DC Collectibles: DC Designer Series The Joker By Brian Bolland Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anybody tell me if these two are the same height. I think DC Collectibles measures their height with the base. On the other hand, I think Kotobukiya measures their height without the base.

And which one do you think goes better with the DC Designer Series Batman by Andy Kubert? The DC Collectibles version?

DC DESIGNER SERIES: THE JOKER BY BRIAN BOLLAND STATUE
Designed by BRIAN BOLLAND
Sculpted by DAVID GIRAUD
Straight from the Eisner Award-winning graphic novel BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, acclaimed artist Brian Bolland’s rendition of The Joker gets the Designer Series treatment! Bolland’s version of the Clown Prince of Crime is one of the most iconic, recognizable renditions of the character!
Limited Edition of 5,000
Measures Approximately 13.71” Tall
$150.00 US • On Sale JULY 2017
Allocations May Occur
DC_Designer_Series_Bolland_Joker_1.jpg

KOTOBUKIYA KILLING JOKE JOKER STATUE
The Joker -Killing Joke- 2nd Edition stands 12 inches tall (1/6th scale) on his special updated display base featuring the Red Hood costume. The Joker is an incredible statue capturing one of the most famous graphic novels of all time, and he’ll look great on display or alongside other DC Comics-inspired statues from Kotobukiya like the Batman Black Costume version.
kotobukiya-joker-the-killing-joke-statue-2.jpg

In theory I like this, but looking at it, I just don't think it quite works. I think it would have worked better as a mini bust or a 1/4 scale bust. From the chest down, it's pretty boring. I would give the Kotobukiya the edge there. Including the Red Hood helmet is a very nice touch and it makes the pose more dynamic and interesting. I think I'll pass.

The Koto will be slightly smaller & it's Vinyl. The DCD one will match up better with the DK statue and is resin. That's the one I'm getting.

The Koto will be slightly smaller & it's Vinyl. The DCD one will match up better with the DK statue and is resin. That's the one I'm getting.

The DC Designer Series Joker is what I have ordered right now, too. But I wanted to see how both versions compare since I have the time to change my mind if I wanted to.

I just wish there was a way to know for sure both height for each version.

I find the camera being held away from his face on the Bolland looks a little awkward. Probably just me..

Who could they do for Superman? When I think Joker, I think Bolland, Flash; Manapul, Harley is pretty much synonymous with Bruce Timm. I'm actually kind of disappointed they already blew their load on Batman as promotion for DKIII (as cool as the statue is). Though, to be fair, it's Batman, so, it's not like they're going to leave it at one statue.:lol I am curious, though, who the most iconic Superman artist would be. Curt Swan? Gary Frank?

Dan Jurgans

I'd rather see a Curt Swan statue. Jurgans has been done before. The famous Seinfeld statue was based on his work. Swan drew Superman more than any other artist. He deserves some respect. He even drew a Superman statue in a comic they could base it on.

I'd rather see a Curt Swan statue. Jurgans has been done before. The famous Seinfeld statue was based on his work. Swan drew Superman more than any other artist. He deserves some respect. He even drew a Superman statue in a comic they could base it on.

Not that I would argue against a new statue based on his work, but Swan gets plenty of respect. DCD did a Showcase deluxe figure of Superman with all the hilarious switch-out portraits and the WB Store Silver Age statue, which is pure Swan (what a weird phrase . . .) IMO.

s-l1600.jpg

One of my favorite statues in my collection, the Supergirl crashed rocket diorama, is based off his Action Comics #252 cover.

Photo05230619.jpg

Forgot about the first appearance statue. Never cared for the figure. I think there's plenty of room for multiple Superman statues in this line.

Forgot about the first appearance statue. Never cared for the figure. I think there's plenty of room for multiple Superman statues in this line.

No doubt. Neal Adams will technically be second after the Gary Frank Supes & Lois, so it's more than reasonable expectation. The question for me is how faithful a Swan would we get from this line, as the Adams one doesn't really resemble his art in my eyes.

No doubt. Neal Adams will technically be second after the Gary Frank Supes & Lois, so it's more than reasonable expectation. The question for me is how faithful a Swan would we get from this line, as the Adams one doesn't really resemble his art in my eyes.

It doesn't really...I noticed it too in the face sculpt

Joker arrived at my LCS today. DCD continues to impress with their designer series. Well sculpted, tight paint apps, nice pose.
j1.jpg
j2.jpg
j3.jpg

Thanks! A couple things to note: careful unboxing him. Those jacket straps on the back are very delicate. And the promo art doesn't reflect this, but initially it freaked me out how forward he leans. But he's stable on the base and the lower legs are straight and the feet are fairly flush....

Back