Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should check you The Aztecs. Such a great episode. The story, the acting, the writing. Top notch. The scene were the Doctor gets engaged is so freaking hilarious.

You should check you The Aztecs. Such a great episode. The story, the acting, the writing. Top notch. The scene were the Doctor gets engaged is so freaking hilarious.

Thanks for the info I'm sure I'll check it out at some point especially as I've a long wait until 2010 for the next episodes of Nu-Who that I'll consider watching though I might watch Tennant's last one just so I can cheer when he bites the dust lol!

Thats what I have been doing since Who won't really back on in full force until 2010. I started with Ep 1 The Unearthly Child and have been moving forward from there. :rock

Comparing production values of 70s vs 2000 is a bit unfair, but Dr. Who 70s vs most 70s shows its apparent the lack of production quality was there.

The episode where UNIT brings that tank to take out the Robot was so poor. Not only was the Robot about to fall apart, but the tank they used was like the least detailed tank model you can possibly find outside of something that fills with air and floats in a pool.

And the angles on the cameras were the same in every scene. Extreme closeups. You even have Baker having to make sure he doesn't jump higher than 2" vertically and 6" laterally when he's lunging at Davros or he might fly out of frame.

So far the show has been an enjoyable watch and look back on 70s pop, but if someone was to give me a DVD set for Christmas, I'll take the Nu-Who for sure.

I have always thought that the short comings of the program in the 70's (and on into the 80's for that matter) was a pointed lack of BBC support. The writing was almost always excellent and (IMO) the acting usually pretty good for the era. But the BBC was cheap on funding the sets and FX that its a crying shame.

Comparing production values of 70s vs 2000 is a bit unfair, but Dr. Who 70s vs most 70s shows its apparent the lack of production quality was there.

The episode where UNIT brings that tank to take out the Robot was so poor. Not only was the Robot about to fall apart, but the tank they used was like the least detailed tank model you can possibly find outside of something that fills with air and floats in a pool.

And the angles on the cameras were the same in every scene. Extreme closeups. You even have Baker having to make sure he doesn't jump higher than 2" vertically and 6" laterally when he's lunging at Davros or he might fly out of frame.

So far the show has been an enjoyable watch and look back on 70s pop, but if someone was to give me a DVD set for Christmas, I'll take the Nu-Who for sure.

The Action Man tank in Robot only got in there because it was literally all they could afford and the director admits it was a mistake in the commentary.
You have to understand the difference between the BBC and Hollywood,even by the 70's the methods the BBC used were fairly primitive and this is why things like the camera angles were shot the way they were and not much money was allocated to the show.
This is something that is discussed in detail by the various directors,actors and producers on the commentaries and maybe if you listened to them you would get a better understanding of why it looked the way it did.
Nu-Who is like most modern series,all style with little substance and compared with the best 70's stories,the characterisation,storylines and much of the acting is poor.

Nu-Who is like most modern series,all style with little substance and compared with the best 70's stories,the characterisation,storylines and much of the acting is poor.

I'll just have to disagree. Maybe its a style thing, but the difference in acting between the gal that played Rose and Martha in the new series seem light years ahead of the companions on the various Baker episodes I've seen thus far. I also think the episodic actors are a lot better in the new show.

I'll just have to disagree. Maybe its a style thing, but the difference in acting between the gal that played Rose and Martha in the new series seem light years ahead of the companions on the various Baker episodes I've seen thus far. I also think the episodic actors are a lot better in the new show.

I'll agree that Rose & Martha have been better than SOME of the Classic companions but the horrific performances of Catherine Tate as Donna Noble in series 4 will for me always overshadow any good that they did and she was one of the primary reasons I quit watching halfway through the series.

RTD has made some boneheaded decisions during his time in charge of Who and I think replacing Freema Agyeman as the regular companion with such an untalented,annoying excuse of a woman is possibly his worst.

And on the flip side I think Catherine Tate was, quiet possibly, the most brilliant addition in the new series to date. Sad that they were doing the gap year otherwise she would have stayed.

I agree. For me Donna > Rose > Martha. I personally hated Donna at first but by the end of the sontaran 2 parter I liked her and by the end of the series she was my favorite companion.

I'm on the last disc of the Martha series. I like Martha Jones a lot. We'll see how I like season 4 over the next few weeks.

Here is the Children In Need preview of the Xmas special:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/v20R1D1_0a0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/v20R1D1_0a0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is the Children In Need preview of the Xmas special:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/v20R1D1_0a0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/v20R1D1_0a0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl Huh, should be an interesting Christmas Special. Now after this special, there is now season until 2010 right?

After this special there will be a special for Easter 2009, than another around Halloween, one for Christmas, one for New Years 2010 (David Tennants final episode) and then series 5 begins in Spring 2010 with a new Doctor.

Confused?

Xmas 2008
Easter 2009
Halloween 2009
Christmas 2009
New Years 2010

Series 5 debuts in Spring 2010.

:D

Any Brits watching the Children in Need special tonight? Please report what you thought!!!!

:)

Sorry, my wife was watching the 'Sarah Conor Chronicles'. I so hope that David Morrissey isn't the new Doctor, it'd be a backwards step, he's too much of an Eccleston type, and I could not stand Eccleston as the Doctor, so very, very wrong for the part.

Back