• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I despise the whole "add paypal fees".

They're a sellers fee. Always have been. You want $X, you work it out, and you build it into your item cost. Be professional about it.

It has come to my attention that people are still using the "gift" option when paying for items.

If a seller asks for this - please report them to a commerce mod - they are probably trying to scam you.

While you're at it, have people report sellers asking them to pay their fees for them. That's far more obnoxious than the gift payment thing.

Pay your own ****in fees.

Reading thru these posts it looks like the "gift " option is frowned upon,I have to ask when shipping overseas paypal doesn't really side with the seller so how does anyone go about this? unless the buyer has great feedback or a known member I wont sell overseas with out the gift payment.Im in the process of selling my Jason PF to a member and he paid a lot more than what im declaring on the customs form so he can save on customs fees..im declaring it at $60 so I can only insure it for $60..what happens if it gets damaged? does he do a chargeback thru paypal and I get screwed out of the money or does he get what its insured for?

Yeah its wicked aggravating seeing send as gift or add the fees.

I ask the person after the fact, would you mind sending half as gift and the rest not, so I can purchase and print a shipping label through PayPal.?
I never ask, hey add for fees.

can you purchase a shipping label for overseas stuff thru paypal? with the customs forms and everything?

Yes but the only option with USPS Is priority mail or express.
No first class
Also any Flat rate box option works

But it does print the whole customs form

Reading thru these posts it looks like the "gift " option is frowned upon,I have to ask when shipping overseas paypal doesn't really side with the seller so how does anyone go about this? unless the buyer has great feedback or a known member I wont sell overseas with out the gift payment.Im in the process of selling my Jason PF to a member and he paid a lot more than what im declaring on the customs form so he can save on customs fees..im declaring it at $60 so I can only insure it for $60..what happens if it gets damaged? does he do a chargeback thru paypal and I get screwed out of the money or does he get what its insured for?

can you purchase a shipping label for overseas stuff thru paypal? with the customs forms and everything?

Yes but the only option with USPS Is priority mail or express.
No first class
Also any Flat rate box option works

But it does print the whole customs form

Addressing multiple questions :

To be fully protected as a seller, NEVER declare lower value! Always insure your item. The buyer may "..Assume full responsibility..", up until something goes wrong, and after that, guess who is going to absorb any damage!
You can print all paperwork via paypal, as well as just print labels+custom declarations via the USPS site. My advice though - ALWAYS use Express Mail International to ship your collectibles! EMI is the only USPS methos that provides tracking with delivery confirmation, so the buyer can not clain the item was not received. If you are using Priority or First Class Mail, you are getting NOTHING, and have no way to prove delivery, so if the buyer claims item not received - You are screwed!.

Some will say " use fedex for tracking ". True, fedex might be a bit cheaper than EMI, but - The buyer will pay fedex fees for fuel surcharge, and essentially it will cost him more.

To sum it all - Use Express Mail only, and declare/insure FULL value.

Late to the party here but what I do is look at there feedback if they have all positive and are asking for me to add fees or pay as gift il pay as gift as 100% feedback score is assurance for me obviously there is a certain price il think hold up to much to risk but hey this is just my input

Late to the party here but what I do is look at there feedback if they have all positive and are asking for me to add fees or pay as gift il pay as gift as 100% feedback score is assurance for me obviously there is a certain price il think hold up to much to risk but hey this is just my input

still to risky for me. i always just pay the extra for fees. once i purchased something off a seller on this board who had 100% feedback with over 20 people leaving feedback. I never received the item and my many PM's weren't returned. thankfully i got my money back from paypal but if i paid as a gift i would never have got it back. That was my only bad time of dealing with ppl on this board. My other 20-30 transactions were great though

i would always recommend just paying the fees and dont risk it

I think there is no better INSURANCE in paying the 3 or 4% fee if its something you want bad enough. ask any veteran freak. we have had too many upstanding members go rogue. Im not sure how many went rogue but one upstanding member is too many in my book !

Don't want to start a thread for this but have paypal fees charged to a seller risen to over 5%?

My buyer paid $155 and I received $147.10. A little bit less than I anticipated. And unless I used it wrong that's also more than the online calculator worked out aswell.

As a seller I don't expect for buyer to be adding extra on top of whatever I charge nor do I expect to be expected to pay extra because I wouldn't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't want to start a thread for this but have paypal fees charged to a seller risen to over 5%?

My buyer paid $155 and I received $147.10. A little bit less than I anticipated. And unless I used it wrong that's also more than the online calculator worked out aswell.

Was it international? The add additional currency conversion fees.

I was selling to a guy in Argentina through USD. Me in Ireland. I deal international all the time, I've never seen paypal take that much before.

Last edited:
Back