• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone can gift me money any time they want.

:)

I can send you some movie accurate socks. They are as good as money. :wave

As gift option isnt available in Germany I dont really care about this issue. But I agree with Nash that it should be against the FS rules to ask for gift payment. False claims are a different story. Never heard of any (yet the idea isnt that bad :monkey3 ) but heard of plenty people being screwed when they have send as gift. Erase the gift problem first and than handle zhe fals claims if they really happen.

I can send you some movie accurate socks. They are as good as money. :wave

As gift option isnt available in Germany I dont really care about this issue. But I agree with Nash that it should be against the FS rules to ask for gift payment. False claims are a different story. Never heard of any (yet the idea isnt that bad :monkey3 ) but heard of plenty people being screwed when they have send as gift. Erase the gift problem first and than handle zhe fals claims if they really happen.

Hehe So this is not a joke? That's how ZHE Germans talk? :)

Half of my transactions here I was paid in gift and not one hitch or problem to this day. But I can understand why people are paranoid about it now. I only ask people that have a long standing relationship with me and the same as people I buy from. I believe it's a personal choice and banning it won't do. All we can do is warn those who are new to this.

I echo these thoughts. I think it depends on the credentials of the seller. I often ask for Paypal gift or bank transfer on high-end items. I've been collecting for maybe 10 years now and will be around for many, many more. I also have no qualms about paying by a means that is not 'protected' if the seller has a solid reputation. Yes, there is always a slight risk but you take risks when you get out of bed in the morning so it's about taking 'calculated risks'.

After the whole "addictedtocollecting" fiasco, this is one mistake I'll never make again. The sad thing is, he probably started a new profile and continued trading while others were forced to cut their losses.

Bottom line, it's not worth the risk!

I'm relatively new here but I definitely noticed plenty of threads in the for sale forum that ask for gift payments (otherwise pay a % to cover the Paypal fees).

I send money using Paypal like it gift to some memberes here and I never have a problem...I feel here we are like it brothers and sisters!! :)

I'm guessing the problem here is like most things in life....99% of the people get along just fine, but the 1% have to screw it up.

Depends on the person and amount.

As for the peps asking for 4% more on sales, they can suck it. That is the sellers fee for the service, not the buyer.

Depends on the person and amount.

As for the peps asking for 4% more on sales, they can suck it. That is the sellers fee for the service, not the buyer.

True.
When I look for an item to purchase, and find a title that sparks my interest, naturally I go in to check out the thread, but no matter how good the price is for me - If I see the 'buyer pays fees' I will never contact the seller to inquire any further. In fact, if that line is in the beginning of the thread, I will not even read any of the listings in it. Did make an exception to this rule on a few very very rare occasions, but usually will just look for a purchase elsewhere.
Been buying, selling, trading for years, and as a seller I have never asked nor will ask a buyer to pay what paypal defines as 'Seller Fees', and it annoys me to see sellers trying to impose it on a buyer.
You want the fees? Just work it into the price! Guess with me, it's a matter of principal, not price.

fyi another scammer, unfortunately i paid before ebay got to him. Took money never sent statue and just disappeared, gave him plenty of time & tried to contact.

I was a bit suspicious but he was in usa with full address and communicated very well (until i sent him the money), figured i give believe in good people and all that a try...nope didnt work.

ebay id: puppetman85
ebay #:110967525878

Richard Faria
122 Hart St.
Taunton, Ma 02780

Guys, in cases where you as a seller have an established rep but a potential buyer is a complete unknown - no feedback, only recently joined, doesn't post much and what posts he has look a bit spammish- is it acceptable to look for Gift payment? And even if it is, will it prevent you the seller from being scammed by the buyer if that is his intention?

Been buying, selling, trading for years, and as a seller I have never asked nor will ask a buyer to pay what paypal defines as 'Seller Fees', and it annoys me to see sellers trying to impose it on a buyer.
You want the fees? Just work it into the price! Guess with me, it's a matter of principal, not price.

I'm the same way. I pay the fees and I won't deal with anyone who doesn't. Like you said work it into the selling price if you want it.

When I sell stuff here, I never ask them to cover my fees via adding 3% or marking payment as a gift. It's the cost of receiving money through Paypal. They are a business and not a charity. I don't see why people try to scam them out of paying what was agreed upon when they signed up for an account.

If your selling something you should pay the fees, I wont bother with FS threads when they ask the buyer to pay. It's a service for the seller too, at worst split em or work it in the price if it bothers you so much.

Back