Don Cheadle replaces Howard in "Iron Man" sequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know 1990's Iron Man lore. So War Machine is a villain? If so, then yikes. Comic book movies DEMAND to have powerhouse bad guys. Hackman as Luthor, McKellen as Magneto, Nicholson and Ledger as the Joker, Dafoe as the Green Goblin, and Molina as Doc Ock. Howard has never had a lot of screen presence. Likewise for Cheadle. One of the reasons I think IM just couldn't measure up to TDK was because Bridges just wasn't a very memorable villain. I was hoping they'd rectify that with IM2. Oh well. It isn't a lost cause of course since we've been surprised before but at this stage I think Cheadle is a poor choice.

They needed to find a Denzel in "Training Day" mode. Too bad.

Yes, sometimes its better to pick a less proficient actor who's the appropriate type. Its obviously a tricky balance but right now I think that Cheadle, while a great actor, just isn't right. Maybe they'll present the character in a way that makes him seem like a perfect fit, we'll just have to see.

I'm glad that for characters like Luke Skywalker, Indiana Jones, the Terminator, Frodo Baggins, the T-1000, Corporal Hicks, John McClane, and many others that they didn't simply get the person with the best "acting ability."

Allow me to bring up the "Many didn't think fondly of Heath Ledger as Joker" case, circa 2006.

Cheadle too small? Weight-lifting and platform shoes. Cheadle looks too old? Makeup and hair-dye. I feel like smacking a dead horse here, but Marvel did originally want Cheadle as Rhodes.

Cheadle too small? Weight-lifting and platform shoes. Cheadle looks too old? Makeup and hair-dye. I feel like smacking a dead horse here, but Marvel did originally want Cheadle as Rhodes.

Not to mention the WAR MACHINE he will be encased in.
:D

Allow me to bring up the "Many didn't think fondly of Heath Ledger as Joker" case, circa 2006.

I never had a problem with the Ledger announcement. Honestly I'm not sure there were many who did. Nevertheless I think its a bit of a canned response to mention one casting choice that may have surprised people that doesn't apply to every questionable pick from here on out.

Usually when a seemingly poor choice is made, it turns out to indeed be true. Every member of the Fantastic Four movies, from heroes to villains, sucked when they were announced and sucked even worse when the films came out.

I think most of us have a "wait and see" mentality due to the strength of the first film, its just far from an exciting announcement.

War Machine wasn't a villian. He filled in for Iron Man for a while and then became a seperate hero on his own.

Even though recasts suck, I say "bravo" to Marvel for not allowing themselves to be highjacked by overpayed, spoiled actors. I hope this serves as a lesson to other entertainers that their asses can be replaced in a heartbeat if they try to play hardball with Marvel Studios.

Usually when a seemingly poor choice is made, it turns out to indeed be true. Every member of the Fantastic Four movies, from heroes to villains, sucked when they were announced and sucked even worse when the films came out.

I think most of us have a "wait and see" mentality due to the strength of the first film, its just far from an exciting announcement.

Yes, but Cheadle is far from a poor choice, and IM 2 isn't looked upon with disdain like the Fantastic Four movies were, even at the outset.

It just seemed that the complaints about Cheadle not looking the part was similar to comments about Ledger not being a fit for Joker (and of course there were those comparisons to the Nicholson Joker, even though the Nolan and Burton films aren't connected in continuity). My response was to those who claimed Cheadle too small for the role or not the type. Wait and see? Not without that extra disapproving comment thrown in.

Even though recasts suck, I say "bravo" to Marvel for not allowing themselves to be highjacked by overpayed, spoiled actors. I hope this serves as a lesson to other entertainers that their asses can be replaced in a heartbeat if they try to play hardball with Marvel Studios.

It's not that simple. It's not hard to assume, from the rumors and comments made by Marvel, that War Machine and Rhodes will have a significantly larger role in IM 2 (as a potential rivel/villain), so why is it not okay for an actor to want more pay for the increased work they'll be doing? I'm not going to judge on way or the other, mainly because the exact numbers and details haven't been divulged. Heck, it may just be another case of "greedy actor wants more," but we don't know the specifics.

It's not that simple. It's not hard to assume, from the rumors and comments made by Marvel, that War Machine and Rhodes will have a significantly larger role in IM 2 (as a potential rivel/villain), so why is it not okay for an actor to want more pay for the increased work they'll be doing? I'm not going to judge on way or the other, mainly because the exact numbers and details haven't been divulged. Heck, it may just be another case of "greedy actor wants more," but we don't know the specifics.

It might have been his agent that talked him into holding out... "C'mon man, we can squeeze more cash out of Marvel!" Howard probably fired him after learning he got replaced. :rotfl

$$$

Doesn't matter how successful a franchise is, if you ain't getting any dough there's no point in sticking around to help other people get rich off your efforts.

Maybe, but I doubt I make in several years what he was offered to make a movie.

Maybe, but I doubt I make in several years what he was offered to make a movie.

That's because you're looking at it in the wrong context. Everyone does that when criticizing actors, etc. because you're looking at THEIR money and putting it in the context of what YOU make and how YOU live. That's wrong.

You have to remember: The more money you make the more expensive your lifestyle becomes. No one makes millions of dollars and still lives in an apartment making monthly payments on a 5+ yr. old car, etc. Unless they're ass clowns.
When you make money.. you buy more stuff. Expensive stuff. Your cost of living jumps.

Look at it like this: let's say you get a job with an upstart company and you agree to make like 40,000 a year. But after 1 year the company blows up, and now you see all the people who started the same time as you, that do the same job that you do are now making 5 - 10 times as much as you. And management/upper management is making even more. Then your supervisor informs you that the company wants to make you Shift Lead, except they either wanna pay you exactly what you're currently making to do this new job with more responsibility or even with the amount of money they're willing to raise your pay by you'll STILL be making less than everyone else who's doing less.

Are you seriously telling me you'd be cool with that!? That you wouldn't ask for more money!?

The only thing I wanted from the HT IM license was a Terence Howard in War Machine armour. *cries*

On the bright side you'll be able to get this:

cheadlemanyt1.jpg

Plus all the War Machine Mods of course.

:joy

Terrence Howard Speaks Out on Rhodey Recast
Source: NPR, CHUD October 18, 2008

Actor Terrence Howard appeared in the NPR studio to talk about his debut album "Shine Through It" with Scott Simon for the Weekend Edition. Of course, Simon had to ask him about the recent news that Don Cheadle would be replacing him as James "Rhodey" Rhodes in the upcoming Marvel Studios sequel Iron Man 2.

That news (which has yet to be confirmed by Marvel Studios, who remains as mum as usual) took many fans of the summer's blockbuster hit by surprise since Howard played a large role in many fans' love for the movie, and just as many were excited to see Howard step into the iron suit of War Machine. After the announcement a few days ago, speculation ran rampant about why Howard wouldn't return, but on Simon's radio show, Howard said that he found out about the news the same way the rest of us did.

"It was the surprise of a lifetime," he said. "There was no explanation. [The contract] just...up and vanished. I read something in the trades implicating that it was about money or something, but apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on, sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."

You can hear the entire interview on NPR.org with the comments about Iron Man 2 starting at roughly 4 and a half minutes in.

On an equally interesting note, everyone knows that the Iron Man suit for the film was heavily influenced by Adi Granov's drawings and that he even pitched a couple of variations during storyboarding. Rumor circulating is that War Machine's suit will use Adi's drawing for Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. #33 cover as a beginning template....

IROMcover33F.jpg
\

Notice no spot for an Arc Reactor? Meaning the suit would have to be powered some other way to work and would keep Iron Man's need of one (arc reactor) to Tony. Should be interesting to see where this goes.

Damn that would look cool.

As far as Terrance.. something isn't being said. Not sure who is withholding that piece of info (Him or Marvel, etc.) that would make the situation make sense but some part of the puzzle is missing.

Back