did your hot toys' batteries leak?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

did your hot toys batteries leak?

• yes.

Votes: 41 24.0%
  • no.

Votes: 97 56.7%
  • don't know, still factory sealed.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • don't have any hot toys figures with batteries.

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters
The first release of mk 7 does not have the battery in the figure ?

No figure comes with the battery preinstalled. They are in a separate enclosed tray in the box. Any battery issues that can damage the figure occurs after you open the box and install the batteries.

No figure comes with the battery preinstalled. They are in a separate enclosed tray in the box. Any battery issues that can damage the figure occurs after you open the box and install the batteries.

That wasn't always the case though. On older Iron Men they cam preinstalled and you had to remove a plastic tab to "activate" them. I remember having to take out all the batteries from Mark II Unleashed.

Correct, many if not all pre-2015ish Hot Toys came with batteries installed (excepting large vehicles Bat Pod, Light Cycle and the Tumbler).

Sometimes, I forget.
AfCDw8o.jpg

If it’s mint in the box you should be fine. The batteries are not in the figure. Pretty slim chance there are any issues.

Yeah that's not true at all, the original Mark 7 came with batteries in it. I know because I had it and had to take them out and store them with tape, which is pictured a few posts above this. The diecasts started the battery tray option, IM3 War Machine 2 was the first.

I presume the risk increases with time - is there any data on the lifespan of batteries before they leak? I have some HT figures that have been sealed in the box up to a decade.

I presume the risk increases with time - is there any data on the lifespan of batteries before they leak? I have some HT figures that have been sealed in the box up to a decade.

I have some unboxed from way back as well. I guess itll depend on temperature and humidity? I've always thought on a rainy day I'll open them but I still have an unboxed ucs falcon version 1 in the basement.

I’ve decided to go through my HTs to make sure there are no batteries in them. I don’t install the batteries on any of my new figures, so I’ll just have to check my second hand purchases. Although, I’m worried about light up helmeted heads of figures like Star Lord, Ant Man, Iron Spider, etc. I saw a post about WM having the batteries installed in the helmet. Is this on the diecast figures too? I’m feeling paranoid and may be checking all of my figures soon.

Hard wiring is the only way to enjoy the light up features and not have the ball ache of trying to turn each switch on manually when you want to see your collection fully illuminated. I have never used batteries and love to have my collection with their features on so I went straight to hard wired. I have 18 figures using this and they all look so much better with their light on.

Hard wiring is the only way to enjoy the light up features and not have the ball ache of trying to turn each switch on manually when you want to see your collection fully illuminated. I have never used batteries and love to have my collection with their features on so I went straight to hard wired. I have 18 figures using this and they all look so much better with their light on.

Could you go a little more in depth about how you did that? I'm having a display case built for my figures, and that's one of the things i was thinking about having built into, but haven't started thinking about the logistics of it yet.

Could you go a little more in depth about how you did that? I'm having a display case built for my figures, and that's one of the things i was thinking about having built into, but haven't started thinking about the logistics of it yet.
Of course. I purchased a device called a soap reactor which does what you need. This is what you wanna get

It would be shocking if they haven't leaked in a decade. The batteries pre-installed are super cheap, they can even go off in a year or two

Of course. I purchased a device called a soap reactor which does what you need. This is what you wanna get

Soap reactors are nice but very pricey. All you need is a spool of wire, wooden dowels, tacs or metal conductor, and a power source. You could hard wire atleast 20 iron men for less than $50. One soap reactor costs over $100 and can power maybe 6 lights?

I hard wired my hall of armors (side walls) and thought about doing all my iron men. The battery areas for them are really tiny. Plus I dont like seeing exposed wire. I'm still debating it because it will be some work.

Everything in life boils down to, two things: either pay more or do more.

Soap reactors are nice but very pricey. All you need is a spool of wire, wooden dowels, tacs or metal conductor, and a power source. You could hard wire atleast 20 iron men for less than $50. One soap reactor costs over $100 and can power maybe 6 lights?

I hard wired my hall of armors (side walls) and thought about doing all my iron men. The battery areas for them are really tiny. Plus I dont like seeing exposed wire. I'm still debating it because it will be some work.

Everything in life boils down to, two things: either pay more or do more.
Totally agree with you. Soap reactors are pricey, they are convenient and very easy to set up and a better option if you are are incapable of trying to have a go at some DIY ( which is myself ). Hence why I went with pay more. Although my reactors were gifts from family members over 2 Christmas and a birthday.

Totally agree with you. Soap reactors are pricey, they are convenient and very easy to set up and a better option if you are are incapable of trying to have a go at some DIY ( which is myself ). Hence why I went with pay more. Although my reactors were gifts from family members over 2 Christmas and a birthday.

I'm all for easy plug and play. If I could trick my wife into gifting me several soap reactors I would. They look great and perform flawlessly. I have all of my lights on different smart devices. I'm still looking at a way to wire up my figures with minimal wire showing. Pretty hard in a frameless all glass display.

I'm all for easy plug and play. If I could trick my wife into gifting me several soap reactors I would. They look great and perform flawlessly. I have all of my lights on different smart devices. I'm still looking at a way to wire up my figures with minimal wire showing. Pretty hard in a frameless all glass display.
I think you should go for an early Christmas present excuse with the wife!! Never works for me but always worth a shout LOL! God knows how you can wire your figures on a glass display. Alike you said it’s pretty impossible unless you can stomach seeing the wires which most collectors would not want to see. My shelf is open with white shelf’s. I have tried to hide them as much as possible but you can still see them.

I think you should go for an early Christmas present excuse with the wife!! Never works for me but always worth a shout LOL! God knows how you can wire your figures on a glass display. Alike you said it?s pretty impossible unless you can stomach seeing the wires which most collectors would not want to see. My shelf is open with white shelf?s. I have tried to hide them as much as possible but you can still see them.

Honestly I like tinkingering and doing DIY. No need to trick the wife as there aren't rules or limits on funds.

The main issue is seeing any wire at all. It ruins the illusion for me. Maybe I'll start with my hulkbuster and mark 43 that resides in it (fighting hulk). If that goes well maybe igor, iron monger vs mark iii and the gantry. Those guys are on the bottom and the base is black so the wires would "disappear ".

Honestly I like tinkingering and doing DIY. No need to trick the wife as there aren't rules or limits on funds.

The main issue is seeing any wire at all. It ruins the illusion for me. Maybe I'll start with my hulkbuster and mark 43 that resides in it (fighting hulk). If that goes well maybe igor, iron monger vs mark iii and the gantry. Those guys are on the bottom and the base is black so the wires would "disappear ".
Sounds cool. You got any pictures of your set up?

Back