the two up together in sunlight the KA makes the EFX shield look muted and dull.

Again these shields are 100% buyer want. These threads should not be taken as gospel, but rather data points to use information on making the best purchase for you. Having all 3 of these shields, for me the metal, the stand, the finish and the actual shield cut and star work are the best on the KA.

I also tinker and am not afraid to tinker and paint and change things I purchase. So the fact KA is metal, if I really wanted to get it to exactly the color and exactly the sheen I want it is not difficult to do. Simple sanding primer and spray paint will make the KA look perfect to my eyes. If the straps are not good, I can tap and sink new pop rivets to strengthen my shield with thicker higher quality leather straps. I like having those options with a metal shield.

Having said that, I am totally happy with the KA the way it is. :duff

Thanks Hokietwo for the feedback as well and for welcoming me aboard :) As a collector myself, I do appreciate feedbacks coming from others owners who have the shields on-hand where you can see their differences, strengths and weaknesses, and most importantly, your preference as you hold them all together. I also agree that the eFX lacks the glossiness and shine of the metal shields, one I really, really want in owning a shield. Which is why I'm planning to get a second shield made of metal to give me that satisfaction I crave ;-)

I also agree that having the metals shield looks so much better under lighting, especially when light reflects on it, regardless if its KA, Lager or Cat Toys. I'm afraid I'm not much of a hobbyist to tinker around my collection to give it the look I need. But as I read through this thread, I really learned a lot from the community sharing their knowledge and learning's on how best to look out for items that are worth to spend our hard earned extra income. I'm just glad to be able to share my small experiences as well to help others make decision on their investments, much as this thread has helped me make mine.

Next stop on my list is Thor's hammer by eFX (if ever there's still a chance to get it a reasonable price) to complement my Mjolnir made by Lager :) Also planning to get an Iron Man helmet with an automatic opening and closing face plate with light up eyes.

Back