Does anyone here just not like Frankenstein 1931?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is yet another proof why Hollywood is a lost cause these days. New kids like our 18 year old who desires to be a director insults what came before him. Then throws critically acclaimed acting out, and most likely favors CGI over pantomiming.

Frankenstein is a tried and true classic. Films were made differently then, and in my opinion for the better. Why even start a thread attempting to dissect (pun intended) a movie that is the seminal horror film? I suppose Peter Jackson's King Kong is superior to the original, or Nosferatu pales in comparison to Coppola's Dracula? :gah:

Karloff made the film--and the film is a classic. it will be around far longer than most of today's "blockbusters". Come read this thread after you are successful director and have aged a bit. You will realize you seem like a total ******.:slap

yup. it's these so called "aspiring directors" of today that find faults with classic films and think they can improve the film with some ____ty remake.

This is yet another proof why Hollywood is a lost cause these days. New kids like our 18 year old who desires to be a director insults what came before him. Then throws critically acclaimed acting out, and most likely favors CGI over pantomiming.

Frankenstein is a tried and true classic. Films were made differently then, and in my opinion for the better. Why even start a thread attempting to dissect (pun intended) a movie that is the seminal horror film? I suppose Peter Jackson's King Kong is superior to the original, or Nosferatu pales in comparison to Coppola's Dracula? :gah:

Karloff made the film--and the film is a classic. it will be around far longer than most of today's "blockbusters". Come read this thread after you are successful director and have aged a bit. You will realize you seem like a total ******.:slap

:goodpost::exactly::lecture

Not all young aspiring filmmakers of tomorrow are a lost cause by the way, there are a select handful who just may save the industry. I have to believe in that.

Yes, i'm a total lost cause because I dont like one movie called Frankenstien....

And apperently, it's a crime to be 18. So sorry guys!

I praised Karloff, and found him really good at times. I just didnt enjoy the flick. The characters never clicked with me. I enjoy good characters in movies. So if a film doesnt have good characters....I cant enjoy it. Unless it's really stupid and entertaining....like Piranha...! :lol

And as for the Dexter comment....how is Dexter not likable? He kills people who deserve it....he does what all of us try to do...belong.

Dr. Frankenstien does not. But I guess that's the purpose of the character, someone said. So i'll agree to that. He wasnt supposed to be a good guy. And that does make me appreciate the film a bit more.

But I still dont care for it. If I expected a "positive" reaction, I wouldnt have made this thread. So i'm totally in it for the discussion.

And by the way, point out to where I said I could make a better movie. Because I didnt. I cant. Why? Because i'm not there yet. I cant make anything amazing yet because i'm still learning. I have years to go before I can get up to a decent level.

On a side note, I did think the film looked good. Aside from the backdrop at the end, the style was very well done, and there are some really fantastic shots. So from a stylistic stand point, I enjoyed the movie.

I am tempted to check out the other classic Universal flicks...but I just dont want to be disappointed.

What's the next best one?

I'd suggest checking out some early German Expressionist-type films and then giving Frankenstein another chance.

Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on Lon Chaney Sr. movies?

Oh man... :lol!!
your post is such a Fail!!!...

celebrity-pictures-frankenstein-good-sht.jpg

Too long. Didn't read. Anyone who dislikes Whale's Frankenstein isn't worth my time anyway.

pffffft.....what do kids know about the classics. this whole thread is a crime.

This is where I stopped reading.

Lots of words :monkey4

You're nuts. IMO.

What I do find funny is that here's a young kid being honest and open about his opinion and take on a very famous movie, asking for a decent discussion, and all most of the older, wiser, more mature members can do is belittle him, insult him and generally not come up with one intelligent thing to say in defense of the movie. :slap

Give CP reasons to re-evaluate his opinion, back up your own opinion with intelligent arguments, quote film historians...

CP, I'd recommend Murnau's Nosferatu. It's a great silent-era movie, but do make sure to look for the Kino restored version.
As for the other classics, as I stated earlier, I don't like Dracula one bit, but do give it a shot, perhaps you can connect with that one. The other two classics are The Mummy and The Wolfman. I barely remember The Mummy (saw it when I was a kid), but I do remember I didn't like it because there just wasn't enough of the mummy in it... The Wolfman I did like, but I saw it as a kid as well, so I'll have to watch it again to have a more informed opinion. Frankenstein's Bride is a mystery to me... never understood why people like it more than Frankenstein, for my part comedy just kills it, but everybody else swears by it, so who knows... to me it just lost all the terrible sadness and angst of the first, and is the lesser for that.

I'd suggest checking out some early German Expressionist-type films and then giving Frankenstein another chance.

Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on Lon Chaney Sr. movies?

Havent seen 'em. But I will. I really want to see Nosferatu. That looks really interesting.

Abake, I knew these comments were going to come. But they dont bother me. :lol

If they did, I shouldnt be on the internet. :D

What I do find funny is that here's a young kid being honest and open about his opinion and take on a very famous movie, asking for a decent discussion, and all most of the older, wiser, more mature members can do is belittle him, insult him and generally not come up with one intelligent thing to say in defense of the movie. :slap

Give CP reasons to re-evaluate his opinion, back up your own opinion with intelligent arguments, quote film historians...
honestly i could care less what anybody thinks about this film. i just feel the OP talks so damn stupid on this board that i had to throw in my 2 cents.

I'll take into consideration your opinion after you watch London after midnight...

Great pwnage indeed. I will hang it in my bathroom.

Anyway, kinda. I read a few chapters when I found one just sitting in the library. Is it a good book? I'm in need of a good book.

Great pwnage indeed. I will hang it in my bathroom.

Anyway, kinda. I read a few chapters when I found one just sitting in the library. Is it a good book? I'm in need of a good book.

It's an awesome read. Especially when you consider Mary Shelly's "predictions" toward medicine. Electric shock hadn't even been conceived as a means of restarting the heart when that was written.

^ I will check it out soon. After I finish this crappy Aliens book. I'm kinda halfway though so...:lol

Back