Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unbelievable first episode, Moffatt wasn't wrong when he said it'll feel like a movie. I'm wondering about the rumours are true now and
Spoiler Spoiler:

Unbelievable first episode, Moffatt wasn't wrong when he said it'll feel like a movie. I'm wondering about the rumours are true now and
Spoiler Spoiler:

You never know but it would not surprise me one damn bit. That would be absolutely beyond words if that happens.

I'm going to go completely out there and just put it on the table--Today's episode was one of THE BEST ever. It WAS a piece of cinema for crying out loud and deserved the full IMAX treatment. Everything about it was perfect. Just perfect. And those final words from you know who...(gotta go with the Voldemort allusion especially since the you know who in the episode had his very own Nagini).

"Compassion...is wrong."

Utterly chilling and utterly devastating.

The entire episode was a "meditation" (and lamentation) on Tom Baker's famous words, "do I have the right" from the very first episode that introduced you know who.

Today's episode is one of the best hours of television you will see all year (maybe of any year), rivaling and surpassing perhaps even ones from Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Mr. Robot over the last few months. I'm still shaking and thinking about it now hours after I watched. It's that unnerving and stunning. Gotta go watch it again.

Last edited:
Spoiler Spoiler:

This would be awesome! :lecture

Loved last night's episode, fantastic start to the news series!! :rock

Spoiler Spoiler:

Who is Maise Williams and what on earth does she have to do with Susan? And to answer your question, no I don't think that will happen.

Maisie Williams plays Arya Stark on Game of Thrones. She will be joining Doctor Who this season for an unknown number of episodes. She's in the season 9 trailer in an orange space suit saying "Good to see you again old man."

There has been speculation that Williams might play Susan, the granddaughter of the Doctor from the Hartnell years. Of course, every actress who joins the show gets that rumor, so :huh

Oh duh. I know how Maise Williams is :duh. I was thinking there was a character in the Whoniverse with that name. I wasn't thinking actresses. :lol

Well that would be interesting, but I still doubt it. Besides if they're going to bring back Susan, it had better be Carole Ann Ford playing her.

The rumour was that Maisie Williams will be playing Clara when the Doctor travels into Clara's past, the rumour was smashed. I think she'll just be playing a character unrelated to Clara or Susan though the line "hello old man" does lead you to believe she'll be someone from the Doctor's past.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I do believe she is an entirely new character.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Just my speculation,but knowing Moffat and how he likes introduce us to new characters who are "old friends" of the Doctor, I can see this as likely.

I feel conflicted on the episode. The presentation was slick and the beginning and end of the episode were great, but while the middle had some good character moments, it was filled with such utter nonsensical random rubbish that it turned me off.

For me, the only bit that felt a little bit silly/forced/out of place was the part with the Doctor riding in on a tank playing a guitar. On paper it sounds cool, but I dunno...a bit weird, even by Doctor Who standards :lol

Today's episode:

image.jpeg

And that's how you finish a two-parter by sticking the landing with an absolute perfect flourish. A seminal, transcendent story for the ages this two-parter. The perfect sequel to Genesis of the Daleks. I don't know how many times my jaw hit the floor the last hour. It was fun, glorious, dark, dangerous, and heartfelt and yet just laugh out loud mad at times. Michelle Gomez's work is beyond words. I loved the one up manship by both the Doctor and Davros. It was a chess game that MATTERED and the end game was fist pumping inducing. Easily the best work Moffat has ever done in my estimation. I loved how he turned what everybody thought was a story about the Doctor dying again into a testament about the Doctor wanting to live. And that scene where the Doctor offered the boy his hand choked me up like crazy. "Mercy" indeed. Sublime man. Sublime. Now what the hell can they do to top this?

This would have been the perfect episode to send Clara off, they should have held it until later in this season. Clara locked inside a Dalek when The Doctor's regenerative energy hit would have accounted for Jenna Coleman's first appearance as Oswin "Eggs" the Dalek. It also would pave over some gaps in the Impossible Girl's travels apart from the Time Stream on Trenzalore. Lastly it would give Jenna Coleman a possible way to visit the series in the future for guest appearances.

Missy is a great character. She doesn't really seem like The Master but she's still fun to watch.

You are so on target with that assessment. Don't get me wrong. This episode is still the absolute pinnacle in my opinion but DAMN! This entire story should have been this season's finale especially with Coleman departing. It would have been the perfect send off for Coleman's Clara Oswald, could have been even more emotionally powerful, and would have made the connection to "Eggs"/Souffle Girl from Asylum of the Daleks and the whole Impossible Girl arc that much more meaningful and substantial. Gomez's Missy reminds so much of Roger Delgado's Master, just ramped up but with the same evil, maniacal playfulness that Delgado brought to that character while he played off of Jon Pertwee's Doctor. I can't say enough about Capaldi right now. He ****ing owned this beast along with Julian Bleach as Davros. Their screen time together was like watching a masterclass in acting. I went through a gambit of emotions watching those two locked in that room together. Just superb man. Just superb.

Missy/Clara remind me a lot of the Master/Jo Grant dynamic. But I thought the episode was a bit confusing. There were times where the dialog was completely unintelligible. But still, far more interesting than most anything from series 5 or 6.

Missy/Clara remind me a lot of the Master/Jo Grant dynamic. But I thought the episode was a bit confusing. There were times where the dialog was completely unintelligible. But still, far more interesting than most anything from series 5 or 6.

THIS! THIS AND MORE THIS! The word "frenemy" was mentioned more times in this two parter than I could count and Delgado's Master was the very first "frenemy" and by far the best. Gomez mentioned in one of the Doctor Who Extras that she's taken a big page from Delgado to do this character which gives me another reason to praise her. For all of the Nu Whovians who don't know about Delgado's Master, they are really missing out and just won't pick up on the subtext of Gomez's performance.

.....I can't say enough about Capaldi right now. He ****ing owned this beast along with Julian Bleach as Davros. Their screen time together was like watching a masterclass in acting. I went through a gambit of emotions watching those two locked in that room together. Just superb man. Just superb.

:exactly: :goodpost: Me too!! Absolutely loved the Doctor/Davros scenes - best thing about the episode, just wonderful stuff. Capaldi is just killing it as the Doctor IMO.

Now that's how you do a two-parter!! :rock

Back