Dub-Ya: The Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to disagree that Stone is overhyped any more than any other director. He's received his fair share of bad reviews. Alexander was almost universally panned. But his films can be very powerful in an artistic way and he's received positive reviews for that aspect of his filmmaking.

As for using his films in a history class - I've never seen that, but if the teacher uses them to show how "history" is open to interpretation then I can see them being a valuable tool.

Let's keep this thread away from politics as much as possible, please.

I would have to disagree that Stone is overhyped any more than any other director. He's received his fair share of bad reviews. Alexander was almost universally panned. But his films can be very powerful in an artistic way and he's received positive reviews for that aspect of his filmmaking.

As for using his films in a history class - I've never seen that, but if the teacher uses them to show how "history" is open to interpretation then I can see them being a valuable tool.

Let's keep this thread away from politics as much as possible, please.

I should clarify that I when I say I think Stone is a bit overhyped, I don't mean that he's necessarily overrated. I just think the amount of hype (good or bad) surrounding the man and his films is not always warranted. When World Trade Center was coming out for instance, it had a reputation before it even hit release simply because it was an Oliver Stone movie. Everyone expected it to have some kind of controversial or conspiracy-theory slant, when it really wasn't that kind of film at all. You're right about most directors having similar baggage, but I think the media takes particular delight in overhyping a film/director that may involve any hint of controversy such as Stone.

Yes, it was worse. The major exceptions are gas prices and the housing market/mortgage crash, the latter of which is a result of things that started about 15 years ago.

It's expedient to blame everything on Bush. And, truth be told, he's done a lot of crappy things and made many mistakes and bad decisions. I would call his Presidency a bad one, definitely. But I think people are too quick to shape things based on their own personal political leanings... lead of course by the American media. The image you quoted is a perfect example.

The fact that many folks are running around saying "we're in a recession" when they don't even know what a recession is... that's pretty telling.

call it what you wish, times for many are bad and getting worse. unemployment rates the worse since the great depression, gas prices highest ever, housing market in the crapper...i guess w, cheney and condi are victims of circumstance.

:stooge

I should clarify that I when I say I think Stone is a bit overhyped, I don't mean that he's necessarily overrated. I just think the amount of hype (good or bad) surrounding the man and his films is not always warranted. When World Trade Center was coming out for instance, it had a reputation before it even hit release simply because it was an Oliver Stone movie. Everyone expected it to have some kind of controversial or conspiracy-theory slant, when it really wasn't that kind of film at all. You're right about most directors having similar baggage, but I think the media takes particular delight in overhyping a film/director that may involve any hint of controversy such as Stone.

I would agree that some people do attach a certain stigma to a film just because Stone is the director. The only other director that occurs with is Michael Moore. People make assumptions about the film because of who directed it. Moore definitely has an agenda with each film, but Stone's films aren't always social or political commentary.

It was wonderful. I really enjoyed the part where Jesus was handing out Aquafina.:monkey1

I should remind you that WTC was based on the story of three real people and one of them, Will Jimeno who was an adviser on the WTC film said in the commentary track, that he did in fact have that vision of Jesus handing him a bottle of water while trapped under rubble.

I should remind you that WTC was based on the story of three real people and one of them, Will Jimeno who was an adviser on the WTC film said in the commentary track, that he did in fact have that vision of Jesus handing him a bottle of water while trapped under rubble.

Thanks for the reminder, but I know the story.

call it what you wish, times for many are bad and getting worse. unemployment rates the worse since the great depression, gas prices highest ever, housing market in the crapper...i guess w, cheney and condi are victims of circumstance.

Irish is right. The housing problems didn't occur during the Bush reign, but the blame belongs to the previous administration. The getting rid of the Glass-Steagall Act was the one of the major causes of the fall of the housing market. Things aren't that black and white.

Irish is right. The housing problems didn't occur during the Bush reign, but the blame belongs to the previous administration. The getting rid of the Glass-Steagall Act was the one of the major causes of the fall of the housing market. Things aren't that black and white.

what has the bush administration done to correct this known screwup of the past administration and why is the housing problem getting worse? bush has been in office for almost 7.5 years. isn't this administration sensitive to how vital the housing market is to the economy?

maybe he should take care of business at home instead of policing the rest of the world and pumping billions after billions into his war on terror in the middle-east. all the while preaching how important it is to rid the world of terror to have a safer home, for those of us that still have one to come home to that is. how many foreclosures this past year? a record number 1.3 million in 2007, up 79 percent from 2006. yup, bush is again a victim of someone else's blunder. is this guy ever responsible for anything? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: no according to his fanboys, but those are getting few and far between. worse approval rating of any president ever. hmmmm. seems things aren't black or white, just charcoal gray.

tylerd, do you believe half he stuff you type? this is not true...VERY far from it.

what has the bush administration done to correct this known screwup of the past administration and why is the housing problem getting worse? bush has been in office for almost 7.5 years. isn't this administration sensitive to how vital the housing market is to the economy?

maybe he should take care of business at home instead of policing the rest of the world and pumping billions after billions into his war on terror in the middle-east. all the while preaching how important it is to rid the world of terror to have a safer home, for those of us that still have one to come home to that is. how many foreclosures this past year? a record number 1.3 million in 2007, up 79 percent from 2006. yup, bush is again a victim of someone else's blunder. is this guy ever responsible for anything? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: no according to his fanboys, but those are getting few and far between. worse approval rating of any president ever. hmmmm. seems things aren't black or white, just charcoal gray.

Bush didn't do anything to correct it. That was him mistake, but if he did, the media would have labeled him a racist. Again, this aren't black and white. There isn't a good answer. Should Bush have reinstated Glass-Steagall? YES, he should have done it. But, Clinton shouldn't have done away with it in the first place. People bought things they couldn't afford. Personally, I don't think the government should bail them out. We haven't had a good president since the 80s. I am not a Clinton or a Bush fan as you can tell. Personally, none of the potential candidates are any good. I am going independent this year.

what caused the housing problem...if you want to call it that? greed. people either selling their house and making money and trying to buy/flip houses, and other people being suckered into taking interest only loans or variable rate loans they could barely afford when rates were ridiculously low. if someone is having a housing problem they need to look in the mirror, it's not up to the government to take care of the housing industry, republican or democrat.

what caused the housing problem...if you want to call it that? greed. people either selling their house and making money and trying to buy/flip houses, and other people being suckered into taking interest only loans or variable rate loans they could barely afford when rates were ridiculously low. if someone is having a housing problem they need to look in the mirror, it's not up to the government to take care of the housing industry, republican or democrat.

I totally agree with you.

tylerd, do you believe half he stuff you type? this is not true...VERY far from it.

i misread that statistic. it said during the reagan administration, the unemployment rate rose to over 10%. and that unemployment rates are based on unemployment claims made. today the statistic is inaccurate because a lot of the working force dosen't have the luxury to make a claim because they haven't been at their job long enough or their employer isn't a full compliant taxpayer. add the illegal immigrants working in this country (at least 3 million), not paying federal taxes and taking away jobs that should go to americans and that statistic is fully inaccurate. it is 'estimated' that the unemployment rate is equal to the great depression, percentage wise, in actual numbers of people out of work. didn't bush help to pass legislation to allow these illegal non-residents to even collect benefits from the u.s. government?

house values skyrocketed all over the nation, which allowed government to reap the benefits of increased property taxes. the result was there was a small window of opportunity to sell your house to maximize profit, so many attempted to. we are a capitalistic society, no? some made a killing, but many didn't. give the baby candy and he's happy, now take that candy away and the kid cries, or get foreclosed on when he can't pay the inflated mortgage or his taxes. isn't it the governments job to regulate growth, as not to grow too fast, to prevent something like this from happening? the only losers were the people, as usual. there's no one capable at the helm to guide the ship, what do you expect?

house values skyrocketed all over the nation, which allowed government to reap the benefits of increased property taxes. the result was there was a small window of opportunity to sell your house to maximize profit, so many attempted to. we are a capitalistic society, no? some made a killing, but many didn't. give the baby candy and he's happy, now take that candy away and the kid cries, or get foreclosed on when he can't pay the inflated mortgage or his taxes. isn't it the governments job to regulate growth, as not to grow too fast, to prevent something like this from happening? the only losers were the people, as usual. there's no one capable at the helm to guide the ship, what do you expect?

Do you really believe all of this? With all of these grassy-knoll theories you keep spouting, I believe you do. You should pick up last month's issue of Kiplinger's magazine and read about how the housing crisis came about. It came about because the government wanted to lower interest rates so that lower income individuals with less than stellar credit could buy homes. What this amounted to was investment banks coming in and pressuring banks to allow loans to people who could not afford the loan. All of this was made possible by Clinton repealing the Glass-Steagall act. Its not some government conspiracy to hike up property taxes, but to make housing affordable to all. The rest is history. There is no government conspiracy like you think. Yes, Bush should have reinstated Glass-Steagall but then again it wasn't that simple either. He would have been labelled a racist and yes the mortgage industry was propping up a slowing economy (during the dot-com market crash era.) Reinstating it could have caused the economy to implode much sooner. All of this was predicted in the early 2000s by many economists, but their warnings were largely ignored. In the end, it was good old american greed that caused all of this to happen. If people would have bought within their budget and been half-way smart about their money, none of this would have happened in the first place even without Glass-Steagall. If you want to place blame, place blame on the greedy investment banks that allowed of this to happen by lending out money that they knew couldn't be payed back by the majority of the borrowers.

Last edited:
<object width="450" height="358"><param name="movie" value="https://www.traileraddict.com/emb/6081"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.traileraddict.com/emb/6081" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="358" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Brolin's performance so far....

Back