Dune Part Two (October 20th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the reason Leto never took a wife was because no matter who he chose, the other Houses would take that as a slight. It would make him enemies. As long as he was unmarried, they had hope.

I'll put my response in Spoiler Tags, as I might start to veer off too far from the films...

Spoiler Spoiler:

lol

1710824154437.png

If that's the case, I can't see how Villeneuve can possibility be true to the source material and still make the new direction for Chani work?

Lovers of the books might be really annoyed at the next one :(

If that's the case, I can't see how Villeneuve can possibility be true to the source material and still make the new direction for Chani work?

Lovers of the books might be really annoyed at the next one :(
Eh, she just has to come around. :lol
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
I haven't read the books and never been able to get through the Lynch movie. So perhaps this just isn't my kind of scifi.

I'm a massive fan of Denis's Arrival and BR2049 and love his visual style, but for some reason this one just isn't working as well for me.
Maybe you (and others) might give it a third swing, before calling it out.

I'm talking about the 2000 scifi Dune TV series:
If you can get past the terrible vfx, and just accept it as more of a stage play, with literal curtain backdrops, bad lighting filters, and 90s level CG as part of the look of that universe.
Ignore that for some reason, production surrendered more money, power and leeway to a crazy, out-of-control costume and hat designer.
The fact that some actors change half way through.
Definitely put on subtitles, to work past some of the heavy mumbles, unusual accents and some flat delivery.
Recognize Paul (see Luke) is meant to be young naive and somewhat brooding at first, yet that is what makes his transform more significant.
Then it's actually not a bad series, and gets even better as they get into Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, Which you will have to wait years for on film, yet go a long way to make it a cohesive arc.

It does a much better job reconciling the dense political, theological and metaphysical themes, connections and importance of Spice, the Guild Navigators (left out of the film), their ability to fold space-time, the intricate machinations of who get to control it, and Paul's prescience (and struggle with it), all essential to the drama.
As much as it's superficially panned for it's look, or sadly ignored, more people should give the mini-series a shot.

Both the TV series and Films showcase different aspects and types of experiences, it doesn't have to be one or the other. The overblown yet visceral films (which I enjoyed, and some will loath I dared to mention in the same breath) also made me appreciate all the things the Dune mini series actually got right. :wink1:

Last edited:
Yeah I just watched the 2009 mini-series too and it’s a pretty good adaptation, although the costumes can be a little flamboyant shall we say.
Ian McNeice as Baron Harkonnen is superb, and this is the one time that all the CGI looks like a video game moaners are absolutely correct!
It’s closest to the books though and well worth a watch, I’ve just bought Children Of Dune on Blu-Ray on the strength of the first series.
So the series is the most faithful, Villenuive’s the cliff-notes / most commercial and Lynch’s is the gonzo surrealist psychedelic fever dream.

While I respect the miniseries being more faithful I wouldn’t trade ONE SECOND of the visceral experience from an Imax or Dolby screening of Dune 2 for the faithful miniseries adaptation that looks like a Dr Who episode with goofy costumes and goofy fights, just not happening.

My life long love of films all emanate from theatrical experiences on opening night and not from lame looking faithful adaptations of novels on TV.

Even high quality miniseries like GOT and House of the Dragon can’t replace my very memorable life long cinematic experiences since childhood.

No faithful tv miniseries no matter how spectacular will ever replace the cinematic experiences from this list:

ANH
Close Encounters
Smokey and the Bandit
James Bond starting with the Spy Who Loved Me 1977.
Superman 1
Every Which Way But Loose
ESB
ROTJ
Raiders
Temple of Doom
Superman 2
Road Warrior
Aliens
Die Hard 1-3
Robocop 1
CTB
Predator 1
T1
Top Gun 1
Rocky 2-6
Star Trek 1-4
First Blood
Rambo 2-3
Commando
Airplane 1
History of the World Part 1
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Police Academy 1
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
BTTF 1
Friday the 13th 1
The Thing
Day of the Dead Romero
American Werewolf in London
Caddyshack
PeeWee Big Adventure
Ghostbusters 1
Gremlins 1
Karate Kid 1
Blade Runner
Batman 89
Total Recall
Home Alone 1
Hunt for Red October
T2
Jurassic Park
True Lies
Speed 1
Heat
Blade
Braveheart
The PT
The Matrix 1-3
LOTR 1-3
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Saving Private Ryan
MCU
The Batman
Godzilla Minus One
Dune 2

Yeah no.

Last edited:
Gosh Jye, nobody is saying you should, and your description of the Dune mini-series is pretty apt.
It is kind of like classic Doctor Who, very theatrical with low budget not so special effects.
And that’s an impressive list there, I’d love to see The Thing at the cinema, and I missed Godzilla minus 1 🥺

Gosh Jye, nobody is saying you should, and your description of the Dune mini-series is pretty apt.
It is kind of like classic Doctor Who, very theatrical with low budget not so special effects.
And that’s an impressive list there, I’d love to see The Thing at the cinema, and I missed Godzilla minus 1 🥺
I vividly remember walking out ot The Thing being blown away and then waking up to the harsh fact that the movie was critically hated and then a financial bomb because it had the unfortunate luck of being released just 1 week after ET! :slap

Now, it’s a respected masterpiece lol

I loved Dune Part 2, even though it takes some amazing liberties with the source material. I think DV took a page from Jackson's adaptation of LOTR and made his own Dune.
This is Denis Villeneuve's Dune.

As for the TV series, I tried watching it, but the production was simply too bad for me to sit through.

I've watched this thing about 8 or 9 times now and I have to say, the more I watch it, the more I can't forgive some painfully obvious issues. The bits that I like, I really like, but the issues are grating and pull me out of the film every time.

There are two monumentally bad and abrupt segues (which I've never seen in one of Denis films before), and the Chani character just becomes an unmitigated mess, and thus, annoying. There's absolutely no consistency to her behavior whatsoever. It changes from scene to scene and even in the middle of scenes. It's like the wind changes directions and she's off on a different tangent. Baffling.

I'm guessing because they changed her so dramatically from the books, they didn't really know how to best handle her. She can be conflicted about what's going on, but the execution here is really messy.

Back