Drew Struzan documentary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan Rex

Super Freak
Reaction score
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVfIc7aCtA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
https://drewstruzandocumentary.com/
New Trailer for Drew: The Man Behind the Poster
Drew Struzan documentary is bound for Comic-Con.
July 3, 2013
by Max Nicholson
Kino Lorber has acquired the U.S. rights to Drew: The Man Behind the Poster, a new documentary centered on Drew Sruzan, the legendary artist behind iconic one-sheets for movies such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Back to the Future.
THR*reports that the*movie will premiere at San Diego Comic-Con at the Gaslamp 15. From there, it will open in New York on August 16 at the Cinema Village, and then Kino Lorber will present a theatrical release, followed by a home video and VOD release in the Fall.

That's on the must see list. Love his work, films are poorer for the lack of original poster artwork.

That's on the must see list. Love his work, films are poorer for the lack of original poster artwork.

Not sure how anything by Struzan of the past 15 years could be considered original. He became a copy of himself. I cringe when I see his stuff for Harry Potter, the SW Prequels, the SW DVD releases, LOTR, etc. So boring.
....That said, his older stuff before he fixated on floating heads was awesome.

How so?
The styles aren't similar at all.
Richard Amsel was much closer in style and technique.

Amsel yes is closer. I meant to say rather was the new Peak although when I look at a Drew poster from a distance(At least for me)It does remind me of Peak and those days. My favorite Peak poster was Excalibur. He did so many. My fave Amsel was the Shootist. I do even think of Alvin too. The greats just pop up I guess. At one time or another I remember when the poster alone got you to see a film. Now that would almost never happen.

Last edited:
Not sure how anything by Struzan of the past 15 years could be considered original. He became a copy of himself. I cringe when I see his stuff for Harry Potter, the SW Prequels, the SW DVD releases, LOTR, etc. So boring.

I like em because it is still a movie poster reminding me of the older days. They focus on the characters themselves. I do like Jerry Vandersteldts works more which has more of a mix of heads, full torsos and other elements in the film such as the hobbit/ LOTR posters he did even though they were not official movie posters

Completely disagree.
Drew has only gotten better and come into his own.
Early in his career he was heavily influenced by J.C. Lyendecker but over the years got away from that look entirely.
The "floating head" syndrome might be the only way he has of giving Art directors and studio execs what they want.
Namely multiple million dollar salary stars on a poster that might appeal to a certain demographic. It's not art, it's targeted marketing.
I'm sure agents will ***** and moan if their client isn't taking up as much poster real estate as the other stars.
That starts to cut onto any artistic license Drew has left.
Google Drews Universal Monster Mondo portraits he recently did.
Seven gorgeous illustrations that shows his prowess when off the leash. His Walking Dead and Being Human posters also buck the floating head syndrome imo.

Completely disagree.
Drew has only gotten better and come into his own.
Early in his career he was heavily influenced by J.C. Lyendecker but over the years got away from that look entirely.
The "floating head" syndrome might be the only way he has of giving Art directors and studio execs what they want.
Namely multiple million dollar salary stars on a poster that might appeal to a certain demographic. It's not art, it's targeted marketing.
I'm sure agents will ***** and moan if their client isn't taking up as much poster real estate as the other stars.
That starts to cut onto any artistic license Drew has left.
Google Drews Universal Monster Mondo portraits he recently did.
Seven gorgeous illustrations that shows his prowess when off the leash. His Walking Dead and Being Human posters also buck the floating head syndrome imo.

He probably is on a leash to some degree, but his work has his name on it so that's what I'm judging. I hate the actor focused work. I want to see Frodo more so than Elijah Wood in a piece. I know that sounds weird, as they are sort of one and the same, but at the same time, I don't think you need to sell the actor to sell the character.

I think its up to the artist to offer something more original to his customers even if it might not be what they want at first. If New Line came over and said "Drew, we really really want you to copy what you did for the Phantom Menance here for Fellowship of the Ring" he should have told them to **** off.

Back