1/6 Daftoys Batman Begins - Scarecrow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw his side by side comp vid w HT and decided to pick it up now that I'm getting the HT Batman Begins...

Will weather jacket myself, easy.

ALWAYS wanted this to go w horse and now can finally do that.

Some Murphy heads around, i know jaxxon does one but don't need it or want to wait for a HT reissue years away , so this will have to do.

Got him today, great figure! And way cheaper than Hot Toys will put him up for if they re-release him.

IMG_20210408_124620.jpgIMG_20210408_124627.jpgIMG_20210408_130033.jpgIMG_20210408_125757.jpgIMG_20210408_125800.jpg

Just pucked him up, the outstanding tailoring , taller body, and those boots sold me. Thinking about picking up a horse, always wanted to.

I figured, even if HT re releases a Scarecrow BB or DK companian piece, it won't be much different than the original, even IF they include a murphy sculpt and a gas device, well you can always pick up those parts somewhere down the line.

And this piece is better than the HT og, and this one has the boots!

Just pucked him up, the outstanding tailoring , taller body, and those boots sold me. Thinking about picking up a horse, always wanted to.

I figured, even if HT re releases a Scarecrow BB or DK companian piece, it won't be much different than the original, even IF they include a murphy sculpt and a gas device, well you can always pick up those parts somewhere down the line.

And this piece is better than the HT og, and this one has the boots!

When you say taller body do you mean a regular narrow shoulder as opposed to the slim I guess HT used on theirs?

Cillian is barely 5' 8" so when I got the Headplay I put him onto a slim.

Due to the lack of shorter bodies (apart from the Bruce Lee kind) I suspected DAF would just go with the regular narrow that I would have to shorten.

For the boots, going by the photos and videos, I prefer the Headplay ones. I presume they're a recast of the HT but they look better than they appeared in The Third Party Reviews' video.

As long as boots are sculpted and painted well enough I generally prefer them to pleather or fabric since they tend to look better. The Headplay ones are closer to the actual Batman Begins boots:

48619885.DSC_4936.jpg

The DAFTOYS boots don't look a very convincing replica at all to me. They give off more the appearance of a late Victorian or early twentieth century formal boot, as opposed to military or work wear. I probably won't be using them since for the suit look he should be in black shoes:

main-qimg-3b7008073db454887f7f7d34e60e700e-c

I'm currently in the process of reducing the height and bulk of a narrow shoulder body to use for the Headplay set, so I can free up the HT Slim for the DAF.

The shorter stature and smaller build should help in creating his more dishevelled appearance, as the DAF suit is too tailored for Crane.

When you say taller body do you mean a regular narrow shoulder as opposed to the slim I guess HT used on theirs?

Cillian is barely 5' 8" so when I got the Headplay I put him onto a slim.

Due to the lack of shorter bodies (apart from the Bruce Lee kind) I suspected DAF would just go with the regular narrow that I would have to shorten.

Taller. See third party reviews or Justin's comp review.

The new HT BB body will also be taller. And I'm a sucker for real boots. Close enough for me.

Yes, much better straight jacket, better material and has great weathering.

Daftoys jacket thin. Will weather it myself, so easy.

Boots look cheap but some weathering will likely hide that. You don't see too much of them.

Daftoys is definitely a good solid Scarecrow. If you're good at weathering, then it is the superior one.

Wor-Gar said:
I really like the suit, shirt and tie... and the two heads.

HT wins for straitjacket and boots though.

Boots look cheap but some weathering will likely hide that. You don't see too much of them.

Daftoys is definitely a good solid Scarecrow. If you're good at weathering, then it is the superior one.

Reading through the HT Scarecrow thread last week there were quite a few complaints about the tailoring of the trousers. That's something the 'Headplay' addressed when they did theirs around 2015. I was reminded when putting the clothes onto the modified body the other day just how good that bootleg was.

In the comics I think some of his origin stories relate that he was made fun of for being badly dressed. The Nolan trilogy went with this angle as Crane isn't a snappy dresser. In Batman Begins his jacket is often crumpled, and appears a bit oversized even while wearing the sleeveless pullover underneath.

55360-1532336916.jpg

In the Dark Knight his decline is even more evident and he appears more like a tramp with his shirt not even tucked in.

As a stickler for actor heights I've made the Headplay straitjacketed 'Scarecrow' a scale sub 5' 8", with the new body matching the HT Slim that I'll use for the Daf suited 'Crane'.

Daf's shirt and tie with the pullover are a mix of BB and TDK, but I do like the colour combination. Having removed the white shirt and blue tie from the Headplay, since they're not required and only add bulk, I have options for the new figure.

The last piece of the puzzle are the shoes he wears in BB. I've spotted only one screencap that shows them:

51108125157_0aee6619b4_o.jpg

They may well be the same as he's wearing in TDK, and I have a pair of small non-shiny boots from an old figure that replicate shoes well enough.

Still on footwear, it always baffled me why HT had promo photos with the trousers pushed up to the boot tops. I've gone through BB frame by frame and at all times his boots were covered by the trousers. I can only surmise that HT either did it to show off the boots, or were copying the prop display which had also apparently done it to show off the boots.

The Daf Scarecrow finally arrived.

Good to finally have the maggoty sculpt in hand, though not sure why they went with two completely different neck socket pieces. Only the maggot sculpt is designed to go on the Daf figure. To use the older Headplay style recast on the Daf, you have to swap neck sockets.

Also, in the bag with the second sculpt were two bar bell type pieces of differing lengths. No idea what they're meant for.

The clothing is really well done. Good tailoring for the suit, shirt and pullover. Should look more 'Crane-like' on the HT Slim.

The boots, as expected, are a poor substitute for the moulded Headplay version. They don't look anything like they're supposed to, so it's one of those cases of a third party company putting in unnecessary effort and achieving nothing in return - like when VTS make up a fake character name and put that name on the base. In that regard DafToys pulled no punches and went way beyond the call of duty. They weren't afraid to put 'Batman Begins Scarecrow' on the box, or a 'Scarecrow' nameplate on the stand. They obviously like to live more dangerously than VTS/DAM.

The boots might be useful for something in the future, though I'm not sure what. At the moment they're a nuisance since the ankles don't want to separate from the legs. It's tempting to just cut the ****ers off.

EDIT:

The only way to remove the boots is to pull the boot from the ankle peg. It takes a lot of force to break the connection, and that amount of stress can destroy a pleather boot. But, it's the only way and the boots are expendable. They both did actually survive the ordeal.

One better designed feature of the figure is his sleeveless pullover. It's fastened down one side with velcro to make it easier to remove - a bit like the shirt on Hot Toys' latest Hellboy.

Now that the clothes are off I understand the two odd barbell joints. This is a type of body I don't recognise. Seems slimmer than a normal narrow shoulder, but not as slim or short as a HT Slim. The neck has a unique looking connection, with a plug at one end and a ball at the other. The smaller ones, with the option of two differing heights, fit the second sculpt.

The DafToys body is very good. Not right for Cillian Murphy's Jonathan Crane but it will be perfect for something. It reminds me of a CooModel, quite heavy and sculpted throughout with muscle definition.

This is the Daf set on the HT Slim (with a pair of old Ultimate Soldier boots for shoes):

51139212282_a07ca0183a_o.jpg

A cross between his Batman Begins and The Dark Knight appearance.

51106794431_dd7173d231_o.jpg

The Daf maggot sculpt on the Headplay:

51140661434_46875b8181_o.jpg

51139888436_2c289274b4_o.jpg

I put the Daf straitjacket onto the custom figure:

51144002132_6371e9eeec_o.jpg

51144902438_027548187c_o.jpg

It feels more in-keeping, tying the costume together. It also makes me think of an evolution from Crane's costumes in the Gotham series merged with the comic books. Covering all bases!

gotham-season-4-episode-2-review-fear-the-reaper.jpg

scarecrows-army-tall-gotham-s5e1.jpg

51145498264_db3eef9b9c_o.jpg

Got mine, changed neck joints, really happy with it. Keeping him in TDK mode for now, but will def pick up a horse and go Arkham horse riding whack job with it one day soon.

Back