Premium Format Darth Malgus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the pose, the menacing expression of the eyes, and multimedia of this PF.
The EX portrait is cool, but I still prefer the mysterious look the breathing mask brings to the character.

Love the pose, the menacing expression of the eyes, and multimedia of this PF.
The EX portrait is cool, but I still prefer the mysterious look the breathing mask brings to the character.

I also prefer the breather, and yes badass pose ;p Tons better then the new Vader :|

I also prefer the breather, and yes badass pose ;p Tons better then the new Vader :|

No doubt!
There are poses you see one time and right away know it's a must have. The ones you see the first time and then have to question it... not a good sign.

Eh, so I posted this on the Statue Collectors fb page but didn't get any response, so I'll post it here.

My malgus PF lightsaber doesn't light up completely anymore. It ranges between 1/4 - 3/4 lit even with new batteries. Just wanted to find out if it's a common problem (sideshow with their unreliable electronics) or if I should genuinely be worried. Cheers guys

If pixel reads this, no it's not the one you fixed and sent back to me, it's the one Sideshow sent to me which I paid shipping for, slightly before you got back to me saying you'd be able to fix mine. So technically I have 2 now, just slightly different in setup.

Eh, so I posted this on the Statue Collectors fb page but didn't get any response, so I'll post it here.

If pixel reads this, no it's not the one you fixed and sent back to me, it's the one Sideshow sent to me which I paid shipping for, slightly before you got back to me saying you'd be able to fix mine. So technically I have 2 now, just slightly different in setup.
You tried it with the AC adapter?

You tried it with the AC adapter?

I did actually. Same result. Which is why I'm guessing it's the electronics (wiring or maybe the metal piece that connects to the saber), it was fine a week ago and now this. Damn looks like I don't have much luck with Sideshow light-up features. Tempted to just call it a day.

I did actually. Same result. Which is why I'm guessing it's the electronics (wiring or maybe the metal piece that connects to the saber), it was fine a week ago and now this. Damn looks like I don't have much luck with Sideshow light-up features. Tempted to just call it a day.

If the other lights are working ok I would say it is probably the saber itself or you are not getting enough power to it for some reason. Do you have a meter you can test the output of the adapter and verify all the batteries are good? I just had an issue with a piece where the adapter went bad AND I had a bad battery too so I was getting ready to start going further, but tested everything again and found I had two issues leading me to think it was something else.

If the other lights are working ok I would say it is probably the saber itself or you are not getting enough power to it for some reason. Do you have a meter you can test the output of the adapter and verify all the batteries are good? I just had an issue with a piece where the adapter went bad AND I had a bad battery too so I was getting ready to start going further, but tested everything again and found I had two issues leading me to think it was something else.

It's definitely about the amount of power getting to the saber. The other lights work fine, and both pixel's replacement saber and this one SS sent me have the same issue. I changed the batteries to new ones, and never really use the adaptor anyway since they're usually off till I feel like it. It just happened out of the blue and feels really odd. I'm not sure if there's any device out there that can measure how much current is reaching the saber bit, but I'd be willing to give it a try if you or anyone else on this forum knows about something like that.

Saber lights up more when I turn it to a certain angle, albeit still not lighting up entirely. Weird.

Sounds like a lack of power if you can play with it and have it light up more. Is there any corrosion in the arm joint? You may need to pick up a multimeter to start digging any further.

So I got a little adventurous today and decided to take a look at the wirings in the base. Basically peeled off the sticker layer on the base. The results:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124900972@N06/shares/qcFBR0

No idea what I was looking at since I don't know my way around these wires very well, so I'll leave it at that. Changed the batteries on my Malgus statue as well, but it only lights up halfway to 3/4. This whole light-up thing is bothering me less and less now (cos, statue, and it's a brilliant one at that) but it is kinda annoying either way. And I don't see SS fixing this issue anytime soon. Do wish they'd follow XM's example by having the batteries much closer to the light-up features to avoid these wiring issues, but that's pretty much asking for the impossible.

having it closer probably won't be a big difference tbh... the chance of the wire itself failing is usually very very small, it's the contact points that need to be soldered etc which essentially are poorly done.

having it closer probably won't be a big difference tbh... the chance of the wire itself failing is usually very very small, it's the contact points that need to be soldered etc which essentially are poorly done.

Right, length would not really solve anything. I have seen the wires fail too, they are so small and if you bend them a few times they can break even under the plastic where you would not see it. Without going deeper you can't really tell anything. If you wanted you could probe into the the wires going up the leg to see what kind of power is getting past the circuitry, but I don't remember if you had a meter or not. That would be my next step before more disassembly.

Hi, I found someone willing to sell me an EX for an OK price, but the lightsaber on that also doesn't work. Is there anyone on the forum who may have or be selling an extra working lightsaber hand for the Malgus PF? mssg me asap!

Hi, I found someone willing to sell me an EX for an OK price, but the lightsaber on that also doesn't work. Is there anyone on the forum who may have or be selling an extra working lightsaber hand for the Malgus PF? mssg me asap!

Hope you get him. Even with the lightsaber turned off, he's a b@d@ss!

Got this the other day and I have to say, this is one of the best looking statues I've ever seen. Simple but nice base, big size with a lot of presence, clean paint app and a killer face sculpt. Most of all, it has attitude. It's a keeper for sure and will probably force me to buy other SW pieces, been looking for some time for a Grievous PF.
Does anyone know who sculpted Malgus?

f9RqL0B.jpg

Trevor Grove did the heads.

Thanks!

As nice as the EX is, I still prefer this one with the respirator. Looks more mysterious.

Yup, Malgus with the breather is the most iconic portrait. Didn't even bother to look for an Ex - got the chance to buy the Reg at retail and jumped on it. Also got Shaak Ti at retail from the same seller, bought them together. She's very nice too, awesome body, a bit messy here and there. Overall, it's Malgus that wowed me. I think I'll have him touched up a bit in some spots, got a few ideas in mind.

Back