earthquake today in the L.A AREA

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malice

Super Freak
Reaction score
happier than hell that it's finally coming!
== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==
California Integrated Seismic Net
USGS/ Caltech/ CGS/ UCB/ UCSD/ UNR

Version #2: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event.
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

A moderate earthquake occurred at 11:42:15 AM (PDT) on Tuesday, July 29, 2008.
The magnitude 5.8 event occurred 3 km (2 miles) SW of Chino Hills, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 12 km ( 8 miles).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magnitude 5.8 - local magnitude (ML)
Time Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:42:15 AM (PDT)
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 18:42:15 (UTC)
Distance from Chino Hills, CA - 3 km (2 miles) SW (235 degrees)
Diamond Bar, CA - 8 km (5 miles) SE (127 degrees)
Yorba Linda, CA - 9 km (5 miles) NNE (23 degrees)
Pomona, CA - 11 km (7 miles) S (178 degrees)
Los Angeles Civic Center, CA - 47 km (29 miles) ESE (103 degrees)

Coordinates 33 deg. 57.5 min. N (33.959N), 117 deg. 45.1 min. W (117.752W)
Depth 12.4 km (7.7 miles)
Location Quality Good
Location Quality Parameters Nst=144, Nph=144, Dmin=8 km, Rmss=0.42 sec, Erho=0.4 km, Erzz=1.3 km, Gp=18 degrees
Event ID# ci14383980

wow! we had'nt had a quake in a good while:horror:horror:horror

Re: 5.8 Hits LA

It was pretty big up here in Ventura County as well. Thankfully it was a more roll type one (at least it was in my neck of the woods). It's been a while since I felt one of that magnitude.

How bad was it? Injuries/casualties? I hope everyone's OK.

I sat through an earthquake on Thanksgiving Day while at the movies watching "A Bug's Life." The camera started shaking, and the resulting image projection made me instantly seasick. I was worried that the ceiling tiles would start falling. The kids in the theater were screaming like mad. When I got home, tons of stuff had fallen off the shelves.

It shook up Hollywood pretty good, we're a lot closer.

I wonder what happened in Downtown LA... :monkey1

How bad was it? Injuries/casualties? I hope everyone's OK.

I sat through an earthquake on Thanksgiving Day while at the movies watching "A Bug's Life." The camera started shaking, and the resulting image projection made me instantly seasick. I was worried that the ceiling tiles would start falling. The kids in the theater were screaming like mad. When I got home, tons of stuff had fallen off the shelves.

everything is ok my wife and kids are aliltle shaken up but Thank GOD it was a small one. I remember the big one we had in the mid 90's now that one was wicked.:monkey2:monkey2

i've never experienced an earthquake...what is it like

They can feel different depending where you are.

This recent one was a rolling one (up in my area). Imagine being on a softly rocking for a bit and then it starts rocking harder and then dies back down again.

The Northridge quake (which was over a 6.0) was a massive shake that lasted for a quite a bit. Imagine someone grabbing by your upper arms and shaking you pretty violently and that's how that one felt to me.

Most are so small you barely feel a little sway.

Some are never felt at all.

They can feel different depending where you are.

This recent one was a rolling one (up in my area). Imagine being on a softly rocking for a bit and then it starts rocking harder and then dies back down again.

The Northridge quake (which was over a 6.0) was a massive shake that lasted for a quite a bit. Imagine someone grabbing by your upper arms and shaking you pretty violently and that's how that one felt to me.

Most are so small you barely feel a little sway.

Some are never felt at all.

yeah what cahobbit said,:D

I felt it out here in ventura county, none of my statues fell luckily. It was pretty sizeable, but not too big.

Back