Drop the mud weathering on the Cobra Viper please!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its right there in that youtube link.

No, hes not the NECA troll boy. Unrelated event about some crap about a saw doll.

Just for the record I am the one who told him "no one cares"...:yess:

Ah I got ya. Thank ya for the clarification my good sir.

I understand that Sideshow may have been trying something 'new' with weathering on the Viper, but I consistency is really important for most fans. The easiest solution is to provide two sets of boots, but then they would have to get rid of the weathering on the pants as well and I don't see that happening.

The weathering on the pants isn't nearly as pronounced, though. I could probably live with that as long as the boots were clean, though I'd prefer it if everything was clean. If someone wants a dirty Viper they can weather it themselves.

If someone wants a dirty Viper they can weather it themselves.

Seen people say the same thing about the Clones. I can't agree with this at all. Most of us don't have the talent to make it look good and I know for me personally I would always be pissed at myself for how it came out. I'd rather SS do it and make it look good and roll with it that way. As I said maybe tone down what they showed a bit or send two pairs of boots. I actually prefer a bit of weathering on my figures to make it look as if they've done something.

Seen people say the same thing about the Clones. I can't agree with this at all. Most of us don't have the talent to make it look good and I know for me personally I would always be pissed at myself for how it came out. I'd rather SS do it and make it look good and roll with it that way. As I said maybe tone down what they showed a bit or send two pairs of boots. I actually prefer a bit of weathering on my figures to make it look as if they've done something.

I disagree. All it would take is a little dry brushing. Very little talent required.

Now, that said, I do have some experience painting, and in fact majored in fine art at university, so I am probably more confident than most in stating this, but it would be pretty easy to do. You wouldn't even really need to practice on other figures - just some scrap plastic or something.

You're right though - the best option would be two sets of boots, and honestly, at the price they're selling this at, it shouldn't be too much to ask for. However, if that's not an option, I would rather see them clean it up quite a bit.

As for the Clones, it's not really a fair comparison. In the films, they almost always had weathered armour, so it makes sense to release them that way. Ditto Sandtroopers. And the Clones would have been a bit more difficult to weather accurately, as their armour had a pretty distinct paint chipping effect that would be hard to duplicate...

Perhaps a better analogy would be the regular Stormtrooper - weathering would have been inappropriate because they were never shown as such in the films, although they certainly got dirty from time to time on other planets and battlefields we didn't see in the movies. Admittedly, GI Joe is a different beast - probably the main reason we haven't seen weathered Vipers is because they were featured as action figures, cartoon and comic book characters - but the point is, we still haven't really seen them all dirtied up like this before, so "realistic" or not, it looks off.

Last edited:
Or like Hot Toys maybe?

Would anyone really care if they did a re-released "battle-damaged" version later on? I'd probably get it.

I disagree. All it would take is a little dry brushing. Very little talent required.

Now, that said, I do have some experience painting, and in fact majored in fine art at university, so I am probably more confident than most in stating this, but it would be pretty easy to do. You wouldn't even really need to practice on other figures - just some scrap plastic or something.

Well, I wouldn't want to risk it myself and I don't have the talent I think required to make it look good enough for my picky ass. I prefer my figures to come that way especially after having to deal with how things went down with Josh on a couple custom pieces. That way they come to my door looking great and I don't have to risk it on myself or having someone else do it.

You're right though - the best option would be two sets of boots, and honestly, at the price they're selling this at, it shouldn't be too much to ask for. However, if that's not an option, I would rather see them clean it up quite a bit.

Hopefully they do two sets that way everyone can be happy. Though, I admit it if they sent it all clean I'd like the figure as much but I do prefer a weathered look to all clean.

Admittedly, GI Joe is a different beast - probably the main reason we haven't seen weathered Vipers is because they were featured as action figures, cartoon and comic book characters - but the point is, we still haven't really seen them all dirtied up like this before, so "realistic" or not, it looks off.

I'm sure only seeing them as clean cartoon figures or action figures would take some time getting used to.

I'm fine with dings and scratches and basic battle damage "weathering".

Mud is over the top however. Paint hardly ever looks like mud.

Back