Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old series is a dinosaur than lacks all the epic cinematic feel that a show like this demands.

I think the show only demands imagination, and the old series beats the new one hands down in that respect. Vastly more scope and imagination.

If wanted to use my imagination, I wouldnt even be watching tv. I watch tv to hear someone else's stories, not try to imagine what the beyond crap effects should look like

If wanted to use my imagination, I wouldnt even be watching tv. I watch tv to hear someone else's stories, not try to imagine what the beyond crap effects should look like

doctorw ho uses the effects the best they can but fans would rather have good stories and real people than CGI.
everybody knows you take the doctor who effects with a pinch of salt

I think even by todays standards a fair few of the new Who episodes have shaky effects, its part of Who though which has survived so long because the title character is so intriguing. Even when RTD was around character building was more focused than effect shots but he had an affinity to use big scenes and finales to make the series more 'epic'' which seldom paid off. Back in the 70's TV budgets were a lot smaller and the effects are noticably crap but some have trouble looking past the dodgy sets and just viewing the show as a fun sci-fi because of what we are used to effects wise now 30+ years on.

I was cool with the big black eyes...until that turned out to be a mask...:slap

yeah i loved that first look too, then when I realised it was a mask I saw the face underneath and could appreciate the reasons why, and how well it was done... but couldnt help thinking "aw dammit the masks looked way cooler!"

but there was no way to have that face and let the actors act I suppose.

Your best bet is to watch the new series episodes first, and then if you're interested check out one or two of the stone cold classics to see if you like the vibe.

That's what I did. As it turned out I ended up preferring the Classic series.

I ceased being impressed by CGI effects about 5 minutes after seeing the original Jurassic Park for the first time so the dodgy looking effects of the Classic era don't get in the way of my enjoyment.

I think Nu-Who and indeed much of modern TV and film places far too much emphasis on flashy visuals and the storylines and characters usually suffer as a result.

Last edited:
Tonight's the night. Whatever it is, we'll know soon.
I for one hope it is good and trumps the last few season's finale storytelling. Here's to hoping! :duff

Tonight's the night. Whatever it is, we'll know soon.
I for one hope it is good and trumps the last few season's finale storytelling. Here's to hoping! :duff

:exactly:

Steven Moffat & his team have suprised me so much this season with how they've changed and improved many things from the RTD era but it will all count for nothing if the finale has yet another "magic reset" in the closing stages.

If there's no adequate payoff there's no point to having big story arcs and trying to make the closing episodes of a series such an event.

5 words - sonic screwdriver & vortex manipulator ...

Bound to have one or the other come into play to help him escape from the Pandorica. Can't wait to find out though, not long now ...

I think even by todays standards a fair few of the new Who episodes have shaky effects, its part of Who though
Some mediocre CGI is nothing compared to the ridiculously bad special effects form the classic show.

which has survived so long because the title character is so intriguing. Even when RTD was around character building was more focused than effect shots .
Its alot harder to get invested in the character or the story when his world doesnt feel believable.

Compared to RTD's overblown but ultimately shallow attempts at being epic the more understated approach used in "The Big Bang" was a masterstroke.

Yes there was a reset and lots of cheesiness with the constant skipping back & forth via vortex manipulator ( well guessed paul ;) ) but the way the continuity worked was much more coherent and it just felt "right" in a way that no other modern finale has come close to.

My favorite bit was where the Doctor said his goodbyes to Amy before whizzing off in the Pandorica, Smith's acting was f'ing amazing, he somehow managed to sound and appear all of his characters age and in one scene showed more talent than his predecessor did in just over 4 years.

As Winston Churchill would say "KBO, Mr Moffat, KBO"

Last edited:
5 words - sonic screwdriver & vortex manipulator ...

Bound to have one or the other come into play to help him escape from the Pandorica. Can't wait to find out though, not long now ...

well I'll be blowed... how the hell did I manage to come up with that ? :D

And thanks Brendan ! :)

well I'll be blowed... how the hell did I manage to come up with that ? :D

And thanks Brendan ! :)

3 letters = RTD :)

As much as I dislike resets as a plot device it would seem this one will serve to eradicate any remaining stuff from the old regime that Moffat disliked so the next series could effectively be a fresh slate for all kinds of things.

I certainly hope so. I loved the episode so much that I'm watching it again ! Looking forward to the Christmas special now !

Maybe the universe is now set up for a return of the proper Cybermen?

This year's Christmas Special will be the first I've seen since 2007 so hopefully it's a step up from that Titanic waste of time.

A spacegoing version of the Orient Express appears to be the setting so maybe the Doctor will get to play detective?

This is one thing that annoyed me about the Titanic episode? Why did it have to be spacegoing? What was wrong with an episode about Doctor Who on the real Titanic? The apparent prospect of that at the end of the 3rd season excited me, but in the end it just happened to be yet another space and aliens adventure.
So why does this year's episode have to be yet another spacegoing version of a historical event that would have been at the very least just as good on its own?

In fact, feeling a need to cram silly aliens into every single story ruined what would have been very good stories. Like Vincent and The Doctor this year. No need for an alien. Took a very good story and made it silly by cramming it in, even though it was such an underdeveloped plot point that it really didnt even affect the main storyline (to the extent that it was never really explained).

Back