Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, that is the first episode since the guy in my sig left, which coincidentally was when I started watching the modern show again because I stopped for reasons which should be obvious by the nature of my avatar & sig :)

If you like him then more power to you and I hope you have fun catching up on his era :)

I was reading on Wiki about the First Season (2005) (not the original First Season from 1963). They don't consider it a "reboot," but from what I read, the BBC basically wanted a brand new start for a new generation of fans. So if I start with that season with the Ninth Doctor will I understand everything, or will I be left in the dark because I missed the experiences from the first eight Doctors?

I was reading on Wiki about the First Season (2005) (not the original First Season from 1963). They don't consider it a "reboot," but from what I read, the BBC basically wanted a brand new start for a new generation of fans. So if I start with that season with the Ninth Doctor will I understand everything, or will I be left in the dark because I missed the experiences from the first eight Doctors?

To be honest there's that much of a difference between the two eras that you could probably watch from 2005 onwards without feeling too out of the loop.

A few references wouldn't make sense, such as bits of some characters backstories but in general it may as well have been a reboot because there's very little in common with the original show.

To be honest there's that much of a difference between the two eras that you could probably watch from 2005 onwards without feeling too out of the loop.

A few references wouldn't make sense, such as bits of some characters backstories but in general it may as well have been a reboot because there's very little in common with the original show.

Sweet! I think I'll give this a go then. Like I was saying, I saw three episodes today, didn't really understand much of it, and yet I was surprisingly intrigued. :lol

One was about a little girl in charge of a "super" hard drive that was going haywire, another about a time-eating beetle on the back of the Doctor's side-kick, and a plane/shuttle on its way to "Midnight" that was hi-jacked by a "spirit" that took over people's bodies, in hopes of finding a corporeal form.

I understood the "theme of the week," but when it came to underlying themes like some entity known as "Bad Wolf???" I was lost. You could just tell there was something MUCH bigger going on and I've that feeling. Very cool show. I may have to frequent this thread more often! :rock

More or less. There is pretty much nothing that carries on from 1989 beyond the basic premise. You can ignore the classic series completly and still enjoy and understand everything from the new show (I still have yet to see 1 classic episode).

I would definatly start with Season 1 with the Ninth Doctor. Alot of people call this year a "new era" simply becuase there is a new doctor and producer, but it is still very much the same show that it has been for the past 5 years, and there are few plotlines that you wont understnad at all.

bcm77 may completly dismiss everything that happened before 3 months ago, but the truth is that despite some admittedly daft elements (plot quick fixes, inappropriate comedic relief, a lead character that can be summed up in the word "histrionic") there is alot of good that came out of Seasons 1-4, and many enjoyable episodes. And David Tennant did play a very unique and likeable (most of the time) doctor.

Chapter 2099 From what you have caught so far i might suggest starting from the very start of the revival in '05, it was the Ecclestone era (the balding chap with the large ears!) it sounds liek your on series 4 with David Tennant which really utlilises characters from 2005 onwards, so its nice to grab their backstorys. Alternativly as bcm suggested you could start from 11th hour which is Matt Smiths takeover which started this year as the newest doctor, he is a great doctor and its a fresh start for the franchise but as a Tennant and 'nu-who' fan i'd suggest starting from series 1 (2005 - 'Rose')

bcm i thought you were a classic who fan to begin with! i didnt realise you had started with the 2005 revival, i guess things near the end did get a little worse compared to the beginning of the revival.

Sweet! I think I'll give this a go then. Like I was saying, I saw three episodes today, didn't really understand much of it, and yet I was surprisingly intrigued. :lol

One was about a little girl in charge of a "super" hard drive that was going haywire, another about a time-eating beetle on the back of the Doctor's side-kick, and a plane/shuttle on its way to "Midnight" that was hi-jacked by a "spirit" that took over people's bodies, in hopes of finding a corporeal form.

I understood the "theme of the week," but when it came to underlying themes like some entity known as "Bad Wolf???" I was lost. You could just tell there was something MUCH bigger going on and I've that feeling. Very cool show. I may have to frequent this thread more often! :rock

Don't get too concerned with the big arcs because most of the time the pay off at the end of each series is far less than it's set up to be.

There's a tendency for each finale to resolve the arc in the last 5 minutes via some sort of "magic switch" plot device.

The regular episodes that don't focus on the arcs are usually better.

'midnight' was brilliant i thought, a story that didnt rely on CG or quarries just a simplistic character driven plot that both intrigued and freaky, i hated her repeating everything it gave off a very scary vibe.

'midnight' was brilliant i thought, a story that didnt rely on CG or quarries just a simplistic character driven plot that both intrigued and freaky, i hated her repeating everything it gave off a very scary vibe.

I watched the episode when it originally aired but I'd long since reached the point where I was alternating between apathy and indifference for that era and I really can't remember anything apart from wanting the beetle thing to bite her face off.

'left turn' that beetle was the most horrific thing i have seen so far it looked like some poor puppet that had been scavanged from some 1060's movie flop. Left turn was an interesting story apart from that though depicting what would occur if the doctor had not been around to divert the invasions, i somewhat would like to see how the doctor would of dealt with the 456 from torchwood, no doubt a sonic screwdriver press to its gas chamber but oh well lol!

I watched the episode when it originally aired but I'd long since reached the point where I was alternating between apathy and indifference for that era and I really can't remember anything apart from wanting the beetle thing to bite her face off.

Not even the right episode. Midnight is where the Doctor is locked in the transport with the "creature" that eventually tries to take over his body. Quite creepy and one of my favorites. Shows how quickly a group of strangers can become a mob.

Turn Left was the beetle episode.

Of course you won't see this since you've blocked me. :panic:

More or less. There is pretty much nothing that carries on from 1989 beyond the basic premise. You can ignore the classic series completly and still enjoy and understand everything from the new show (I still have yet to see 1 classic episode).

I would definatly start with Season 1 with the Ninth Doctor. Alot of people call this year a "new era" simply becuase there is a new doctor and producer, but it is still very much the same show that it has been for the past 5 years, and there are few plotlines that you wont understnad at all.

bcm77 may completly dismiss everything that happened before 3 months ago, but the truth is that despite some admittedly daft elements (plot quick fixes, inappropriate comedic relief, a lead character that can be summed up in the word "histrionic") there is alot of good that came out of Seasons 1-4, and many enjoyable episodes. And David Tennant did play a very unique and likeable (most of the time) doctor.

Awesome!!! That's what I was hoping to hear, and good to know. I was worried because I looked up the complete episode guide from the 60s and on, and it would take me forever to catch up it seems. I think overall I would struggle through it if I started that far back. The new Season One of 2005 is VERY doable for me, in terms of catching up. I'm going to add this to my "must watch" list. I'm trying to finish Lost right now, since Smallville went on hiatus. But it's looking like the Doctor is "on deck." :rock

I'm looking forward to being able to join the discussions!

Chapter 2099 From what you have caught so far i might suggest starting from the very start of the revival in '05, it was the Ecclestone era (the balding chap with the large ears!) it sounds liek your on series 4 with David Tennant which really utlilises characters from 2005 onwards, so its nice to grab their backstorys. Alternativly as bcm suggested you could start from 11th hour which is Matt Smiths takeover which started this year as the newest doctor, he is a great doctor and its a fresh start for the franchise but as a Tennant and 'nu-who' fan i'd suggest starting from series 1 (2005 - 'Rose')

bcm i thought you were a classic who fan to begin with! i didnt realise you had started with the 2005 revival, i guess things near the end did get a little worse compared to the beginning of the revival.

I think I'm going to do just that and start with "Rose." I found Season One sealed on Ebay for about $20 +shipping. It sounds like it will be WELL worth it. The little that I saw, I REALLY enjoyed. The only show I keep up with anymore is Smallville and that's ending next year. It's nice to know I have found a new interest to "fill" that "void." Plus, from what I've read, the ratings on this show are through the roof, so I don't think it's going anywhere for a while.

Don't get too concerned with the big arcs because most of the time the pay off at the end of each series is far less than it's set up to be.

There's a tendency for each finale to resolve the arc in the last 5 minutes via some sort of "magic switch" plot device.

The regular episodes that don't focus on the arcs are usually better.

Good to know! I'll definitely keep that in mind. My biggest concern is being out of the loop right, even starting from Season One, but it sounds like I'll be okay. :rock

That's the ep!!! Freaky is right!! She kept repeating every word and then, the "spirit" could predict what they were going to say and took over the Doctor himself. It seemed like a "filler" ep., but even so it was good!!!! :rock I can't believe I didn't give this show a shot earlier.

oh it was deffo a filler because it was nearer the end of the series, but sometimes the smaller budget episodes can be the best, it was superbly written and i hope you enjoy what you watch from 'rose' onwards because it made a total fan out of me.

'left turn' that beetle was the most horrific thing i have seen so far it looked like some poor puppet that had been scavanged from some 1060's movie flop. Left turn was an interesting story apart from that though depicting what would occur if the doctor had not been around to divert the invasions, i somewhat would like to see how the doctor would of dealt with the 456 from torchwood, no doubt a sonic screwdriver press to its gas chamber but oh well lol!

Not even the right episode. Midnight is where the Doctor is locked in the transport with the "creature" that eventually tries to take over his body. Quite creepy and one of my favorites. Shows how quickly a group of strangers can become a mob.

Turn Left was the beetle episode.

Of course you won't see this since you've blocked me. :panic:

Yep, that was the other ep!!! :rock

I guess the blonde girl that "guest starred" in the episode was the "side-kick" to the Ninth Doctor. She came back because time was disrupted and the Tenth Doctor died as a result of the new "side-kick" taking a left turn instead of a right turn. (Or vice versa.) She was helping the new side-kick to right the wrongs. The stars were going out and the Titanic (yes, the ship!!!) flew from space into the Royal Palace and destroyed it. The whole time I was saying "WHAT?????" :lol But absolutely LOVED it!

It was sad because the new side-kick had to go back in time, stop herself from turning into the wrong direction, and in order to do that she had to jump in front of a bus. Then the old side-kick shows up and whispers "Bad Wolf" into her ear, as she dies. So the new side-kick rewrote time that the beetle disrupted, ultimately saving her own life and the Doctor's in present day.

And thank you all for your help. This is the reason why I love these boards. You guys (and gals) rock, and I greatly appreciate it!! :rock :duff

Turn Left was essentially a "greatest hits" of what happened since Rose (the blonde) left. Everything will make a lot more sense once you start with the 2005 stuff and go forward from there.

Turn Left was essentially a "greatest hits" of what happened since Rose (the blonde) left. Everything will make a lot more sense once you start with the 2005 stuff and go forward from there.

Ohhhhhh.....So Rose is the blonde. I was going to ask about her name. I felt bad calling her the "blonde" and "side-kick." :lol

It won't be for a while, but I WILL watch the episodes starting from 2005. This show definitely looks amazing. I'm glad I found it when I did. Better late, then never.

Many people make that mistake, usually the more biased of Nu-Who fans when they're attempting to mock me for my opinions but I know you're OK so all's cool :)

I'd always been aware of the show growing up but never watched it as any sci-fi that wasn't Star Wars didn't intrest me.

By the time the revival came round, the SW prequels had all but killed my intrest in the Star Wars franchise so I decided to give it a go and for whatever reason I liked it to begin with, even Tennant's first series.

Then a few weeks after "Doomsday" aired I bought "Genesis of the Daleks" on DVD as my first look at the Classic era and I'd not even finished part one before I knew my opinion of the modern show had changed for good.

With hindsight I should have just stopped there but I still had a sense of loyalty to the current show and I persisted all the way from "The Runaway Bride" to "Journey's End" before calling time on that era....I'll never get the lost hours back but I can easily forget most of what ocurred during series 3 & 4 hence my sketchy knowledge on that period.

I decided to give the new regime a go and initially I thought it was good, many of the things I hated about the previous era have gone but I still find it lacking in terms of substance and this obsession with trying to make every finale an "event" always backfires so I won't be wasting my time with the rest of the series.

I'll watch next year but as with this year any comedy episodes and the finales will get skipped.

Last edited:
Ohhhhhh.....So Rose is the blonde. I was going to ask about her name. I felt bad calling her the "blonde" and "side-kick." :lol

Trust me, after watching the first few seasons it will be impossible to forget her. Seeing as she will be rammed down your throat as the most amazing person ever. Haha

Trust me, after watching the first few seasons it will be impossible to forget her. Seeing as she will be rammed down your throat as the most amazing person ever. Haha

It is kind of like she is sometimes made out to be more important than the Doctor at points, in a way the 4 series of the revival have had something to do with her character! should rename it from Doctor Who to Rose Tyler!

i watched 'Logopolis' and 'Castrovalva' other day, i have to admit they didnt seem much different to things being shown today, a big finale for Tom which lead quite nicley into Peters reign which felt a lot similar to the 'christmas invasion' when Tennant was all out of whack from his regeneration. Not long untill the beginning of the end (of sorts) for 11, cant wait!

Back