Darla is coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had ordered a blue and two red Darla's from Sideshow and debated about cancelling the red ones and buy them at T&S Toys to save some money but with having to pay shipping at both stores I would've only saved $10 and I was worried about them becoming unavailable. So I'm definitely glad I didn't do that!

Time & Space Toys

Evidently Time and Space Toys is more than a bit peeved about not getting their Darla allottment. I got my order cancellation email and here's an interesting excerpt:

"Thank you for your pre-order of Sideshow's 12" Vampire Schoolgirl Darla. Unfortunately Sideshow Collectibles (the manufacturer) has decided to make this figure a limited release and NOT to allow retailers such as Time & Space Toys or the Buffy Collector Club to have access to it in any way. They do not want to sell it to us at a wholesale price so that they may be the only direct source for this item. This way they can take the full $45 as direct profit from you rather than sell it at a discount to stores where we can then pass the discounts to you the customer. This of cource leaves you our valuable customer forced to buy it at the full $45 direct from their website www.sideshowtoy.com Although I am very unhappy about this news, I also do care about my customers and their collections, so I must recommend that if you still want this item to hurry to their website to order as they will be extremely limited and will most likely sell out soon." :confused:

Interesting. :eek:

And this comes from a company that routinely deals in unabashed profiteering and sells convention exclusives and sold-out items for over-inflated prices. 50 bucks gets you the secret password to their Buffy Collector Club. Once in the door (albeit you get a product for "free" to justify the membership fee) their "valuable customer" can save big $$$ on items such as the regularly priced $119.99 Werewolf Oz SDCC Exclusive for only $109.99 or, the $129.99 Vampire Spike Exclusive for a mere $109.99. Even better, you can get a Wild at Heart Oz PALz — an eight-dollar piece of plastic — free, with the purchase of a $100.00 gift certificate! Don't delay! Order two, today!

Who are they kidding and, why are the biting the hand that is feeding them so well?

ktvs.jpg

I understand the frustration at a retailer not being able to carry an item, but the pages for either Darla clearly listed them as an "exclusive". I think that Sideshow may be doing a little market research concerning the numbers of their Buffy items. Der Kinderstod had an edition size that may have been too large, and they even had a few left-over werewolf oz figures upon their return from San Diego, and he was of a significantly smaller edition. Maybe the are trying to gauge the current market size, especially for characters that might appeal to more diehard collectors. No reason for them to make 7,500 Jonathon figures if they can't get sales past 1,000 on other figures. I can't imagine they are happy to see so many of their 1/6 scale figures going for pretty cheap prices on ebay. Maybe Darla is a chance to see what the market can bear. Just make sure you make plenty of Cordy's and Giles's!! You listening Sideshow?

Yes, I think the market testing is probably a smart thing and I'm all for it if it means more Buffy characters. I'm wondering if Darla was EVER confirmed for retailers.

Darklord Dave said:
Yes, I think the market testing is probably a smart thing and I'm all for it if it means more Buffy characters. I'm wondering if Darla was EVER confirmed for retailers.

I think it would be a strong possibility some retailers just expected to be getting this as had been normal with the other figs and were truely surprised to find out otherwise. Similar to the shocked retailers who had taken backorders and oversold preorders for LOTR a while back not expected SS to begin retiring pieces. So the retailers had to cancel orders. Big bump in the road, but what are going to do.

Regarding edition sizes, I'm sure Sideshow is gun-shy cause Willow still hasn't sold out her 750 exclusives.

Maybe if she looked like Willow they'd have sold a lot more.
:horror

Sideshow is obviously migrating to a direct-only business model and, that’s fine with with me. If it’s a means to an end for more fan-favorite Buffy, Uni Monsters, fill_in_the_blank_ figures, I’m all for it. Considering Darla’s edition size and, factoring in two different outfits, I suspect they are barely breaking even.

anyk_bnnr.jpg

It does seem unlikely that they could make a profit on something like Darla. I don't know that the color of the outfits makes a difference since they're using the same pattern, but 1250 total for an edition size for a $45 figure doesn't seem like there's much room for profit. And maybe it being all direct sales is the only way to do it. I'm sorry for the retailers, especially those like T&S who seem to really want to support Buffy product, but if this is the only way we're going to see more obscure characters - I'm all for it.

i think they will profit from Darla, it seems to be sellin well, both verisons are the top sellers atm so I think they'll make it profit. I REALLY hope sideshow isnt not making a large amount because they think it wont sell. Because they would if they are all done right. I mean Willow hasnt but its obvious why, it isnt willow! Der kinderstod(althouh a really good fig) was just TOO out there for them to do. he was in one ep and i didnt even like the character of him that much. i mean it was a good ep but i think they shouldve chosen a more core character. if they want a monster why not the Judge? but i think the line will continue to do well if they nail the figs and choose good characters to do. i gess theyre trying to spread them out so we get the core characters spread out along with the monsters and other characters. as long as we get GILES, CORDELIA, ANYA, THE MAYOR, GLORY and mayb another willow ill be happy anlong with the other offereing we get!

I think Willow originally sold well until people saw what the figure really looked like. I remember that the Exclusive version had been sold out and I remember a lot of people cancelling their orders when pictures of the actual figure started coming out.

And when Der Kindestod came out people either loved him or hated him. A lot who hated him thought he was just too creepy looking and they didn't want something like that in their house. I got him because I want the complete collection but wasn't initially thrilled with the choice but when I got him and saw how great he was done I now love him. And I know he's still available to order but I do remember getting a newsletter that stated there were less than 200 of him left at one time so I think he pretty much almost sold out.

I also think Darla is selling well too - both colors have been listed in the Most Popular section from the minute they were available.

I think the repeat characters were a huge factor too. People are tired of Buffy, Angel, & Spike. Notice none of the latest version's exclusives have sold out yet. Yet Dru and Oz exclusives sold out pretty quickly.

I'll take all figures and versions that Sideshow throws at us, but I guess not all people feel that way.

Last edited:
I havent got her yet, I will once i have the money for her! can be annoyin for me as it takes me weeks and weeks to save for collectibles. Since im only fourteen i cant get a job yet, soon tho!

my sideshow wishlist is:

THE INVISIBLE MAN (SIDESHOW EXCLUSIVE)

-DARLA-SIDSHOW EXCLUSIVE(ordered)
-ANGEL (saving for atm)
-DRUSILLA
-OZ
-VAMPIRE WILLOW
-The Master
-Vampire Buffy

-PART 7 JASON

Planet of the Apes-Taylor
Planet of the Apes-Dr Zaius

LOTR- Helm of Sauron

i have many more but im trying to cull it down...hopefully i can manage to get afew for xmas! well mayb one. i like to be hopeful.

BDboystoys said:
Der kinderstod(althouh a really good fig) was just TOO out there for them to do. he was in one ep and i didnt even like the character of him that much. i mean it was a good ep but i think they shouldve chosen a more core character. if they want a monster why not the Judge? but i think the line will continue to do well if they nail the figs and choose good characters to do.

I think this is likely the point. The fan base for some of the more obscure characters is much lower than far the core group, but it is still there. It appears they want to cater to the desires of those who want a complete list of characters no matter how much or how little screen time they got. Obviously however the edition sizes are going to be drastically different, with many figures having a very low edition size. Again, as has been said before, if the only way to see the realization is direct-only orders from SS, so be it. Really no different for me, since I most always order the exclusive from SS over a regular version anyway.

like I said b4, i REALLY hope sideshow dont downsize the edition sizes for all the future products in the fear they wont sell, coz they will if they choose the right character and nail the figures appearance.

LONG LIVE THE LINE!

Btw do you think Sideshow has considered or put in any thought towards an Angel or Firefly line? It would do very well.

I'm a little surprised that Der K hasn't done better, even though he's a rather obscure Buffy villain he's a darn cool looking monster and one of the most perfectly executed figures in the line.

Darklord Dave said:
I'm a little surprised that Der K hasn't done better, even though he's a rather obscure Buffy villain he's a darn cool looking monster and one of the most perfectly executed figures in the line.

I still have to stop and look at the way they did the eyestalks. He is definitely an amazing figure. And believe it or not, I think he is my oldest girls favorite. She had never really had any interested in the other Buffy figs, but talks about Der K quite a bit.

Virtual Darla

Don't recall this being mentioned in this thread before but, a full-size QuickTime™ VR of Red Darla is available for download on the Darla products pages.

She looks great! Well, her head may be a tad pointy but, it's really not a distraction. In fact, IMHO, it actually complements the severity of the brow ridges and cheekbones.

Check it out and buy, buy, buy!!!

Edit: Just noticed the announcement in the newsletter. I guess I just stumbled across it a bit early.

prmtv.gif

Last edited:
Back