Detolf Cabinet Quality Change

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

draekus

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all. Figured this deserved its own thread since I could not find any mention of this when I performed a search.

The quality of the detolf glass has changed. I have 7 detolfs that I purchase back in 2010-2011. Last Monday I bought seven MORE to finally put up my backlog of collectibles still in boxes. This pic is of the new shelves (2016) compared to the old ones from 2010-2011. (New one is on the left.)

The change in glass thickness/color is only to the sides and rear glasses. The front glass door appears to be the same thicker/green-edged glass as the older shelves. That being said...
As I was building the first of new seven, the front glass exploded in my hands. It did not touch anything (other than my hands), when it exploded. Its never happened to me with a detolf but I have seen it happen before and know its pretty normal with all glass furniture. Just gotta cross your fingers that it doesn't happen when your collectibles are actually in/on it.

Huh, that explains their price drop. Last time I went to Ikea I noticed the price went down from what I originally paid for the 4 I own. They used to be pretty good, I recently had to move mine and loaded them on the back of car and truck laying down (all set up), went through speed bumps and pot holes without a single issue.

Not gonna lie, this is enough reason for me to not buy another one again.

Back