Dark Empire Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem is now that the EU is so vast.
there are fantastic stories and truly awful stuff too.

i, for one am glad that they have announced that the new books are going to be trilogies rather than huge arcs after fate of the jedi as its just led to the big three just never stopping and they're too old in universe now.

legacy (the comic) is ok- but too soon to the movies

what they need to go and i guess they are trying is too decompress a bit- slow the output and maximise the quality

thats why its a both good and a shame about the live action tv series
good - cause its new territory but bad because you know some w~%ker
will fill it "clever" references.

the thing with all kotor stuff for me is the technology and armour seems wrong- like the tor trailer it looks like the armour is at least as good as the armour the clones wear- 4 thousand years of no developments??

they just need to careful to over do it - but i did enjoy the tor book and loved kotor comics and games

.....and ref palpatine clone - i like to think of it as just that a clone - a trick a ploy - flash taught and a back door trick by palpatine

after all i thought only a jedi can achieve the transition??:lecture

newp. sith have force ghosts as well. Exar Kun in the jedi academy trilogy, or the several sith ghosts in the graveyard at Korriban.

the thing is, jedi are content with the ghost method, sith crave the material world.

the Jedi order fell largely to do with their narrow minded thinking and their faith in prophecy… if Anakin was indeed manufactured by Palpatine, it only demonstrates further as to how the Jedi Order's faith had blinded them… to a point of near extinction.

the saga has layers… some may choose the spiritual aspects (Balance of the Force) and some may favor the more scientific ones (Anakin being created by the Sith).

The way I see it (now,anyway) is that the end of ROTJ is Anakin removing the emperor's hold on him, and rejecting the darkside. Luke rejects it too, but the story was about Anakin really. That's why I don't mind Palpatine coming back, but I would have minded if it had been Vader instead of Luke.

Also, I LOVE Luke's design in Dark Empire...

I recommend reading the Darth Bane books. Prequels that have the ultimate Sith...and they actually focus on how he kicks Jedi arse.
The Darth Bane books were good, but I thought the little parasites that he had growing on him were a bit silly; especially considering that he was able to take on three Jedi and the little bugs on him just deflected the lightsaber blows.

Other than my Asajj Ventress PF, the only other EU character that I would want (and it would have to be a PF) would be:

01.jpg

Last edited:
The Darth Bane books were good, but I thought the little parasites that he had growing on him were a bit silly; especially considering that he was able to take on three Jedi and the little bugs on him just deflected the lightsaber blows.

Indeed the worst part of those books. And not surprisingly, all of that came from previous EU comic stories, which Karpyshyn was forced to follow for EU continuity. It's no coincidence that the second of the three books is by far the weakest... it was the one most filled with crappy EU "canon". When Karpyshyn is able to blaze his own trail, those books shine. Just like KOTOR.

Like I said I still haven read the Bane novels but I have read the comics. I personally didn't have much of a problem the Orbalisk armor but I understand why most don't seem to like it.

I have to try and find the quote but wasn't it written somewhere about jedi being the only ones to release their "self" and achieve
"immortality" so a sith could never do it?

Hence anakin at the end of rots rather than vader?
And exar was more trapped in the temple until he was released as opposed to wandering around like Ben?

The origin of the Orbalisk is lame like them feeding off the darkside as well as being lightsaber resistant etc but I did like the way it looked. Gave Bane kind of an archaic look like the Sith during the Golden Age like Naga Sadow though I'll admit Bane's mask looke kinda dumb.

Marka Ragnos appeared as a Force ghost in Jedi Academy as did Ajunta Pall in KOTOR.
Yes I susppse it just shows the inconsitencies in the eu
I don't know why I have soman issue with the body swapping - hell compare itto some of the crap dc and marvel pull it's nothing

Yes I susppse it just shows the inconsitencies in the eu
I don't know why I have soman issue with the body swapping - hell compare itto some of the crap dc and marvel pull it's nothing

Indeed, that's one of my major gripes about EU is the inconsistancies. For instance, Sidious is said to be the greatest and most powerfull of the Sith Lords to ever have lived but I never heard of him draining an entire planet of Force energy like Nihilus.

Sidoius is great because of how old he was, as well as his ability to plan. Sidious is rumored to have been over a thousand years old due to his cloning and body-hopping. further credence is given to this theory based upon the fact of how much older he looks in ATOC vs how he looks in Revenge of the sith.

Sidious was subtle in his use of power, and as such, he was very VERY successful.

He used his power like a surgeon uses a scalpel. with precision, and using only as much as he absolutely needs to to accomplish his goals.

it's worth noting that Sidious never did drain a planet of it's life essence, but that's not saying he couldn't have.

Nihilus, on the other hand, was using abilities that were not Sith powers per se. he was refereed to in the game as an aberration. a tear, or wound in the force. Kryat eventually asked Nihilus's ghost how he did the things he did, but Nihilus refuses to give up his secrets to one he deems a "usurper"
Nihilus used his power like a sledgehammer. bringing it down brutally on those that opposed him.

it's worth nothing that in both cases, once BOTH sith lords started being extremely overt, they eventually fell, due to the attention they garnered.

I enjoy reading the EU... Dark Empire was a really good series IMO.. I like how Luke try to find out why his dad turned.. Inregards to his outfit it looks great, even better he wears the his fathers robe colors in the Invasion Comics...

darth bane..Very cool character... Him and his apprentices take on 5 Jedis at the end of Rule of Two nobel and slaughter them. His trainning at the sith academy was very interesting and how he became the true sith lord...

Sidoius is great because of how old he was, as well as his ability to plan. Sidious is rumored to have been over a thousand years old due to his cloning and body-hopping. further credence is given to this theory based upon the fact of how much older he looks in ATOC vs how he looks in Revenge of the sith.

Sidious was subtle in his use of power, and as such, he was very VERY successful.

He used his power like a surgeon uses a scalpel. with precision, and using only as much as he absolutely needs to to accomplish his goals.

it's worth noting that Sidious never did drain a planet of it's life essence, but that's not saying he couldn't have.

Nihilus, on the other hand, was using abilities that were not Sith powers per se. he was refereed to in the game as an aberration. a tear, or wound in the force. Kryat eventually asked Nihilus's ghost how he did the things he did, but Nihilus refuses to give up his secrets to one he deems a "usurper"
Nihilus used his power like a sledgehammer. bringing it down brutally on those that opposed him.

it's worth nothing that in both cases, once BOTH sith lords started being extremely overt, they eventually fell, due to the attention they garnered.

I thought I read in an interview Lucas said Sidious himself i.e. not just his current body would have been no older the McDairmid himself. But also in DE Sidious does say "it isn't the first time he's died nor will it be the last". And in KOTOR 2, Kreia mentioned something about Nihilus learning the greatest of the Sith teachings which I asummed was hunger. The Exile was also a wound in the Force but didn't have the need to drain planets. But yeah I get and mostly agree with everything you said.

Truth be told I really need to get into my storage shed and find all my old SW comics and re-read them. My memory on alot of this stuff is pretty fuzzy.

I'd forgotten about the hunger. DOH.

Then again, as i said, Nihilus liked to use nuclear bombs to swat flies.

I've not heard this from Lucas about palpie's age, but then cest'la'vie.

Darth Sidious is indeed officially the most powerful Sith Lord to ever exist. Draining a planet of its energy is indeed within his power--he slowly drained the energies of Byss and all of its inhabitants. After all, it is optimal to make use of them as a renewable resource than to suck them dry.

I'm not arguing Sidious is the most powerfull (I agree he is) and I totally forgot about Byss but in EU alot of other Sith Lords display tremendous feats that neither Sidious or Vader ever showed in the movies or EU, like Bane when he destroyed pretty much all of the Sith Empire and Lord Hoth's army not to mention the Sith Emperor from TOR who has lived thousands of years (presumeably without the use of clones) yet looks like he's in his 20 in the comics and Darth Sion repeatedly survived injuries that probably would have killed someone even as powerfull as Vader yet Sidious "dies" after being thrown off a bridge.

Back