Premium Format DC Comics Superman Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so no need for the heated argument as I do realize what the likes of Kirby, Kane, Ditko, and Romita have brought to the industry. Totally with you there so PLEASE put the pitchfork down ... Lol.

As for Lees importance and ability there we DO have an issue that is actually very hard to debate. I disagree that there are SO many more artists out there who can do work of a better quality. However, and here is where it DOES get tricky. The question becomes how much of Lees polish and finish is solely the work of Jim Lee, and how much of it is because Scott Williams, who is MASTER INKER, has been inking his work for what 25 years? I will admit even though I am a huge Lee fan I don't own the "Unwrapped" pencils only version of Hush because I can't get by the fact that I like the Williams inked version more. However, how much of that is Lee phoning it because he KNOWS Williams will save his butt or how much of it is lack of skill I don't know.

Not to get into a heated argument but what do you disagree with, Kirby's importance in comic book art? that his fingerprint on the medium far eclipses Jim's?

No, not all Kirby worked on was gold, but the majority was and never as bad as Heroes reborn, which by anyone's standard was total tosh.

Again Jimbo's current work with DC shows his limits, his poor design brain and the fact that he, like many of his 90s Image colleges(Liefeld I'm looking at you) aped other artist in their formative years instead of learning the basics, like proper anatomy.
As I said before I appreciated Jim for what he is, and he's a gent in person too, but even you must concede he's a better business man than he is an artist.

Off the top of my head I can think off at least 5 guys who can do big bold Superhero stuff better than Lee, and at least 10 guys who are streets ahead of Jim in terms of storytelling and all round comic book artistry. But I guess we'll agree to disagree my man.

Off the top of my head I can think off at least 5 guys who can do big bold Superhero stuff better than Lee, and at least 10 guys who are streets ahead of Jim in terms of storytelling and all round comic book artistry. But I guess we'll agree to disagree my man.

Yeah ... I did that a page ago ... lol. Art is subjective, and often personal preference and what you grew up on really does influence your views. I REALLY got back into art when Jim Lee was JUST hitting it big, and he influenced me. There are many great artists out there of course, but he is one of my favs. Who are yours??? Please with some current examples as well so I can look them up :D

Way too many to mention but with the risk of going even more of topic than we already are, I'd say guys like Mike Deodato, Lee Bermejo, Jerome Opena and Esad Ribic are doing great work with Superheroes at the minute. Great energy and movement in their pencils and great story telling chops too and for non supers, seeing as it's just finished I think R. M. Guéra's work on Scalped is worth a mention too.

Did you just say streets ahead? NIOOOOCE.

Been reading books for years and its a losing battle to try and dethrone lee, true there is lots of talent out there but most of it will come and go.

In lees defense at sdcc during a live drawing he talked about how his sight is going bad from years of drawing and it is affecting him

As already said Jim Lee sells and he's popular, not trying to "dethrone" the man at all, but I think his worth and ability is somewhat overstated here, especially in regards to Supes.

Not to get involved with the debate, I just love good comic art; can you name some of these people? I'd like to check out their work

Been reading books for years and its a losing battle to try and dethrone lee, true there is lots of talent out there but most of it will come and go.

In lees defense at sdcc during a live drawing he talked about how his sight is going bad from years of drawing and it is affecting him

Frazetta had a stroke and lost use of his right arm...know what he did? Learned to paint with his left. Now that's dedication.

Jim Lee created the best interpretation of Superman in 2011 for the DC re-launch 'New 52'. These old guys of which u speak (Kirby? Byrne? Who the **** are they lol) are irrelevant.

This%2Bpleases%2BHan%2BTrollo%2B_54a0357d05f8e55fba7d85996429c452.jpg

PROBLEM?

All these threads have turned into who's be better artist and who had most impact on comic history, while I understand how it applies the the subject let's go back to talking about the statue. :)

And how much Alex Ross sucks. :D

Jim Lee might be a great artist, but he's an awful costume designer.

the only reason why you or anyone else feels that way is because comic geeks cant let go of the past. they want something new but something "similar" to what they know and love. finding that threshold is like finding the end of a rainbow. it's just a bunch of bs and reason for geeks to ***** and moan.

all the old school artists that you guys speak of...yeah they may have great storytelling abilities or reshaped the industry (in their time), but you compare their art to some artists now and it is just retarded how you can say their art is better. it's basically like archie comics type of art that you hold so highly. :lol laughable.

Because taking out the briefs and adding lines all over the costume makes Jim Lee a good costume designer, oh and the collars too lol.

Anyway, lots of comic artists today have been inspired by Jim Lee. Puts him up there in my opinion. But I do think he's a bit overrated, or at least over marketed. I'd prefer Greg Capullo over Jim Lee. Lee has a problem with facial and body variety. And with artists like Capullo (and especially Francis Manapul), they use creativity in their panels.

I do agree that art now has evolved from back then though. It'd be shame if it didn't. But its also true that a lot of comic artists today have serious anatomy problems.

A lot of artists back the had serious anatomy problems. However, many of today's artists of today aren't as classically trained and so know "comic book artist" anatomy. Which is exaggerated and looks cool, but it is flawed. Hell I am trying to unlearn SO many bad habits. However, realize that many of the guys that have work we love to look at have wonky anatomy. It is a trade off.

the fact the Lee designed the new 52 is unheard of in DC, good or bad, just the ability to do so speaks volumes about the full capabilities of an artist

Back