dls712's - 1/6 Scale Displays - Star Wars & Others

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)

Batman!

To the left of the 1966 Batman/BTTF cabinet is another built-in… this one has a few levels, and has the glass covering installed over the front of it.

Top level is for the Hot Toys 1989 Batman and Batmobile. A generic back alley scene to show off the car and the figure. Pretty much done, but still needs some 1/6 scale garbage/leaves on the ground, and maybe a beat up old fence around the tank in the back corner.

Lower two levels show the Nicholson Joker with room on each side in case Hot Toys comes through with releasing the Burton-Batman Penguin and Catwoman. Lowest level is for Nolan-Batman figures. On the floor outside this built-in is the Tyco radio controlled Nolan-Batmobile.

And… within these three levels you get the first good glimpse into my obsession with creating & building with 1/6 scale bricks. Each brick is individually cut out of MDF board using a chop saw dedicated to the operation. Sometimes I “build” with pre-painted bricks. Sometimes I build with the bricks unpainted, then paint them after they are on the wall.

If I use pre-painted bricks… here is the process: Cut the individual bricks. Spray paint in groups of 50-to-100 bricks. Set up painting so groups get either light, medium, or heavy paint coverage.

Once dry, mix up the bricks, so when installed, there is a random color variation on the wall.

Bricks are installed by glueing each one individually to a backing board or pre-constructed structure. Spacing between bricks is done with thin strips of balsa. Once the bottom layer of bricks is attached, I put down a strip of spacer-balsa on top of that layer, and start all over again.

Once all of the bricks are installed, I take some concrete paste and rub it over the brick surface, making sure to push the mortar in-between all of the openings between the bricks. Then I wet-wipe off the surface of the bricks before the concrete dries. A day or so later, after the concrete dries, the result is a pretty decent looking brick wall/surface/building. Some of these brick-related projects take literally years to complete.

You are an artist man! And I know that you know that but anyway I have to say it ! :clap:clap:clap
Thanks for your kindly word about my country. I could say a lot of thing but this is not the right place! :gah:

Hemble - the plan is to watch the movies surrounded by the all of the cool figures!

Avengers

One of my newer favorite move scenes is the hero-shot in the original Avengers movie when the camera circles the team as they prepare to engage in the final battle with Loki and the aliens. I wanted to set up the Hot Toys characters in this way. Decided to make it into a table-top display in the middle of the room. Will likely have Loki and one of the Chitauri on a stand off to one side of this, with Nick Fury and Agent Coulson on the other side.

WWII Captain America on a tank

I have a number of WWII vehicles from earlier days when I collected 1/6 Scale WWII stuff. Besides this tank, I have a couple of US Jeeps, a Schwimmwagen, a Kettenkrad, a White Scout Car, a British SAS Jeep, and a (75% complete) custom built German Armored Rail Car.

Would like to incorporate some of them into future display plans. Down the road, displays featuring WWII Captain America & the Red Skull, The Rocketeer, Indiana Jones, Saving Private Ryan, and Hogan’s Heroes likely benefit from some of this hardware.

New York City Area - Ghostbusters HQ

At the other end of the basement display area - opposite the Indy Mine Cart wall - is an area that is set up to mimic a NYC street scene. The height of the basement allows for a 5-story building in 1/6 scale. I have five buildings started, and have room for a sixth. All buildings are in various stages of construction. The flooring in the NYC area is different than the rest of the room. The majority of the room has laminate wood-look flooring. The NYC area is gray tile to help with the illusion of the concrete city streets.

First up is the Ghostbusters HQ. About 75% complete.

Top window in the building showcases the four Ghostbusters and Slimer. Figures are Mattel outfits, Dragon bodies, and Spenser heads.

New York City Area - Generic Buildings

One of the main reasons I decided to do an area dedicated to NYC was to display superhero figures. Still need to figure out who goes where. The building on the left is the most complete of all of the NYC buildings. The first three stories of that building will ultimately be filled with furniture and such so they look like real, fleshed out rooms when you look in from the outside. Probably will make the ground level into a 1/6 scale Comic Book & Collectibles store. The two top stories are have boarded up windows.

The building to the right is being “built” with three different colored bricks. The loading dock and arched door were inspired from one of my favorite “atmosphere” buildings at Universal Studios in Florida.

To the right of that building is one that will ultimately be a hotel.

I have a number of 1/6 scale remote control cars that will populate the streets when the buildings are complete.

NYC Building #5

For some reason, there is one building on the lot at Universal Studios Florida that always catches my eye when we pass it. Decided to try to make a reasonable copy in my NYC area. On the left is a picture of the building at Universal. On the right is the current state of my 1/6 scale reproduction.

And… a closer shot of some of the detail work around the first story window.

Watchmen - Movie Promo Scene

When this movie was being promoted, there was one promo scene that I really liked. Decided to make my own version of it. The display is kind of “hidden” behind the building on the left side of the Hollywood Sign. My version is shown above photo that inspired it.

Watchmen - Movie Promo Scene

When this movie was being promoted, there was one promo scene that I really liked. Decided to make my own version of it. The display is kind of “hidden” behind the building on the left side of the Hollywood Sign. My version is shown above photo that inspired it.

have you looked into fibre optics? They make some that disperse the light throughout the whole length. It might work well for neon signs.

Natedog - I hadn't thought using fiber optics to mimic neon. Thanks for the tip!

Lighting these displays is always an adventure for me... not in my normal comfort zone. I learn something new with each project.

Re: dls712's - 1/6 Scale Displays - Star Wars & Others

Speechless......

Remember two days ago when we thought his Hoth display was cool? It gets better with each picture.

DLS.....what inspired you to do all of this? I started out with WWII as well 3 1/2 years ago when I got back into 1/6. You've taken this to an amazing level.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

jkidd - what inspired me to do this? Not sure. But now that I have started, I can't seem to stop.

pacman - thanks for looking.

Wow your set up and displays are just amazing. Your sets look like they are just out a movie backdrop. Well done and looking forward to seeing more.

Back