Do you acknowledge the Expanded Universe?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truth do you cling to?

• If it wasn't in the movies, it didn't happen

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Movies + other filmed content (The Clone Wars etc)

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Some of the Expanded Universe

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Most of the Expanded Universe

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • All of the Expanded Universe

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters
Because SW started out on screen, it was never a written property. The books developed out of the popularity of the movies. So for me, the movies are the source, all the books are just fan fiction imo, better or not.

FAIL! :lol

Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker is the title of a science fiction novel credited to George Lucas but actually ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster and first published on November 12, 1976 by Del Rey.

Movie was released on May 25, 1977 ya knucklehead. :p

Yeah, but the novels were based on the movies. The movies remain the primary source, even if the novels flesh them out a bit.

Sounds like a lot of you folks regard the OT as "New Testament" and the PT as "Old Testament", i.e. some parts are open to interpretation.

Yeah, but the novels were based on the movies. The movies remain the primary source, even if the novels flesh them out a bit.

Sounds like a lot of you folks regard the OT as "New Testament" and the PT as "Old Testament", i.e. some parts are open to interpretation.

....weak. :lol

I look at it all like martial arts. Take from different sources what you will to enjoy it and leave the rest to the closeminded.

Except Star Wars has more chance of holding some truth.:monkey1

Apologies to any true believers. Just my SABIHAO (Sorry Assed, Burn In Hell, Atheist Opinion!)

LOL. This is something I struggle with in my faith. Organized religious leaders built the Bible out of the Word of God, but they built it with an angle toward emphasizing their world views and propagating their new religion. This, plus the fact that, through multiple translations from Aramaic to Hebrew to Latin to Greek to French to English, you have to accept that something was lost in translation. Also, it's not clear how much of the Bible is comprised of actual events, and how many of the stories are simply allegorical (which is how Jesus liked to teach) and not intended as literal history.
ANYWAY, I suppose that's an argument for a different thread.

An interesting bi-product of the EU for me is that I have trouble divorcing some of the EU that links into the movies from the original intent of the films. For example, In one of the Tales novels, we discover that the Rancor Keeper had the rancor well-trained, and had a plan underway to break the rancor out and set him free of Jabba; a plan that was to be carried out the day after the beast was killed by Luke. Having read this, I now look at the Rancor Keeper (Malakili), and shake my head as he cries at his pet's death, thinking, "Man, if only he'd been able to wait one more day..."

I look at it all like martial arts. Take from different sources what you will to enjoy it and leave the rest to the closeminded.

Agreed. That's pretty much how I feel about it. Take it all in, then decide what's bad or good.

The really funny thing is, I seem to hear more "I hate EU comments" from folks who don't even check it out. How can someone state that they hate something if they've never read it? Closeminded indeed :lol

I think it comes down to convenience more than anything else. There's just soo much stuff out there, it's hard to keep up. I suppose it's easier for some folks to just write it off as crap then to actually invest some time/energy into really giving it a chance and checking it out.

Like I said before, a lot of the EU is much more enjoyable than the prequel movies. How anyone could have enjoyed Natalie Portman's performance is beyond me :huh

I take the good with the bad. I accept the EU for what it is...another artist's interpretation and storytelling in the same universe as what the Emperor Lucas has already established....Do I always like it?? No.

I acknowledge the OT, Clone Wars (so far) and PARTS of the prequel trilogy.

Sorry but midichlorians? No thanks.

I acknowledge the OT, Clone Wars (so far) and PARTS of the prequel trilogy.

What he said. I acknowledge all that i've watched and read so far except for that. Can't comment on the rest.

I think it comes down to convenience more than anything else. There's just soo much stuff out there, it's hard to keep up. I suppose it's easier for some folks to just write it off as crap then to actually invest some time/energy into really giving it a chance and checking it out.

Good point. Back when it was mainly just the Marvel comics, the EU was a lot simpler. Then there was the modern novels, and Dark Empire, which were awesome. Then it just kept piling on, and I gave up. I haven't kept up with any of the New Jedi Order or Legacy stuff, even though some of it looks interesting from a distance.

I had the same initial reaction, but I've grown to accept them. Funnily enough, I found the midichlorians helped explain the resistance to the Force of Thrawn's salamanders, i.e. they don't have any in their blood! Also, wouldn't the Jedi be too smart to just blindly accept a concept like the Force without investigating it scientifically?

I like midichlorians. It would make sense that during the time of the republic, they would have a more sophisticated understanding of the biological roots of Force ability. I would expect the populace under the empire to have a more mystical explanation/understanding of it, and I wouldn't expect Kenobi or Yoda to bother Luke with superfluous details when they had much bigger fish to stick a lightsaber through.

For proper Star Wars only the OT exists for me. I accept the PT as merely entertaining adventure shenanigans - as Star Wars films they're a botched opportunity. As for EU its long since I stopped paying attention to it.

Back