Dear Sideshow: "Bust Dioramas" ARE NOT "Vs Dioramas"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Viking28 said:
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that there is more to this piece than previewed...

Even if it's just a Bust Diorama I feel confident the base will be very detailed and compliment the sculpt well. Martin is the man.

Viking28 said:
And the FF thing I still think it is pretty cool, because a)its based on the comics not the movie b) they were able to include everybody.

Anything based on the comics is better than most things based in the movies. That's just the comic fan and collector in me. :cool:

The Fantastic 4 piece worked because it was advertised as a diorama (that just happened to be made as a bust). It was also very stylish with the big logo, the Torch's flame and the Mr Fantastic stretch crossing each other and all that. Not to mention the exclusive was great. These work very well for artistic renditions of groups, but it gets tricky when you have characters against each other. People always will wonder:

1. It would have been MUCH cooler in full scale Vs diorama form...

2. Does this mean that we won't see these characters again in full Vs Diorama since they have just been done in a Bust Diorama?

SolidLiquidFox said:
Even if it's just a Bust Diorama I feel confident the base will be very detailed and compliment the sculpt well. Martin is the man.

Yea I just cant see them leaving the base like that and there's nothing else to the sculpt.

Viking28 said:
Yea I just cant see them leaving the base like that and there's nothing else to the sculpt.

I sure hope you're right. Any guesses as to the location of this battle? Where does this fight take place, and what kind of environment would you like to see in the larger base?

Great thread Solid! I agree 100%! The legless vs. pieces aren't should be under a different catogories, or better, they should be discontinued! They aren't nowhere as good as the other ones.

Bodie The Cursed said:
This thread makes me happy that I only collect the 1/4's:eek:

...well, Thing is missing 1/4 of his body? Does that count?

I'm just wondering if the VS. line even exists anymore. For all we know (well, for all I know) they could have lost the license- whichever one that the VS. line applied to, or suffered some other manner of behind-the-scenes technicalities.

gabberjawa said:
I'm just wondering if the VS. line even exists anymore. For all we know (well, for all I know) they could have lost the license- whichever one that the VS. line applied to, or suffered some other manner of behind-the-scenes technicalities.

I don't know--it's been less than two months since the Captain America preorder. Before that, it was a six month gap (working backwards) between that and the Hulk VS. Spidey, and another six month gap between that and the X-Men VS. Sentinel, and about five months between that and the Wolverine diorama. I am used to getting about one announcement in this line every six months or so. Next January or February, if we don't get another full sized VS. piece, then we can start to worry.

90001.jpg
9001.jpg
9002.jpg
90041.jpg

tomandshell said:
I don't know--it's been less than two months since the Captain America preorder. Before that, it was a six month gap (working backwards) between that and the Hulk VS. Spidey, and another six month gap between that and the X-Men VS. Sentinel, and about five months between that and the Wolverine diorama. I am used to getting about one announcement in this line every six months or so. Next January or February, if we don't get another full sized VS. piece, then we can start to worry.

Right, but the too-similar-for-comfort 'bust dioramas' are what's bringing the question up, not the distance of time we've had to wait since the last (Capt.) I think the VS. line is one of the best things Sideshow has on the plate. I would love to see its continued growth.

gabberjawa said:
Right, but the too-similar-for-comfort 'bust dioramas' are what's bringing the question up, not the distance of time we've had to wait since the last (Capt.) I think the VS. line is one of the best things Sideshow has on the plate. I would love to see its continued growth.

They only got Martin and Pablo working on these. The line can only expand at a certain rate of time. If we don't see a full size Vs piece by the end of the year and instead we see a couple more Bust Dioramas then I would be concerned...

tomandshell said:

I just think that the smaller bust style pieces are in addition to the traditional VS. pieces we know and love. As long as we continue to get the big pieces every six months, they can put out as many bust style dioramas as they want.

tomandshell said:
I just think that the smaller bust style pieces are in addition to the traditional VS. pieces we know and love. As long as we continue to get the big pieces every six months, they can put out as many bust style dioramas as they want.

That's the main problem I have with this whole drama. Calling Spidey vs Venom a "Vs Diorama" has thrown out our unofficial assumptions out the window. Now even the labeling has become bogus when an announcement is made. It's frustrating when you are budgeting accordingly for the next release. Now Sideshow says "diorama" and instead of excitement you got speculation on who will be "cut in half".

We can expect the usual Vs piece every 6 months or so but we have no idea what the deal is with the Bust Dioramas or how they will affect future releases of the Vs line. The way I see it, our possibilities of getting certain characters in a Vs Diorama have been restricted by these new busts as they'll avoid repeats on similar lines.

Funny, but unrelated. The dimensions on these seemed to change from the SS product shots. The Wolvie VS. is more like 15" tall, and Hulk is MUCH MORE than 14". :confused:

SolidLiquidFox said:
The way I see it, our possibilities of getting certain characters in a Vs Diorama have been restricted by these new busts as they'll avoid repeats on similar lines.

I can agree with you there. Some people may be waiting for a particular character to get the full blown VS. treatment, and if it becomes one of the smaller ones instead, it would be unlikely to be redone in the full format any time soon. It's kind of like the relationship between the 12" and 1/4 scale Star Wars lines as far as character choices go--like it or not, the presence of a character (or certain version of a character) in one line impacts the chances of it turning up right away in the other.

However, maybe we will see a huge, detailed environmental base on the Spidey/Venom piece when it goes up for order this week and we can feel more comfortable thinking of it as a regular VS. diorama. I have naive hopes that the final version will somehow satisfy us all and settle the controversy.

Back