Ebayers selling pre-orders

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAlexanderTheGreat

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
So something I've noticed a lot on ebay (and a little bit here) is people selling their pre-orders of various collectables (mostly from XM or PCS) either in an auction, or for what I assume is higher than the original price. To me (no offense to anyone who does this) this seems pretty unfair , so my question is this something that is frowned on by most collectors, or is it just accepted as part of the wa things work?

Can't sell preorders on this board.

As for doing it on ebay, I don't see a problem if they come through on the transaction. Never one to whine about 'scalpers'.

Same issue as ever- what happens when the PO doesnt happen before the ebay and/or payal refund window closes. I see hulkbuster on ebay and it wont be out for another year. Once that window expires, the seller has your money, you have no item, and you have no recourse. I stay away from these kind of things like the plague.

I preordered kung lao world box last year in may cause i saw a good deal, did it on ebay. He is out everywhere and person never shipped and wont respond to me. I am way past paypal deadline so he scammed me out of $140 :(

Im still surprised ebay doesnt crack down on this. Ebay will bend over backwards to protect buyers (often unfairly ive heard).

I ordered a ss cobra commander (v 1) off ebay maybe 4 months before the release. When it came out the guy was a no show. Emails on this were ignored. I set up a dummy ebay acct and asked him a question on another item, which he answered. So i knew he wasnt dead or in the hospital or something. After a few dummy emails i told him who i was, what i had ordered, and that i wanted my money back. Maybe 3 weeks later i got a refund and an apology (even though i was outside the window).

This PO crap has got to be the easiest scam on ebay.

Same issue as ever- what happens when the PO doesnt happen before the ebay and/or payal refund window closes. I see hulkbuster on ebay and it wont be out for another year. Once that window expires, the seller has your money, you have no item, and you have no recourse. I stay away from these kind of things like the plague.

This. :goodpost:

I preordered kung lao world box last year in may cause i saw a good deal, did it on ebay. He is out everywhere and person never shipped and wont respond to me. I am way past paypal deadline so he scammed me out of $140 :(

I have a similar issue going on with an Artemisia statue, except I am out 374.00. Maybe eBay will help, I still have the resolution going on. Will never again preorder on eBay though.

It cannot be stressed too strongly - Do not place pre-orders thru eBay, where the shipping date is long after your Payment protection expires.. it contravenes eBay's T&Cs and encourages scammers.

Sadly, new collectors keep falling for this type of scam.. if a deal seems too good to be true, then it generally is.

eBay can be useful if you are dealing with reputable HK Sellers, who supply Special editions, which are difficult to get hold of in the West..and/or if you want to be the first on your block, to own a new figure after its release in HK, before Western retailers get stock.. however, generally you will pay extra (not less) for that service (especially if you are paying shipping and customs fees).. but those services are completely different, to placing a dodgy pre-order, a year or so before release.

eBay should cancel the listing as the item will not be delivered in 60 days (I think - it could be 90) but you can report the seller.

I feel for the people who have pre ordered and have lost a lot of money. And if there are hulkbusters online that is a massive chunk of money to be potentially losing. Especially the fact that these sellers can't be given any negative feedback for this as it needs to be left in the time mentioned

I could be wrong but I hate to imagine how many people have been ripped

hopefully eBay will sort it out

Back