DX09 KEATON BATMAN: residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, when I made that post, you jumped in with a rather snide comment of "bend it at the elbows for 6 months & see what happens". Unnecessary, uncalled for, irrelevant & unproductive, which, from my POV, is your usual MO....and the very definition of trolling.

But it wasn't uncalled for and wasn't in the least irrelevant. You were trying to make a point that not every figure has QC issues. The very example you used, HT's Hell Boy, has them. The point of my post wasn't to be snide, it was to point out that your example was poor as the rubber body (despite your delusions) cracks and tears when posed and is one of the more notorious of their releases given MANY who've owned him have experienced it.

Last edited:
Does the hot toys Bruce wayne/batman figure have any problem? I found 1 that is less than 400 usd and was wondering if I should get that or wait till the 1989 batman issue is fixed.

Does the hot toys Bruce wayne/batman figure have any problem? I found 1 that is less than 400 usd and was wondering if I should get that or wait till the 1989 batman issue is fixed.

I remember it having issues with broken sockets in the boots, the groin coming unglued and paint rubbing. Not sure if there was anything else.

There's a Bruce Wayne/Batman Thread you can find all the info on.

I appreciate this thread and the heads up from the folks that had problems with oil appearing on their figure.

Received mine today and no oil (so far).

At this point, given your question has been answered in detail, I'm guessing you're either really thick-headed or just being obstinate. :cuckoo:

I believe the word you are looking for is "obtuse." :lecture

obtuse.PNG

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

I have the DCU DX02 Batman with the plastic abs, and that didn't start leaking until a year in. It still leaks a tiny bit from time to time. Just got DX09 and it's completely clean. I will check regularly, but for now, no problems.
THIS! :lecture

This seems to be the biggest issue. Too many are quick to dismiss that very fact not understanding that, "I've owned mine since February. You guys are making an issue out of nothing." is completely irrelevant. ATM, it's too soon to tell anything. The poll in the DX02 thread proves that.

This is indeed an incontrovertible truth. Until sufficient time has passed, there is no way to know it wont leak eventually. However, although there are many DX02's that didn't leak for a year, there were also many that leaked right out of the box. Figures that needed to be wiped daily - right out of the box. It was pandemonium right from the get-go. In this case only 7 figures have had oil at all, and of those 7, only 2 were reported to have the oil come back (both Rory's, and it's unclear whether the oil came back on one or both of them). So as far as I can tell, only 2 (or 1) figures in this thread (and perhaps in the world[?]) have had a recurring oil problem. I'm sure you'll correct me if I've missed something.

So although oil could turn up on this figure in a year, oil could also turn up on the Toys Fair Bruce Wayne in 6 months.

:wave

Still dry.

At this point, I'm willing to consider that the mystery goop might have been related to the magnet glue/tape situation OR to the glue used to attach the belt buckle itself. A buckle, by the way, that I just managed to snap off due to the constant opening/closing of said belt looking for the reappearance of the phantom oil. HT's glue really does blow.

I'm sure I'll be (apparently, very gingerly) checking behind his belt from time to time but I'm pretty much done worrying about it. Whatever it was that was going on with my figure, it's looking more and more like a one-time occurrence.

Wouldn't it be nuts if that's all this turned out to be. A bit of glue. King Darkness (I think it was him) did say it was the constancy of olive oil though.

My current theory (mind, it's just a theory) is that in most cases the residue is caused by one of 2 things:

1) Glue from the tape on the belt.
2) Lubricant from pulling the suit over the body. In the assembly line oil might occasionally get daubed where it doesn't belong, i.e. the shoulder area, the waist, etc. In these cases the texture would indeed be like that of olive oil, but once rubbed off it would not return.

If the oil returns however, then it indicates that the rubber itself is breaking down like the DX02. Again, that seems to be the exception, not the rule.

This is indeed an incontrovertible truth. Until sufficient time has passed, there is no way to know it wont leak eventually. However, although there are many DX02's that didn't leak for a year, there were also many that leaked right out of the box. Figures that needed to be wiped daily - right out of the box. It was pandemonium right from the get-go.

That's actually not true. The DX02 leakage started much the same as this, with only a few people having just a smidge of shine on the abs, asking about it and being trolled for making a mountain out of a molehill. Again, all you have to do is look at the poll and compare it to what you see in the latter half of the thread to see how misleading that whole situation was.

From the first page of the leaky DX02 thread:

Barely noticeable and I only have to clean it once or twice a day.

Mine leaks a little, periodically it comes back on the edges of the lower plates and I carefully dab it away.

So anybody has got the second batch "rumored" to have this problem fixed? Also, as i can make out from several posts on board that this problem is pretty widespread, how seriously is HT taking this issue? Is there any note released by them? 'cause a figure costing $160+ should not require regular care (quoting Rory - "..not a pet". so true man)

Mine is still dry.

Sure would be nice if mostly owners of the figure would post in here. Might get a better handle on the actual situation rather than a bunch of speculation. As it is this thread is pretty much useless and unhelpful.

This is indeed an incontrovertible truth. Until sufficient time has passed, there is no way to know it wont leak eventually.

And, yes, this a completely true statement.

Rubber and hot toys has a bad record that's a fact. I've just come to expect that and I got extra parted out bits for this. Did it for Thor too.

If it does not happen, great. If it does, well I'm expecting it to anyway.

Even with dx02. I have plastic and and plastic biceps and they still leak.

Whatever. It's rubber and plastic and it's a figure/doll. Its if you think it should have special exception for durability based on price then think again.

It's only 250 bucks because youre willing to pay that for it. and hot toys knows it, it could cost less than half and they would still turn a profit.

But you're still gonna buy it anyways, I am. Obviously,

I'm telling you if you expect any different then you're just setting yourself up for dissapointment. Try and enjoy it for whatever it is and accept that it won't last forever.

My current theory (mind, it's just a theory) is that in most cases the residue is caused by...

Lubricant from pulling the suit over the body
. In the assembly line oil might occasionally get daubed where it doesn't belong, i.e. the shoulder area, the waist, etc. In these cases the texture would indeed be like that of olive oil, but once rubbed off it would not return.

That's where I found myself leaning all afternoon.

Going even further, since my particular figure's goop was located behind the belt buckle, I've now begun to wonder - and I realize that this may be a bit of a stretch - but I wonder if there's anyway that the (granted, alleged) lubricant could seep through the suit a little if too much pressure was applied? How porous is this thing, exactly? I've always pushed the belt buckle against the figure in order to latch it shut. Maybe it was a little like squeezing a sponge? Perhaps in my figure's case, it was simply the pressure from closing the belt a few times that caused some oil (man, I'm getting sick of reading that word...) to leak through the suit.

I dunno. Like I said, it might be a stretch. All I know is that it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't seen any sort of goop, glop nor slop since that initial encounter.

Mine is still dry.

Sure would be nice if mostly owners of the figure would post in here. Might get a better handle on the actual situation rather than a bunch of speculation. As it is this thread is pretty much useless and unhelpful.

And, yes, this a completely true statement.

I agree with you. I've followed this thread since the 1st post because I have this figure on pre-order. There have been maybe 30 insightful posts. Many have just been people arguing about a totally separate figure. Some people have just been trying to create a storm over nothing. Basically, a handful of people have noticed an oily or sticky substance around the belt area. One person has said it's not just from the belt. That's it.

That's where I found myself leaning all afternoon.

Going even further, since my particular figure's goop was located behind the belt buckle, I've now begun to wonder - and I realize that this may be a bit of a stretch - but I wonder if there's anyway that the (granted, alleged) lubricant could seep through the suit a little if too much pressure was applied? How porous is this thing, exactly? I've always pushed the belt buckle against the figure in order to latch it shut. Maybe it was a little like squeezing a sponge? Perhaps in my figure's case, it was simply the pressure from closing the belt a few times that caused some oil (man, I'm getting sick of reading that word...) to leak through the suit.

I dunno. Like I said, it might be a stretch. All I know is that it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't seen any sort of goop, glop nor slop since that initial encounter.

Thanks for the info, boot. The belt on mine is actually too tight to the point it's putting a slight wrinkle in the suit. Plus every time I take it off I have to put quite a bit of pressure on it to get it to latch. Still no residue for me though so that's good.

I agree with you. I've followed this thread since the 1st post because I have this figure on pre-order. There have been maybe 30 insightful posts. Many have just been people arguing about a totally separate figure. Some people have just been trying to create a storm over nothing. Basically, a handful of people have noticed an oily or sticky substance around the belt area. One person has said it's not just from the belt. That's it.

You could probably condense this thread to about five pages and it would be just as helpful. :lol I'm glad Rory felt inclined to start it as a heads up but, dang, it's become a mess.

I've been :lurking this tread for a while now, kinda interested in whats going on as well as hesitant to post here as I'm not looking for drama(its like a soap opera in hear) I just recevied mine today and I'm so happy to have him, I feel that alot of people are not getting him for fear of this oil issue which is a shame, cause there really missing out on an epic figure. There may or may not be an actual oil issue here, as 6 to 7 people have reported they seen it, wiped it and it did not come back with the exception of one person who said it did. This may be just a simple case of resido from the manufacturing process.... or maybe it is an issue, not really sure, no one is. My question is what is the purpose of waiting to see if there is an issue, and how long would you wait cause we have heard here that it could show up right away or years later, by that time it will be overpriced or replaced with a better version. So I say if you want it, get it, I'm glad I did:)

PS mines dry:yess:

Back