DX09 KEATON BATMAN: residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3.- varnish: putting a coat (or maybe 2) of varnish on the belt interior will isolate any chemical reaction, specially if it's not only caused by the rubbers, but also by some "production" oil. If you use a wather based acrylic varnish, it will be oleophobic as well. I'm just guessing, but this solve some melting problems in some customs I have done.

Thank you for your insight Rodan, I plan on applying your tip #3 straight out of the box when I get mine :duff

I applied varnish to the ab area of my DX02 that leaked like a damn sieve, and it drastically reduced the amount of oil that appeared, though it didn't fix the problem entirely. If the problem is indeed the belt, it will probably work.

I applied varnish to the ab area of my DX02 that leaked like a damn sieve, and it drastically reduced the amount of oil that appeared, though it didn't fix the problem entirely. If the problem is indeed the belt, it will probably work.

as I say, your reaction was already started... I's very hard to stop it...
but did you use some enamel based varnish? or acrylic?
if you use enamel based (oleophilic) it will create a mixture betwee the active ruber (primers) and the varnish... so you will have less concentration of primer, but still, some of it... so the reaction will slowdown
if you use a oleophobic varnish it will isolate the primers, but if the rubber is already melted, the process will still continue until it's out of primer...

if you use enamel based (oleophilic) it will create a mixture betwee the active ruber (primers) and the varnish... so you will have less concentration of primer, but still, some of it... so the reaction will slowdown
if you use a oleophobic varnish it will isolate the primers, but if the rubber is already melted, the process will still continue until it's out of primer...

It seems like the buckle is different from the rest of the belt. If you look at these photos from Rory and Mag, the buckle has yellow paint applied, where the rest of the belt appears to be yellow plastic or rubber. I suspect the buckle is harder if you try to push it with a fingernail. If so, it may be that just the buckle is of the material that would start this reaction. If they had painted the back of it, perhaps that would have created this buffer you're talking about... The theory may be supported by Rory's figures having the oil on the buckle and around the buckle only.

beltsp.jpg

Last edited:

It was acrylic. It took about..oh, 3 months or so for the leaking to stop, so maybe the suit just dried itself out.

Quite the opposite mate, I love this figure. It's been a grail to me. I have tried to be balanced and level headed about the whole thing. I actually ordered another body separately, I'm willing to see how things go, I guess a lot of people are freaking because this is exactly what happened with the DX02 only this time it seems to be happening (at least to some) a lot earlier.

I figures as much seeing how all of your post about the oil were informative as opposed to be pure angered bashing. I really hope you have luck with stopping the leakage or returning them for better versions

It seems like the buckle is different from the rest of the belt. If you look at these photos from Rory and Mag, the buckle has yellow paint applied, where the rest of the belt appears to be yellow plastic or rubber. I suspect the buckle is harder if you try to push it with a fingernail. If so, it may be that just the buckle is of the material that would start this reaction. If they had painted the back of it, perhaps that would have created this buffer you're talking about... The theory may be supported by Rory's figures having the oil on the buckle and around the buckle only.

beltsp.jpg

The buckle would have to be a harder material for the peg closure system to work. Hopefully adding a coat of something will solve the problem.

So why is removal of the tape over the magnet necessary? or is it?

Would nail polish varnish or whatever its called work? I don't have anything to cover the back of the belt but I know my fiance must have that clear nail polish. You'd think if its safe for your finger it would be safe for the rubber.

What kind of varnish are you guys using? Are certain brands favored over others?

Edit - I just saw that WG asked. :wave

Edit - And I hate that I have to ask. :mad:

So why is removal of the tape over the magnet necessary? or is it?

Would nail polish varnish or whatever its called work? I don't have anything to cover the back of the belt but I know my fiance must have that clear nail polish. You'd think if its safe for your finger it would be safe for the rubber.

cause maybe the glue they use for the magnet is cheap too, and can cause some reaction on the rubber...

AND PLEEESE DON'T USE NAIL POLISH VARNISH. all the nail paints and varnish are oleophilic, and ACETONE based, so they are a very POWERFULL plastic melter. there are some that are more powerfull (cheaper) than others, but in this case I hardly recommend not to use them.
and maybe it's just that part of the belt... but just in case I'll cover all the belt, and maybe the cowl on the inside, so I issolate the diferent materials from the rubber.
I use Vallejo or model color matte varnish (acrylic).
Also the acrylic varnish is more flexible.

any way, any varnish should do the trick, but make shure it's not enamel or acetone based.

I hope these clowns will get it right when they release the Returns figures.

I have some thin foam rubber sheets from a craft store that I have been using for custom 1/6 Superman belts. They are very thin and are adhesive backed. I wonder if they would help alleviate this problem if attached to the back of the belt and trimmed to size?

Back