Exploding Detolf Shelf?!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah gods, very glad that for the most part everything's ok! Hope your Superman is salvageable.

Yeah the same thing that means the glass doesn't form large deadly dagger-like shards, is unfortunately the exact same thing that means it occasionally spontaneously shatters. The glass is internally pre-stressed, makes it tougher, and makes the broken pieces smaller, but it can also lead to what you experienced.

.........GREAT! Now, I can add exploding detolfs to my long list of irrational **** that scares the crap out of me. I will have to put this one right below super-volcanos and bed bugs.

It just happened to the front glass (door) of a brand new detolf yesterday. I have 7 detolf's, which I have owned since about 2010-2011. Last Monday I bought seven more to finally put up my backlog of collectibles still in boxes. As I was building the first of new seven, the front glass exploded in my hands. It did not touch anything (other than my hands), but it exploded. And yes, the crackling and popping is normal. Its never happened to me with a detolf but I have seen it happen before. Unfortunately, I think its normal. Just gotta cross your fingers that it doesn't happen when your collectibles are actually in/on it.

All that being said, the quality of the detolf glass has changed. This pic is of the new shelves compared to the old one from 2010-2011. (New one is on the left.) I'll be making a separate thread on the quality as I think people should know.

Back