dls712's - 1/6 Scale Displays - Star Wars & Others

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow- talk about some hidden gems…. As if the Hoth hanger dio didn't already catch us of guard.

Those are some very interesting, as well as ambitious projects & ideas you got going on there. Thanks for sharing those with us. If you have any other pics please keep them coming.

All that and I come away with one comment.

"Someone actually has Jar Jar on display!"

jk :) Truly awesome WIPs. Looking forward to some more photos fo the missing items and the completed projects.

I have to come in Wisconsin and see with my eyes this great work man! How much is the tickets? There's a preorder list?

Natedog - regarding Jar Jar - what can I say - I bought the hype (and the figure) when The Phantom Menace hit the theaters. I know it is popular to hate on the prequels, but I still find them watchable. :)

Sturtup - you are welcome to visit any time. Maybe we can work out a “cultural exchange” - you stay at my place for two weeks while I hang out at your place. My wife and I did a tour of Italy a couple of years ago… but never got to Bologna. Wonderful country and culture.

Spudtrooper - more of the Temple of Doom display? Ask and you shall receive…

On to the non-Star Wars stuff…

Indiana Jones Mine Cart Scene

The project so far:
Probably the closest-to-finished thing in the basement. Started this right after we bought the house. 14.5 feet long. Spans the entire width of the display room. Built-in and attached to the ceiling. 21 inches high. 18-ish inches deep. The Indy figure is an old custom - with a head sculpt from Hero Heads. Will likely replace him when the Sideshow TOD Indy arrives. All the rest is custom built. The cart I made is not as nice as the recent ScratchBuilder/Brundledonk combo… but at the height it is displayed (8+ feet from the floor), looks pretty convincing. Red rope lights under the display slowly change in intensity so it almost has a “flowing lava” effect in person. Or at least that’s what I tell myself.

Still to do:
Probably will add lighting to the cart at some point. Might add some additional in-scale lighting over the tracks as well.

Also - Not Pictured -

An old store display case with some more Indy-related figures and such. Sideshow Map Room with Hot Toys Indy. Toht. Ark of the Covenant. Mutt with Crystal Skull. Belloq. Indy & Henry on motorcycle & sidecar (needs painting & weathering). Young Indy. Fertility Idol Pedestal. Need to work out how I want these to display.

And… here is the Indy scene as it sits above the Star Wars Hoth and Jabba’s Throne Room displays. (Ignore the Sandtrooper & Dewback that was on a shelf in-between me and display wall when I took the picture.)

Wow....Freaking amazing. Your wife must be very tolerant to let you do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkidd41011 - My wife is the best. Will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this year.

More…

Captain Jack Sparrow - on his sinking ship from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Figure is a custom. Hero Heads sculpt. Display is behind an arched 4-piece theater seating grouping. I also have the original Medicom and the Hot Toys DX versions of the figure. Probably will set up the Hot Toys one leaning on his ship’s wheel at some point.

The Mummy - generic “inside of a tomb” display. Still a lot to do to finish it off. This is situated behind the theater seating as well - on the other side. Will likely be the “final resting place” for the Sideshow Ardeth Bey figure. The round wooden dragon image in the right corner of the display will get used in a different spot if I ever decide to make a display for The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

More Mummy - just to the left of the theater seating is a (purchased) Egyptian pillar. Base under the pillar, wooden “scaffolding” around pillar, and figures are custom. Rick figure and Mummy figure have Hero Heads sculpts. The pillar is softly lit from below. Add the flickering tea lights in the next-door Mummy tomb display and you get an eerie look when the room lights go out. The images on the pillar are deeply etched/sculped into it… so the from-below lighting really makes them “pop.”

Hollywood Icons & Hollywood Sign

Directly behind the theater seating is this…I made the two displays for Charlie Chaplin and Marilyn Monroe. There is a small electric fan in the shelf underneath Marilyn… turn it on to recreate the “blown up skirt” scene from the movie The Seven Year Itch.

Need to come up with a shelving set up in-between these to put more “Hollywood Icon” figures on display… have the Hot Toys Godfather and James Dean, a custom John Wayne from Rio Bravo, and plus others that need a home. Might pick up the Laurel & Hardy sculpts from Spenser and put together a Music Box Stairs mini-dio here too. I built an 1/6 scale old west stagecoach a while ago… might put that in there with John Wayne.

Above/behind the theater seating is the Hollywood sign with the Hollywood Hills behind it. To the right and left of the sign are buildings designed to evoke the feel of “old” Hollywood. Building on the left is done, building on the right (picture below) needs to be finished up.

In front of the sign are various characters. Some will likely stay there, some will be moving to other areas when I finally get them built.

Chakaman - Thanks. Not done yet - floodgates are open!

Coming out of the ceiling

Alien coming through a grate in the ceiling. Needs to have some detail work added above the grate. And needs more ooze. Lots more ooze.

Big fan of the Men in Black franchise, and of the MIB ride down at Universal Orlando. I knew I needed to have a MIB-themed display. Decided to have a tentacled alien breaking through the ceiling and grabbing Agents J & K. The figures are some cheap-o ones that they had for sale at the MIB ride at Universal. I also picked up the Enterbay versions, plus the Boris the Animal figure from Dragon.

1950’s Sci-Fi

One of my favorite display areas in the basement. I like many of the schlocky classic sci-fi movies that came out in the 1950’s-1960’s. I knew I wanted to devote some display space to them. Decided on a shelf near the ceiling - same height off the floor as the Indy & Hollywood Sign displays.

Fifteen movies on display, all came out in the theaters in the 1950’s, and in are chronological order from left to right. Yep - I’m **** that way. I just received a 1/6 scale model of the aliens from the 1953 movie Invaders from Mars from my wife for Christmas… might need to bump one of the other 15 to sneak this one in.

1950’s Sci-Fi

On the far left of the display is a custom made drive-in movie sign with the name of my home town on it. The car is one of Barbie’s - needs a repaint to un-pink the undercarriage. The car looks like the one that Steve McQueen drives in the 1958 movie The Blob. I have a Steve McQueen figure from his TV run on Wanted: Dead or Alive. Mr. McQueen was in that series from 1958-1961… same vintage as his Blob movie. So… the figure I have will eventually be re-dressed for his character in The Blob, and be leaning up against his car.

Tree needs to be finalized. Fence posts are placed in front of the car - need to add the horizontal boards to complete the fence. Need to add a couple signs to the background fence - food-related drive-in type ads.

1950’s Sci-Fi

Now moving to the right…
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) - Gort & Klaatu - purchased figures
The Thing from Another World (1951) - The Thing - custom figure by Spenser
This Island Earth (1955) - Alien - purchased figure

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) - The Creature - purchased figure
The She Creature (1956) - She Creature - original Billiken model kit - still to build
Forbidden Planet (1956) - Robby the Robot - purchased figure

The Mole People (1956) - Mole Person - purchased figure
It Conquered the World (1956) - “Beulah” Alien - model kit - still to build
Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) - Alien - started a custom figure

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) - HO-scale figure running from 1/6 scale cat
Invasion of the Saucer-Men (1957) Three of the SaucerMan - purchased figures
The Monster that Challenged the World (1957) - Monster custom figure & vat - need to finish

And the last three… partially obscured by some Marvel movie figures
The Blob (1958) - The Blob! - custom blobbage
The Hideous Sun Demon (1959) - Hideous Sun Demon - purchased figure
Return of the Fly (1959) - The Fly - purchased figure.

Superheroes & Back to the Future

Underneath the right end of the 1950’s Sci Fi display is a custom cabinet. On top - out in the open - is a not-yet-finalized smattering of some Marvel movie figures. I have many more of these characters either still in boxes or on pre-order. Love the comic book movie characters.

Below that is some under-glass room for the Hot Toys 1966 Batmobile if they ever decide to release it. Started building this when Hot Toys first announced that they would be making the car. The glass used for this part of the cabinet actually came from an all-glass table - made from one piece of glass - I flipped it on its side, then added a base and top for it. So… the glass surface you see as the front of the display is actually the top of the glass table. The glass surfaces that are the sides of the display are actually the legs of the table… hope that makes sense. The floor and backdrop of the display are made to look like the rocky inside of the TV Bat Cave.

Under that is a simple display for the soon-to-be released Hot Toys Delorean from Back to the Future. Marty is already in there. The Porsche is a stand-in for the Delorean until it arrives. The floor of the display is made to look like a blacktop parking lot, with parking stall lines painted on it. Walls are painted black. I have a flashing white strobe light hidden behind the car that I can activate with a remote control device… kinda looks like the lightning flashing that happens when the car hits 88 MPH. Flat piece of glass covers the display.

Under that is open space… to be determined.

Hey I just recovered from seeing the first dio..................then I come back to seeing the rest of these posts..........:thud:

Back