Darth Talon Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always found it interesting that an item that has an initial edition size of TBD can be "sold out." Most likely what happens is that a cap is assigned to an initial preorder. After that, everything is waitlist. To those waitlist orders a magic percentage is applied. The "magic percentage" is based on manufacturing cost of those waitlist pieces that won't decrease the overall profit margin per item. Once the percentage is applied, it depends on if there are enough waitlists to cover the increase in edition size. That's why "waitlists work." In this case I think 400 may have been the presale cap and was a mistake.

Dusty already disclosed on these boards that there are preset caps based on expectations. What is most likely the scenario is that they don't sell out the entire edition size based on these preset expectations and allow the Waitlist to fill the rest which is why the TBD is still there. This practice isn't exactly the issue being argued, what is being argued is that SSC published a number and then corrected with a higher number. Now they say it was a mistake but some are pointing out that it isn't the first time this mistake has occurred which has the conspiracy theories running rampant.

Very much agree Lonnie, this isn't a "flipper" issue; while that may be a part of the debate, it is at the core a matter of something being collectible. If there are more of a certain item the desirability is less, and of course it is less collectible. Collectibles do not mean something that someone collects, but items that are somewhat rare, exclusive (in some cases) and sought after. If they were available for everyone, they would just be common.

there's some truth in what u said.

but i don't think the slight (to me) increase in edition size would greatly affect the value. after all, it's not like they tripled the e.s. 650 is still a fairly conservative number for any genre of collectible, more so when u consider the fact that the items are spread out all over the world.

i think high-end stuff like pfs being made in quantities of less than four figures will never be relegated to the status of "common" and thus less valuable. besides, to me it's more about the quality and desirability of a particular collectible. for example, if talon (already a gamble as it is being a non-canon character) was badly-made & a complete dud and nobody wanted to buy her, an e.s of 100 wouldn't mean jack.

There seems to be a lot of passion for this piece. I like it, but I am debating on how to display it. With Maul, Ventress, or both. My inability to decide is kind of turning me off to the figure.

There seems to be a lot of passion for this piece. I like it, but I am debating on how to display it. With Maul, Ventress, or both. My inability to decide is kind of turning me off to the figure.

I would imagine it'd look pretty badass standing back to back with the AV PF

there's some truth in what u said.

but i don't think the slight (to me) increase in edition size would greatly affect the value. after all, it's not like they tripled the e.s. 650 is still a fairly conservative number for any genre of collectible, more so when u consider the fact that the items are spread out all over the world.

i think high-end stuff like pfs being made in quantities of less than four figures will never be relegated to the status of "common" and thus less valuable. besides, to me it's more about the quality and desirability of a particular collectible. for example, if talon (already a gamble as it is being a non-canon character) was badly-made & a complete dud and nobody wanted to buy her, an e.s of 100 wouldn't mean jack.

My comments aren't really driven by value though, I don't equate value as being the same as collectibility. Usually one drives the other, but not all rare items are sought after in monetary terms. You watch though based on the past Star Wars PFs, this will not be hard to find down the road, and the ES should never have increased.

:(

My comments aren't really driven by value though, I don't equate value as being the same as collectibility. Usually one drives the other, but not all rare items are sought after in monetary terms. You watch though based on the past Star Wars PFs, this will not be hard to find down the road, and the ES should never have increased.

:(

well, i agree that ss shouldn't have been so sneaky. but it's a tough business what more in this economy, so i can't be too mad at them.

ultimately, i guess it all boils down to the question of how much do YOU really like this collectible, on a personal level? if u find it a great work of art, then it's unquestionably "worth" collecting.

personally, i LOVE this piece although i don't know much about talon beyond the few issues of legacy i once browsed thru.

from the proto pics, she looks like a real winner. esp the face. gorgeous.

as for the easy-to-find factor of star wars pfs, from my observation it's usually the less popular characters that suffer that fate. also, i believe over-saturation is partly to blame. after all, sw as a merchandising machine has been around forever. and there's just so many versions and incarnations of the same characters (eg: vader). so there's bound to be burn-out at some point...

I canceled cause I would rather get some of the other great stuff coming out.......

LOL...this sounds like a scalper trying to brainwash potential victims.:D

Pardon me, but I am not a scalper. The only time I ever sell items from my collection is when I need to sell, usually not because I want to.

Again, I'll state that raising an edition size after an item is sold out is the issue... not the edition size itself. When you are a company that specialized in collectibles, part of that is the integrity of the edition size.

For those who still claim that edition size means nothing, I wonder how many of you would be placing an order for the Darth Talon if the edition size were, let's say, 40,000? Be honest... probably very few of you.

It's a frickin' number on the bottom of a statue. If you are buying these things for the number on the base you need to check your head and your spending habits. These statues are amazing pieces of collectible art and that is the only reason anyone should be buying it. Edition size is so completely irrelevant.

That's not the point at all. This was very shady, bad form by Sideshow. :nono

I'll be cancelling on principle. Business is business, but this is obviously retroactive greed. And I won't be doing my part to encourage such a practice.

I expect many Wait Lists to convert between now and shipping time. Enjoy.

(BTW, how many times must we witness an obvious bait and switch before it becomes acceptable to call it such?)

SS is going to have to eat it on this one though, if they can't even move a Tusken Raider or Luke/Yoda (which are both great pieces); this obscure Sith sex-pot isn't going anywhere.

Second chance for awhile here.

SS is going to have to eat it on this one though, if they can't even move a Tusken Raider or Luke/Yoda (which are both great pieces); this obscure Sith sex-pot isn't going anywhere.

Second chance for awhile here.

Who would you rather bang...a Tusken Raider or Talon?

Back