Custom Shelves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drakul

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having some custom shelves built and I was wondering what you would recommend is a good size for depth on average so that I don't have issues displaying big statues (Hulk types) in the future.

16" would be ideal but is it too small? Do I need to go 18" or deeper which might not be possible? (yes that's what she said). :dunno

Hey guys, I'm having some custom shelves built and I was wondering what you would recommend is a good size for depth on average so that I don't have issues displaying big statues (Hulk types) in the future.

16" would be ideal but is it too small? Do I need to go 18" or deeper which might not be possible? (yes that's what she said). :dunno

I think you need bigger than 16" personally. I would go as deep as you can ( :) ) You don't want anything looking cramped.

For hulks 18 is not enough I have 17" shelves and not even close to fitting, I can't display my hulks in shelves.

I ended up going for 20"

I'm finally having my custom shelves built so I'll be posting progress pics as we go.

6cn9.jpg

The idea is to have the left and right section be 12" deep and be mostly for my games, CDs.....I might put some smaller 1:7 1:8 figures there if I lack space.
The center area will have a supporting wall in the middle so it'll be basically 2 sections of 35"
I'm going 20" deep because I want some leeway for my bigger pieces like Planet Hulk, Batman or Galactus but since I don't collect humongous piece 20" should be more than enough.

It's not going to be anything super high tech, basically wood shelves top to bottom. I might do some glass shelves later down the line if I want to but right now I'm saving on $$. Not doing any glass doors or pre-lighting either. I'll add some LED (wireles or not) later.

Those shelves look really nice Drakul. Be sure to post some updated pics once they get filled up.

Thanks guys.

The stupid painter was supposed to come saturday to give an estimate but he didn't show up and when we called him he said he couldn't find the house and started on another job.

What kind of ****ing professionalism is that?! :gah:

He's supposed to be good but now I want to tell him to **** off.

Thanks guys.

The stupid painter was supposed to come saturday to give an estimate but he didn't show up and when we called him he said he couldn't find the house and started on another job.

What kind of ****ing professionalism is that?! :gah:

He's supposed to be good but now I want to tell him to **** off.

Ha ha, LOL! That sounds like a painter all right. Don't pay him until the job is COMPLETELY done! I had a few odds and ends left after paying a recent house painter and I could never get the guy to come back.

Your shelves look great! I tackled building some shelves too and they are already full :slap Mine ended up being pretty deep and I painted them myself which was my least favorite part. I'm going to be spraying in the future rather than brushing... so many hours.

What is with painters, having issues with this guy painting the house too.
Those shelves do look great

I'm surprised the carpenter didn't send everything out for paint or stain before final installation. It's insanely difficult to paint built-ins once they've been installed with anything except a brush and/or small roller - and the finish will never be as nice as when sprayed - it will never be "furniture quality."

Other than that, the built-in looks excellent.

If anyone needs a dependable and extremely high quality professional painter in the GTA, send me a PM as I have one to refer.

A good painter is hard to find for sure.

That's a typical built-in. I see lots of them in new homes. With removable shelves that'll be a cinch to spray well and you should get a good furniture quality finish on that with no problem.

That's gonna be an awesome display when it's all done. :rock

Hi folks, been in a while and for those who don't check the collection thread I've finally had a 'decent' painter come by! :blissy

6v8i.jpg

Now I need to work on running a spliced parallel LED strip (which I have no idea how so pixelpiper I'm PMing you :p)

Back