District 9

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this tonight. Great movie. Very original. Felt like a mix between Blood Diamond and Half-life. Best movie of the year. Hopefully they'll come out with an extended edition.

Star Trek, Terminator 4, TransFormers, GI Joe, District 9.

Star Trek was my top for the summer so far, so if you say D9 is better, then I'm cautiously stoked.

It's better than Transformers, T4, and GiJoe combined. No caution necessary. If you like really good filmaking and sci fi and not just popcorn poop.

My thoughts (posted under movies forum too):

I loved it. Why? It was more original and creative and really well done.
It made Transformers, Terminator and GiJoe, well...not that great.

The effects were so good. So good, they didn't look like effects. The Aliens, the weapons, the ship, just fit well into this world, as if it was reality.
And for me that came across pretty good.
Still overall a Sci-fi flick, but you can't deny they tried to really bring a gritty realism to it.
They also didn't need to hide the Aliens in a few choice shots or in the dark or something. They were out and about in the break of day interacting with people and everything else, as if they were just there.
They did a good job on them.
The alien weapons were bad ass. Right out of a video game like Half Life or something.
And I loved how it was violent and held nothing back. If you got disintegrated by an energy rifle, you got gibbed to pieces. And it happened alot. Loved it lol

I actually felt sorry for the Aliens.
The alien design would make a good figure! I would say Hot Toys 12 inch could pull it off.

And the Mech...was bad ass. Don't even get me started! lol

It really makes me hope that Cameron's Avatar when it comes out, has the same level of quality and realism in it's CGI with the Mechs and aliens.

Production was top notch in this movie. Best movie of the summer for me, behind Star Trek.

WOW I was going to see it tonight but decided to wait until tomorrow to see what viewers think. I am pumped now! :rock

Just saw this tonight. Great movie. Very original. Felt like a mix between Blood Diamond and Half-life. Best movie of the year. Hopefully they'll come out with an extended edition.
i've already read an interview with Blomcamp stating there will be an extended version on dvd.
even the trailers had stuff that didn't end up in theaters (alien interview/interrogation scene).

as much as i liked this movie, i've always wanted to see his short film Yellow to get a big screen treatment. it's amazing.

I saw District 9 this afternoon and definitely give it thumbs way up!
Very original and very smart.
I thought the efx were spectacular.
Maybe Mr. Jackson can get Weta to do some figures and the mech would be awesome!

dammit, i'm watching this in a few hours' time and i still can't wait!

this come outta NOWHERE and now it's about to be everywhere! on critics' best-of lists, on internet forums, watercooler discussions...

and HELL YEAH, i want ht to do some figures from this movie! the aliens and mechas look absolutely badass!

I've been waiting to see this movie for a while since I heard about it. I saw it tonight and was really nervous because of all the other disappointing releases this year. So I reserved judgment till I actually saw it....and let me say FREAKEN AWESOME!
Man, finally something NEW and original....although in that one scene where his nails fell off it kinda reminded me of Jeff goldblum in "The fly". Actually, now that I think of it....those prawns actually looked like the fly:rolleyes:
None the less awesome movie, great plot, good action, good acting, good CG....it covered all the bases.

I cant wait for Avatar to come out now....if that one turns out to be a hit both of these will be my favorite movies of 2009.

Chris

A great movie but wished they had dropped the documentary style from the start because it just vanishes about half way through and is a much better movie for it. The Aliens were uninspired as well, to me more mechanical than organic. And for the love of God, does no director of photography anywhere use a tripod anymore. :banghead That said, the action scenes absolutely totally :rock

I agree on the tripod, My wife and I loved the film, but there were times when the shakey camcorder style were just unnessessary and actually detracted from the sceen. At times that style is needed in the film, but I felt it got a little carried away and my wife actually got nautious at one point due to filming style. guns were frikin awesome though...don't know that it was better than trek, just different. Trek is too clean and this, this is a lot grittier.

I loved it for its original take on Alien Nation (sort of). This thing had great character development, especially the Aliens. This is the first time I've seen a movie full of CG, and not once did the CG take me out of the movie.

The Alien technology and weapons were awesome. The exosuit was very cool. But... (mega spoile alert. If you haven't seen it, don't read this)
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
(mega spoiler alert. If you haven't seen it, don't read this)
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

awesome movie!!! can't wait for District 10 to come out. i hope the dude gets transformed back and still retains his ability to use the alien weaponry.

I loved it for its original take on Alien Nation (sort of). This thing had great character development, especially the Aliens. This is the first time I've seen a movie full of CG, and not once did the CG take me out of the movie.

The Alien technology and weapons were awesome. The exosuit was very cool. But... (mega spoile alert. If you haven't seen it, don't read this)
Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

and hairlesswookie... have some tact and use the SPOILER TAG when talking about major plot points in movies that just got released. come on.

interview with the director.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/ES2dxbMCM7U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/ES2dxbMCM7U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I thought the movie took alittle to long to start... then when the action came it went then came back again... was a good movie but could have been better... I have my owen ideas of what could have been...

Dammit, Neil Blomkamp and Peter Jackson have to do the Halo movie. After seeing District 9, it just fits. Like a glove.

As for the movie itself, I liked it, but I thought it kind of faltered halfway through and turned into a plain action flick.

Cool designs for the aliens and technology though. I'd buy collectibles based on the film if available.

Dammit, Neil Blomkamp and Peter Jackson have to do the Halo movie. After seeing District 9, it just fits. Like a glove.

As for the movie itself, I liked it, but I thought it kind of faltered halfway through and turned into a plain action flick.

Cool designs for the aliens and technology though. I'd buy collectibles based on the film if available.
Blomkamp's Halo 3 ads were pretty epic. i wish the games were that entertaining.
D9 definitely had a better story, so i'm glad the Halo movie got canned.

Back