Edition size: NRD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rogue Exclusive had an edition size of 750 which was not small, and there was more than enough time to get one as she took hours to sell out. It was partially due to her being well sculpted and also cos she's a companion piece to the awesome Gambit PF.

Everyone of those gave ample time for collectors to put their order in versus the PPOs that sometimes took seconds or minutes to sell out pre-NRD.

That belongs in the Joker or Rogue thread, let's keep on topic.

It goes to prove motivation for keeping the edition size a secret until after Joker Ex. sold out.

That's been the question all along. Why did they do it, and should they have done it. For all you guys know, this was a one time thing they implemented as a type of security. They want to sell as many as they can, but they don't want an inflated edition size. I can't think of any other way to that besides keeping the flippers out.

All NRD stuff is up long enough so collectors can get it and that's great.

But if the edition size is revealed, those factoring resale value have the information they need to make a decision. Without it, they don't know if there will be 200 or 2000. With how many people were put off by the exclusive portrait, who could tell if it was taking a long time because of that, or the NRD, or the ES. It was a crap shoot.

How many releases in the last year or so have had a small edition size of 250 or less?

Last edited:
I was just using those numbers to illustrate the point, but the Battle of Crete paratrooper was 100. Doesn't happen often, but it's not unprecedented for a 1:4 scale piece. Wyatt Earp was 200. Doc Holliday was 125. Both of those are pre-NRD though. Paratrooper might have been too.

Templar's Verdict was this year, with NRD, and he was 350.

Last edited:
All NRD stuff is up long enough so collectors can get it and that's great.

I really think that is what is most important. All of the die hard SSC collectors do seem to have ample time to pick up presale SS pieces. Obviously you can't drag your feet for too long. Popular characters that are well sculpted won't last very long. However, I think SS does an excellent job of previewing their products to their collectors. They give you enough time to figure out if you want to add a piece to your collection. We do only have ourselves to blame if a piece sells out while we sit on the fence. I do love the fact that if you KNOW you want a piece, you will be able to get it.

Rogue Exclusive had an edition size of 750 which was not small, and there was more than enough time to get one as she took hours to sell out. It was partially due to her being well sculpted and also cos she's a companion piece to the awesome Gambit PF.

Everyone of those gave ample time for collectors to put their order in versus the PPOs that sometimes took seconds or minutes to sell out pre-NRD.

Damn fuzzy, I remember those PPO days. I'll never forget when the Brooks Scarlet Witch and the AH Mystique went up at the same time. Hell, you didn't even have time to check for an ES, even if it was already posted. If you bothered to look for it, you missed out on them because they sold out that quickly. I remember people that secured one and then went back to get the other only to find the item waitlisted.:horror I'm glad I only wanted Mystique and I didn't take the time to even look for the ES. :lol

I pre-ordered the Joker and am paying $350 because I think the piece looks incredible and I see value in it for my collection.

If the NRD combined with no ES means the flippers and speculators are holding back then good, more opportunity for me to get a statue.

If not releasing the ES gives SS a chance to adjust production numbers to make sure the majority of the collectors get a statue then also good. If the ES was even as high as 5000 that is still a low number compared to my tv and car, I mean it is still rare right?

I do understand that one of the attractions of collecting these things is the idea that you can sell for a break even point or in some cases a profit. Just be aware that new collectors come into this game at all times and will in the future, they will then be happy to buy your Joker cause even with a large ES they will have missed out.

Overall if the change in NRD and ES policy makes SS more financially successful then as a collector I am happy cause it means they can keep making the items I love and then maybe take risks on 2nd and 3rd tier niche characters that some people want.

I know that Flippers and speculators are still SS customers too and deserve to be heard, I think those people will still be able to get what they want, they will just have to wait longer to do so and if that keeps the majority of collectors happy then so be it.

Having said all that having an item on a waitlist and still no ES seems weird unless they are going to adjust the ES to fill waitlist as well.

Just my 2 cents

I really think that is what is most important. All of the die hard SSC collectors do seem to have ample time to pick up presale SS pieces. Obviously you can't drag your feet for too long. Popular characters that are well sculpted won't last very long. However, I think SS does an excellent job of previewing their products to their collectors. They give you enough time to figure out if you want to add a piece to your collection. We do only have ourselves to blame if a piece sells out while we sit on the fence. I do love the fact that if you KNOW you want a piece, you will be able to get it.

Yeah, there is no rush to get a piece now, everything takes a while to sell out with NRD in effect. Now if they keep having full disclosure of edition size to NRD, the collector can make a proper informed decision when putting his money down on an item.

If the ES was even as high as 5000 that is still a low number compared to my tv and car, I mean it is still rare right?

Difference between a car/tv is most people have them, Very few on the same scale are collectors. So i would say an ES of 5000 is massive way to big.

Difference between a car/tv is most people have them, Very few on the same scale are collectors. So i would say an ES of 5000 is massive way to big.
Depends on what you collect, I guess. Hot Toys figures are released in edition sizes of the thousands. Unclear how many thousands, but probably 5-10,000 for some of the bigger releases. They are still collectible IMO.

I agree that if a NRD is charged an ES should be shown. It's like two parties making a deal and one party hiding its end of the deal.

Depends on what you collect, I guess. Hot Toys figures are released in edition sizes of the thousands. Unclear how many thousands, but probably 5-10,000 for some of the bigger releases. They are still collectible IMO.

He was talking about Exclusive numbers not the regular :)

Very true, collectors willing to spend money on the more expensive high end larger scale items especially seem to be a smaller group, especially opposed to the cheaper 1:6 scale items. Needless to say, when customers put down payment on something most of them want as much information about the product as possible.

HT figures are creeping up in price. Nicholson Joker is $260ish. Not a heck of alot cheaper than Joker PF.

He was talking about Exclusive numbers not the regular :)
I thought we were just talking about collectibles. Do you really want to make this a discussion about "exclusive" items only?

Since NRD for Sideshow items is for exclusives, maybe we'll keep it about exclusives. Many of the regular Sideshow made items don't have even NRDs attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back