DC Direct 1/4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious who DC Direct perceives as DC's #4 guy is. It's basically between Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) or The Flash (Barry Allen) and after them it gets blurry. :huh

I just say GL because that was their 2nd 13" and it did very well. Also the GL related comics are in a renaissance right now. And Hal Jordan is back.

With Flash they'd go with Barry - but Flash hasn't been Barry for 20 years. Is it Wally, Bart, some other guy?

I think you guys will be happy with #4.

I haven't worked on the line since WW but I've been campaigning for a Joker for a long time. So far DC is non-responsive, but I'd think they would plan one eventually.

Is it staying a secret for now ?

Would love to see a Joker especially after how good the 1:2 Bust looks, If it's in that style definetly sign me up

Just saw Mr. Bergholtz post on the subject that more statues are in the works. Actually, my bubble isn't burst. I don't think my local comic retailer will be broken hearted either. I'm glad to read that a fourth figure is going to be made and I hope the 1/4 scale line can sustain at least long enough for a Hal Jordan Green Lantern and a Barry Allen Flash.

I want a Shazam. Hopefully he'll be sculpted to look like hes 21, and cheerful, and not some middle aged angry, or "edgy" guy. Shazam is a kid who is magically transformed into a full grown man who is super strong. That doesn't mean he should look OLD, just full grown. I'm really annoyed with the renditions of Shazam that look like he's 40 years old.

I want a Shazam. Hopefully he'll be sculpted to look like hes 21, and cheerful, and not some middle aged angry, or "edgy" guy. Shazam is a kid who is magically transformed into a full grown man who is super strong. That doesn't mean he should look OLD, just full grown. I'm really annoyed with the renditions of Shazam that look like he's 40 years old.

Personally, I want a CAPTAIN MARVEL figure, not a statue of the wizard who gave him his powers (Shazam), regardless of what age they choose to make him. A 21- or even 40-year-old wizard is gonna look awfully strange; most renditions of Shazam that I've seen make him look ancient. :)

Personally, I want a CAPTAIN MARVEL figure, not a statue of the wizard who gave him his powers (Shazam), regardless of what age they choose to make him. A 21- or even 40-year-old wizard is gonna look awfully strange; most renditions of Shazam that I've seen make him look ancient. :)

Ahh, very well. The names are interchangeable. The Mego figure was called Shazam, as have been many others, including the DC 13" figure. I think part of the problem is the Marvel Comics character Captain marvel. As an aside, I think it really sucks that DC was able to successfully sue Whiz Comics for making Captain Marvel a "copyright infringement" of Superman, as if flying, a cape, and super strength equals copyright infringement. I mean, If THAT is really copyright infringement, what about Sub-Mariner and Aquaman, or the Flash and Quicksilver? So now DC owns Shazam, and always treats his as a far second to Superman, who is an inferior and flawed character, compared to Shazam. Superman came from a planet with a red sun and moved to a planet with a yellow sun, and THAT is supposed to give him powers? I don't think that exposure to more intense sunlight will give him any more than a bad case of sunburn, realistically. Other than that, Superman, IF he gets his powers from the yellow sun, shouldn't be able to leave this solar system, because his powers should be directly proportional to his proximity to our yellow sun. At first, when all Superman could do was JUMP, this wasn't a problem, but since he can leave the Earth's atmosphere, ridiculous. Shazam, or Captain marvel's powers are magical, and you can do anything with magic. Plus, Shazam has the best secret identity. Superman's sucks. Are we really supposed to believe that glasses alone will fool everyone? Stupid.

The name Shazam! is only used on packaging due to the fact that when Fawcett comics discontinued the character Marvel Comics jumped on the name for one of their characters (now 3 of 4 characters) and now holds the copyright to the name. So that's why everything's labeled up as Shazam!

and when your design brief for the character is "make me a Superman but make him a 12 year old boy" there's going to be some similarities.

Plus he looks as old as he does (originally anyway) because the look was based on Fred MacMurray who would've been 31 at the time Captain Marvel was created.

The reason DC was annoyed was that during the 40's Captain Marvel was outselling Superman by quite a large amount which is why they stepped in to put a stop to it. But the matter dragged through the courts for years.

Is all about the cha-ching! at the end of the day.

Well I finally got my shipping notice for Supes from StatueToys. I had to call and hassle them a little to get it, but I finally got a response. They were planning on just shipping him with WW and charging me twice for shipping :lol

Here's hoping Supes doesn't look as retarded in person! :rock

Ahh, very well. The names are interchangeable. The Mego figure was called Shazam, as have been many others, including the DC 13" figure. I think part of the problem is the Marvel Comics character Captain marvel.

Yeah, I was just goofin'. It has pissed me off for 35 years that DC couldn't use the character's name (Captain Marvel) as the title of his comic or Saturday morning TV show because Marvel "squatted" on the name in the late-60's. While I liked Marvel's Kree Captain Marvel, there really has been nothing of merit done with the name since Jim Starlin killed off Mar-Vell in the early 80's. As Nocturne mentions, there have been 3 or 4 lame characters who have used the name in the last 30+ years, solely to keep the copyright away from DC. The worst of that bunch was the female character who now goes by the name Photon.
It won't happen, but I think it's time Marvel relinquished the name to DC, so that it can be used again as the title for the Golden Age great.

It just seems ironic that DC now have a character called Captain Marvel doesn't it :lol

I've never read any of the solo stuff only when he's been integrated with the rest of the DCU, but you have to love the way the character was depicted in Kingdom Come.
Plus the Alex Ross way of drawing him is awesome.

Yeah, I was just goofin'. It has pissed me off for 35 years that DC couldn't use the character's name (Captain Marvel) as the title of his comic or Saturday morning TV show because Marvel "squatted" on the name in the late-60's. While I liked Marvel's Kree Captain Marvel, there really has been nothing of merit done with the name since Jim Starlin killed off Mar-Vell in the early 80's. As Nocturne mentions, there have been 3 or 4 lame characters who have used the name in the last 30+ years, solely to keep the copyright away from DC. The worst of that bunch was the female character who now goes by the name Photon.
It won't happen, but I think it's time Marvel relinquished the name to DC, so that it can be used again as the title for the Golden Age great.
Yeah, I knew you were goofin. lol, however, it WOULD be nice to have a "the wizard Shazam" figure, with a throne, since it hasn't been done, yet.

Frankly, I think that DC has been deliberately holding Shazam back all these decades, because Superman is their baby. Superman NEEDS protection from Shazam, because Captain Marvel kicked Superman's butt so bad at the newsstands decades ago. Didn't they make Shazam evil, recently? Adds credence to what I'm saying. I think it's why there has been no major Shazam or Captain marvel movie yet, and there have been 5 Superman ones. 2 of which sucked. 1 of which, the last one, was ok, however, I liked looking at Kate Bosworth, so that might be why.

It just seems ironic that DC now have a character called Captain Marvel doesn't it :lol

I've never read any of the solo stuff only when he's been integrated with the rest of the DCU, but you have to love the way the character was depicted in Kingdom Come.
Plus the Alex Ross way of drawing him is awesome.

I'm really partial to the Power Of Shazam graphic novel. That was great. I really liked how the character was portrayed in that.

Back