Custom Map Room Diorama (photos)See details page 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmettojoe

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Custom Map Room Diorama…
Hello there fellow forum members… I have been amazed at the talent of all the great customizers here on the forum and for some time had wanted to have something to contribute…So I wanted to share with you the diorama that I made for a recent event and hope that you will enjoy the photos.
A bit of background: A few months back I purchased one of Indiana Paul’s Map room building sets and was just blown away by the great detail that he put into the them. When it arrived my son and I spent the evening putting the set out and aligning the buildings up like the scene depicted in Raiders… It was at that time that inspiration struck and I began to come up with some ideas to create the map room scene in the form of a diorama and to use the building set along with my Hot Toys Indy figure. Seeing the fabulous dioramas that Ron Hemble has created and shared with everyone on the forum inspired me to take the leap myself and see what I could create. In no way does my work begin to compare with his…but I just wanted to see what I was capable of doing.
The biggest challenge was trying to match the scale of painting the images to the 1:6 scale figure. To the detailed eyes of the forum members here it is not 100% completely accurate to what we see on screen…but using the only available images I could find (Raiders of the Lost Ark Storybook and Screen images from the DVD)… I tried to get it as close as I could…with some little changes here and there…

This was really a fun project to work on and I was happy with the end results. Every morning before school my son would look at the work I had completed the night before and would offer up suggestions on what else I needed to paint or details I needed to add.

Since I have not mastered the ability to post photos within threads...I sent a few photos of the finished diorama to Paul and he has graciously offered to post them here for me when he gets a chance…. The diorama measures 4ft x 2ft x 19 inches high. The first photos that will be posted show the full building setup along with a few extra buildings I made to fill up the empty spaces. If you would like to see some close up photos of the backdrop and the details I added to the buildings I will be happy to provide them as well. Remember..this is my first attempt at this sort of thing.... So I am prepared for detailed scrutiny. I am a stickler for detail like many of you here so for some it may not be quite up to your standards but I still hope it meets your approval. I hope you all enjoy the photos.....Thanks for letting me share them here with you all.

Kind regards,
Bill (palmettojoe)

Last edited:
Re: Custom Map Room Diorama

Oops, sorry. Bill sent the photos for me to post. I haven't had a chance until now. Here they are:

Here are some photos of the backdrop.
Layout and finished panels

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

Last edited:

Man that's crazyness... looks awesome!!! Is that like a showing or a convention? I wonder what comments you got! :)

Great work...take that sideshow ;)

HOLY SMOKES, MY FRIEND, I'M SO PLEASED YOU'RE NOT DEAD!

Seeing this kills me though. That's just insane, awesome work! And look how happy your kid is.

Now you know, now that you started this, you have to put the 'hole with sunlight' spilling on the floor. :D

And some more photos...
IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

So what show are you at? You have badges.

Re: Custom Map Room Diorama (Updated with photos)

Your skills at CREATING this thing are amazing.

That's the thing that really gets me is how you were able to re-create that scene. I mean, there can't be a lot of reference for that wall so it's not like you can just copy it down or anything. . . . man. . . really awesome piece.

Fantastic work! Kudos to you!:duff

Just the hieroglyphics alone was a feat on its own, but then to build the multi-layered platforms?!? Wow.

And the winner of the Science Fair for his study of the effects of civilization and sand erosion...

Amazing work, you are a genius :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Hey there everyone…Let me say Thank You for all of your kind comments about my diorama. After reading some of your posts I thought I would share a little bit about the diorama. By the way when my son got home from school the other day my wife showed him the post and boy was he thrilled when he saw the picture of us on the forum. Thanks again to Paul for posting these for me!
First, what started out as an idea…seemed a daunting task to undertake….but then as I started working on it…the project really didn’t seem like work but something FUN! When I came up with the idea I knew just the venue to display it… I attend the Joelanta- G I Joe show in Atlanta, Georgia every March. I have been collecting GI Joes since the 60s’s and the bug has rubbed off on my son. They always have a custom figure and a custom diorama contest every year so my son wanted us to enter something this year. If you ever get a chance to attend it is a great show and they have two of the best diorama builders anywhere. They don’t enter the dioramas they create….they are the showpiece for the show every year and are the hit of the show.
There aren’t that many images from which to get ideas from at least I could not find many. As I mentioned the Raiders Story Book had one great view of the map room on the inside of the cover and there were a few color photos of Indy from which I could get some ideas of color. The only other resource was screen images from the DVD. (Lots of pause and replay on the DVD to see each and every little part of the map room scene)
The back drop was painted on a section of drywall/sheetrock. I peeled the paper off so that the material could be carved to look like stone. Once I figured out the exact scale I then drew the images on the drywall and painted with acrylic paint. The cool thing about using drywall is that you can make marks and dents to make it look like stone….The most time consuming part was drawing the hieroglyphics…talk about eye strain!
Every day I would see some other little detail to add. I would watch the DVD…pause and then try to duplicate what I could see and then it started to come together. Paul’s buildings are really amazing and are very detailed. All I had to do was to paint a light wash of color to give the stone a good hi-lite and show off the detail. The one building I really wanted to make sure everyone would notice is the infamous “Nicht Storen” painted lettering. And yes it is painted on both sides with a little red swastika just like that millisecond of viewing we see on the film. For the tablet base I just used pieces of drywall to build them up to look like a huge slab of sandstone. Likewise, the steps are also made out of drywall, shaped and painted. The individual buildings as you can see in the photos were glued to small sections of paneling to make it easy to set up. The one building I had to create was the one at the front part of the tablet base. It is only on screen for a very few seconds and I could not find a really good photo of it so I had to get creative with a little bit of sculpey modeling clay. The last detail and the easiest one to add was sand. I searched and found the whitest sand I could find and just lightly covered everything and piled it up along the edge of the backdrop. I used the Hot Toys Indy and the Staff of Ra that came with the figure. I opted to make my own robe and head wrap for Indy…just to give it more of a custom feel. The little map room brush was made from sculpey and the bristles of an old paint brush. The notebook was just painted card stock that I grabbed out of the recycle bin.
It really was a fun project but the best part was working on it with my son. You all have been very kind in your comments and for that I am humbled. I consider it high praise coming from such a distinguished group of folks on this board. In case you were wondering….. We did win 1st Place! Lots of questions…and lots of people going over it with a fine tooth comb looking at every little detail.
Thanks again for your very kind comments. If you have any questions feel free to let me know. That is one of the great things about this board everyone is so willing to share. I know I have learned a lot from this forum and hope to continue to learn more.
Regards,
Bill

Back