Don Cheadle replaces Howard in "Iron Man" sequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What?

Anyway, I don't believe Howard is lying about his contract, but whatever is going on he and Marvel better kiss and make nice before IM2 production kicks off.

Not Stan Winston's studio...whatever its called now...ADI....different company. Good...but not AS good.

Not Stan Winston's studio...whatever its called now...ADI....different company. Good...but not AS good.

I think you misread that post. He mentioned Adi Granov, a popular comics artist known for his Iron Man designs. I didn't see any mention of ADI, the SFX studio.

From my understanding it's a done deal plasmid. Don Cheadle has already signed the dotted line.

That's fine, but who knows what may happen in the time before IM2 starts production. *crosses fingers*

Like I said.. some part is still missing from this story that would make it understandable. The way TH put it.. it was news to even HIM when he saw Don Cheadle was replacing him. Just to me, and this is pure speculation, but when you're replaced without even knowing about it, that means your former employer didn't much like you. Or it could be as simple as the studio wanting a higher profile actor to step in. Don Cheadle has much more acclaim and "star" power than Terrance Howard. So it could be just as simple as that. But some important part of the story isn't being told imo.

That's why I said they should kiss and make up, the nature of the recast matters not. It's not some big mystery that needs solving.

Cheadle has signed, Howard is out not to mention I have a feeling it'd take a lot to get Howard back as he sounds as if he was seriously offended by whatever went on behind closed doors.

Either way I guess the studio figured in a few years when someone asked who was that black guy who played in Iron Man people will say Don Cheadle even though it was Terrance Howard so to them it doesn't make a difference who plays the black guy :D:lol:rotfl

Why Did Marvel Recast Rhodes in Iron Man 2?
Source:Entertainment Weekly November 1, 2008

Why did Marvel Studios recast Col. Jim Rhodes in Iron Man 2? The surprise announcement that Don Cheadle was taking over the role from Terrence Howard in the sequel (and now The Avengers) left many fans wondering what happened. Entertainment Weekly has an article possibly explaining how this came to be:

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')

You can read the full article here.

Well, I'm disappointed to hear that. I actually thought Howard was a cool, laid back type of guy. I still liked his performance in IM, but it's weird to think that it could have just been the result of countless reshoots.

Love Cheadle. Glad to see Howard is off the ticket. He is too whiney for me.

Entertainment Weekly has another update to the ongoing debate on why Terrence Howard was cut out of Iron Man 2 (he wouldn't take a pay cut and wasn't that good at acting, apparently):

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')
As such, when Favreau and screenwriter Justin Theroux went to map out the sequel they found themselves minimizing Howard's story line. Once Marvel learned that Favreau was thinking of curtailing the role, the studio went to the actor's agents with a new and drastically reduced offer — a number that's similar to what supporting cast members were paid for the first movie. The agents, according to sources, were so taken aback by this new figure — estimated at somewhere between a 50 and 80 percent pay cut — that they questioned it. Why did they blanch? Multiple sources say that Marvel execs never told Howard's reps that they had issues with the star's on-set conduct. (Marvel would not comment for this story.)

So much drama. Who's at fault here? Should Terrence Howard have taken less pay and done a better job acting? Should Marvel have at least told him before they recast his role? If I'm having a party, should I invite them both and risk them getting into an awkward argument when Marvel shows up with Don Cheadle? Is it possible Marvel found out that Terrence Howard is a skeleton wearing a magical flesh suit to blend in with the general population until he can ready his skeleton army? These are the questions we must answer before Iron Man 2 comes out.

Robert Downey Jr. on Cheadle/Howard Switch
Following up on the Terrence Howard / Don Cheadle switcharoo for the upcoming Iron Man 2 film, MTV was able to sit down with Tony Starks, Robert Downey Jr., himself to discuss his feelings on the topic.

When asked if he had anything to do with the Howard/Cheadle switch, Downey immediately responded, “I had nothing to do with that decision. I love Terrence very very much. That’s all I’ll say because I haven’t talked to him yet.”

Furthermore, the “Iron Man” star makes it clear that he will not play favorites between the two equally talented actors, so if you’re looking for a juicy “good riddance” quote from Downey (who’s definitely not shy when it comes to speaking his mind), you won’t find it here.

“I’ve always admired Don [Cheadle],” said Downey. “It’s one of those situations where I still don’t quite know what happened or why. Here’s what happens too: things happen and you wind up commenting on them before you’ve actually talked to the people and it’s in poor taste.”

Sounds like Robert isn't going to take sides, and is interested in protecting his burgeoning franchise. He adds…

“I think the important thing with the ‘Iron Man’ franchise is to not do too much too soon and to make sure we don’t piss off the public that put us in the position we’re in,” said Downey. “We’ve just got to keep rolling up our sleeves higher and further up the elbow. If we show up and we’re in the right head space and our heart’s in the right spot and we really think about the audience at every turn and we don’t try to stamp our hipness onto anything. It’s very interactive.”

when you're replaced without even knowing about it, that means your former employer didn't much like you.

EW said:
It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes.

That's what I was thinking. I had a feeling SOMETHING important was missing and not being said initially that was preventing this situation from making sense. Now for me atleast, it makes sense.

I rather liked Terrence Howard's performance in "Iron Man". He played it cool when most actors would have played the role with a cliched fake machismo. I don't know if that was his decision, though, or the director's.

I am almost completely ignorant of Don Cheadle's work so my only complaint with his casting in the sequel is that he wasn't in the first film to begin with. The actors, unlike Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal, don't look much at all like each other.

I think audience adjustment is doable, as long as Cheadle can win them over with his performance, but the film may need one of Stark's trademark quips to introduce Cheadle (replacing Howard) as Rhodes. Something like:

Tony Stark: "You get a hair cut? You look different."

Posted: March 09, 2009, 2:07 PM by Ben Kaplan
economy, Robert Downey Jr, mickey rourke, Iron man
According to a report in Variety, Mickey Rourke may be tapped to play either Crimson Dynamo or Whiplash in a new Iron Man film. The franchise, already a landing spot for talented Hollywood miscreants like Robert Downey, Jr., would certainly get a shot in the arm from the very in-demand Oscar-nominated star of The Wrestler.

The film has already been besieged with problems, with Terrence Howard dropping out, and reports have flared-up that Rourke was offered $250,000, barely enough to buy booties for his beloved dogs. Of course, there's a recession and everyone is feeling the pinch. But a franchise that earned $135-million in revenue, could surely cough up a bit more green for an actor currently enjoying a worldwide love fest.

We'd love to see Rourke battle Robert Downey, Jr. in the new film. They both survived dangerous dalliances with alcohol and drugs. Lets see how they cope with the Hollywood downturn.
https://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/03/09/249690.aspx

just came across this and thought you might be interested. sorry if it has been previously posted

Back